KeyCleaner fixes keys but still, it won't let me upgrade

Manete

Jul 27, 2008, 9:53:19 AM7/27/08
to Chilly Willy's Ice Flow
Hi!

My PSP is a Fat White TA-082 model. I currently have 3.52 M33-4
installed and I want to upgrade to 4.01M33.

When I tried to upgrade the 1st time, I got the typicall message "some
of you idstorage keys have not the correct values, probably due to a
downgrader. In order to continue, press x to restore the correct
values, press R to exit"

I obviously exited..

I tried KC v1.4 and after analyzing finished, it reported:

key 0x0004 ... failed! This key is clear and shouldn't be.
key 0x0005 ... failed! This key is a copy of the key 0x0004.
key 0x0006 ... failed! This key is a copy of the key 0x0005.

PSP is noobz soft-downed.

I fixed the keys. Analyzed them over again and everything seemed to be
fine ("Congratulations!...etc.)

However, when I try to upgrade to CF 4.01M33 I get once again the same
message: "some of you idstorage keys have not the correct values....."

What's wrong? What can I do?

Thank you very much for your time and efforts.

ChillyW...@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2008, 2:44:05 AM7/29/08
to Chilly Willy's Ice Flow
If only key 5 is "bad" (it should be Chilly Willy patched right now),
the upgrader is supposed to alter that as it installs. However, I've
seen some people whose PSP are missing some keys... usually key 7 and
8. If you run IdStorage Manager and try to view key 7 and 8, you
should see valid keys. If you get an error, that's the problem.

If that IS the problem, what you do is create key 7 and 8 with IDSM.
They will at that point be blank. Dump the keys with IDSM. Then
replace the 0x0007.bin and 0x0008.bin in the dump with good key 7 and
8 files. Then go back into IDSM and verify/fix the keys.

Manete

Jul 29, 2008, 7:26:56 AM7/29/08
to Chilly Willy's Ice Flow
Hi Chilly Willy!
Thanks for your support.

I've used ISDM v1.3 to test my keys.
Once dumped and read, here you are the results (just in case you're
able to see other key with wrong values...)

The following keys (*) dropped this message:
Attempt to read key returned code 80000025
Key appears to be: non-existent
(...and there's no code at all on screen)
(*) 0000, 0001, 0002, 0003, 0009, 000A, 000B, 000C, 000D, 000E, 0048
to 004F, 0052 to 00FF, 0141

The following keys (*) dropped this message:
(screen with code..)
Key appears to be: unknown
(*) 0007, 0008, 0010 to 0013, 0040, 0050, 0051, 0100 to 0106, 0120 to
0126

The following keys (*) dropped this message:
(screen with 0's..)
Key appears to be: clear
(*) 000F, 0014 to 003F, 0042, 0044, 0046, 0107 to 011F, 0127 to 0140

Key 5 was Chilly Willy patched, of course.

Keys 7 and 8 dropped the "unknown" value, is that an error message?
They appear to exist but are tagged as unknown. Strange?
If I need to replace keys 7 and 8, where do I get these valid keys my
fatty TA-082? I know nobody who owns a fatty TA-082.

I stopped reading keys at key 0141. If you should need to know more
specific values, just tell me.

Again, than you very much for your time.
Manete

ChillyW...@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2008, 4:22:22 PM7/30/08
to Chilly Willy's Ice Flow
That sounds like it's fine. Looking back at you original message, do
you still get

"some of you idstorage keys have not the correct values, probably due
to a downgrader. In order to continue, press x to restore the correct
values, press R to exit"

If so, it's PROBABLY just key 5, and you should just press X and it'll
unpatch it and continue on installing the updated cfw. Remember, new
firmware (3.70+) doesn't need key 5 patched, so on PSPs with a patched
key 5, the updater will unpatch key 5 before installing the update.

Manete

Jul 31, 2008, 9:28:48 AM7/31/08
to Chilly Willy's Ice Flow
Hi again Chilly Willy.

Yes, I still get the message "some of you idstorage keys have not the
correct values, probably due to a downgrader. In order to continue,
press x to restore the correct values, press R to exit".

By reading your last answer, my intuition says I'm about to face a
delicate moment...
Let's see if I properly understood: Key 5 is the responsible key when
an upgrade fails to be executed. However although it's Chilly Willy
patched, when upgrading to a CF 3.70 or higher, then it does not
matter if key 5 was Chilly Willy patched or not because the upgrader
needs to unpatch it anyway.

So my last move should be pressing 'X' when prompted by the upgrader
(I'm moving from 3.52 M33-4 to 4.01 M33).
Is this more than a reasonably risky opperation? I mean, do I have a
high percert of bricking my PSP by pressing that 'X'?

I know that a bricked PSP can be turned back to life by using a
Pandora battery and some soft in a MS, but in this case (if my PSP
bricks) would this be usefull? I'm asking you so, bacause I understand
that patching/unpatching keys from the IdStorage is a farther delicate
thing than flashing a firmware.

I've already dumped my current keys and backed up my NAND Dump Bin
files.

I'll wait for you final message before I push the button... ;)

Once again, than you very much for your time.
Manete

ChillyW...@gmail.com

Aug 2, 2008, 12:50:15 AM8/2/08
to Chilly Willy's Ice Flow
On Jul 31, 7:28 am, Manete <gea...@ono.com> wrote:
> Hi again Chilly Willy.
>
> Yes, I still get the message "some of you idstorage keys have not the
> correct values, probably due to a downgrader. In order to continue,
> press x to restore the correct values, press R to exit".
>
> By reading your last answer, my intuition says I'm about to face a
> delicate moment...
> Let's see if I properly understood: Key 5 is the responsible key when
> an upgrade fails to be executed. However although it's Chilly Willy
> patched, when upgrading to a CF 3.70 or higher, then it does not
> matter if key 5 was Chilly Willy patched or not because the upgrader
> needs to unpatch it anyway.
>
> So my last move should be pressing 'X' when prompted by the upgrader
> (I'm moving from 3.52 M33-4 to 4.01 M33).
> Is this more than a reasonably risky opperation? I mean, do I have a
> high percert of bricking my PSP by pressing that 'X'?

You shouldn't have a problem here. If it's just key 5, the updater
will unpatch it and continue just fine. If it's more than key 5, it'll
give you another error code and exit without doing anything. HOWEVER,
that said, always be ready with the Pandora Battery and a NAND
backup... just in case. There's always SOME chance things will screw
up and you'll need to restore the NAND. Those chance are VERY slim,
but not zero.

> I know that a bricked PSP can be turned back to life by using a
> Pandora battery and some soft in a MS, but in this case (if my PSP
> bricks) would this be usefull? I'm asking you so, bacause I understand
> that patching/unpatching keys from the IdStorage is a farther delicate
> thing than flashing a firmware.
>
> I've already dumped my current keys and backed up my NAND Dump Bin
> files.
>
> I'll wait for you final message before I push the button... ;)
>
> Once again, than you very much for your time.
> Manete

Seeing as you have the backup, I say go for it. :)

Like I said above, things will PROBABLY be fine. I have yet to
actually need to use a backup when messing with three different PSPs
of different makes over a dozen different custom firmware updates. I
just updated my brother's Phat from 3.52 M33-4 to 4.01 M33-2 and had
to face that same "Press X to fix keys" message. It went fine, and I
don't see why it shouldn't for you.

Manete

Aug 4, 2008, 5:36:40 AM8/4/08
to Chilly Willy's Ice Flow
Hi!
Well, everything went plain sailing!
I pressed the 'X' and the key was succesfully restored, then it
continued installing the new CF 4.01M33.
What can I say? THANK you so very much for your time, patience,
knowledge, help...

Greetings from Spain!
Manete

ChillyW...@gmail.com

Aug 4, 2008, 7:12:05 PM8/4/08
to Chilly Willy's Ice Flow
Good to hear. I didn't think you'd have a problem after the last
email, but it's always nice to hear that it really did work. :)