PC side app, USB midi device to control windows volume control.

XsavioR

Aug 22, 2009, 11:09:17 AM8/22/09
to Chilly Willy's Ice Flow
I am super super close to fabricating my first USB 2.0 MIDI Mixer
(numerous prototypes already exist) , If all goes well I should
receive the PCB around the middle of next month.

Though my C has gotten drastically better I am still unable to code
the little app I want to come with my Mixer.

Here is my vision:

A small gui that alows you to select a standard windows volume
control , then push a button to "learn" the MIDI code sent out the
pipe, when you move a given physical control on the mixer.

Effectively when I slide a slide pot up, My goal is to be able to make
the volume control main go up , for instance.

This requires interfacing with a standard windows driver (midi usb)
and windows for the volume which is quite simply beyond my ability.

Chilly, any chance you have some time to give me a hand? I was
thinking I could give you a mixer when I get them made.

Chilly Willy

Aug 23, 2009, 10:13:33 PM8/23/09
to Chilly Willy's Ice Flow
On Aug 22, 9:09 am, XsavioR <addi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am super super close to fabricating my first USB 2.0 MIDI Mixer
> (numerous prototypes already exist) , If all goes well I should
> receive the PCB around the middle of next month.

Sounds nifty. Could be handy for a lot of things.

> Though my C has gotten drastically better I am still unable to code
> the little app I want to come with my Mixer.
>
> Here is my vision:
>
> A small gui that alows you to select a standard windows volume
> control , then push a button to "learn"  the MIDI code sent out the
> pipe, when you move a given physical control on the mixer.
>
> Effectively when I slide a slide pot up, My goal is to be able to make
> the volume control main go up , for instance.
>
> This requires interfacing with a standard windows driver (midi usb)
> and windows for the volume which is quite simply beyond my ability.
>
> Chilly, any chance you have some time to give me a hand?  I was
> thinking I could give you a mixer when I get them made.

I'm not much for Windows programming, especial not what you want here.
All my Windows tools are REALLY out of date (like 2003 or so). I never
even bothered to look into Windows Vista or newer programming. You
might want to try someone who just put out some kind of open source
Windows project. I appreciate the offer, though - just sorry I can't
be more help on that.

XsavioR

Aug 24, 2009, 12:24:52 PM8/24/09
to Chilly Willy's Ice Flow
Its ok man, I've got a guy local who can probably write it, Just not
sure I trust him or want to be involved with that. Ill just type up a
WFH agreement and talk to him about it.

PS yeah its come along way. Ive just about finished adding hardware/
firmware support for (up to 1 TB) Micro SD on board harddrive :) Just
went threw trial by fire, regarding the unwilling use of non absolute
paths, and attempting to reinstall the usb stack for a fresh start
while working to composite the USB midi device, midi streaming
interface, and micro sd card reader into one firmware.

In the end my primary code (c) was completely lost (erased instead of
safe and sound in the firmware zip package I made before
reinstalling) I was able to rewrite it in no time even making some
improvements. :)

You have a mac? I need some beta testers for when I make the final
firmware for the pcb I know linux wont be a problem for you, if you
have a MAC too I can save some prototypes if your willing to give me a
hand.

Chilly Willy

Aug 24, 2009, 12:34:53 PM8/24/09
to Chilly Willy's Ice Flow
On Aug 24, 10:24 am, XsavioR <addi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Its ok man,  I've got a guy local who can probably write it, Just not
> sure I trust him or want to be involved with that. Ill just type up a
> WFH agreement and talk to him about it.

Yeah, maybe talk to him a bit first to sound him out, then make a
contract. Most office supply stores sell ready made contracts for all
sorts of things, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

> PS yeah its come along way. Ive just about finished adding hardware/
> firmware support for (up to 1 TB) Micro SD on board harddrive :)  Just
> went threw trial by fire, regarding the unwilling use of non absolute
> paths,  and attempting to reinstall the usb stack for a fresh start
> while working to composite the USB midi device, midi streaming
> interface, and micro sd card reader into one firmware.
>
> In the end my primary code (c) was completely lost (erased instead of
> safe and sound in the firmware zip package I made before
> reinstalling)  I was able to rewrite it in no time even making some
> improvements. :)
>
> You have a mac? I need some beta testers for when I make the final
> firmware for the pcb I know linux wont be a problem for you, if you
> have a MAC too I can save some prototypes if your willing to give me a
> hand.

I have an iMac G3 with OSX 10.3 and Xubuntu on it, and a PC setup with
OSX 10.5. I should be able to help you with it on the Mac.

Chilly Willy

Aug 24, 2009, 12:36:56 PM8/24/09
to Chilly Willy's Ice Flow
We really should quit here - this isn't something to discuss on a
google page. Email me if you wish to talk more about this. :)

XsavioR

Aug 24, 2009, 1:56:47 PM8/24/09
to Chilly Willy's Ice Flow
Sounds good. I will send you an email when I am ready for an address
to mail it to :)
Message has been deleted

XsavioR

Sep 22, 2009, 4:11:51 PM9/22/09
to Chilly Willy's Ice Flow
I have delayed ordering the pcb by 30 days to give me time and
resources to build my self an SMT reflow oven to assemble the two
microscopic parts i was forced to use. ETA for the email asking for an
address is ~ OCT 15. I didnt forget about ya, Just had to take a month
to study retail 5,000$ ovens and build my self one.

XsavioR

Oct 19, 2009, 1:10:19 PM10/19/09
to Chilly Willy's Ice Flow

Just working out a bug with the buttons. For some reason button 3 must
be pressed for button 2 to see a press. Still not convinced why.
Solder paste should be here shortly, then I need to hack this oven and
bake one for you (I hand solderd this one just to see if i could)

[IMG]http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk184/xsavior38/IMG_0048.jpg[/
IMG]

XsavioR

Oct 19, 2009, 1:18:36 PM10/19/09
to Chilly Willy's Ice Flow
Just figured it out. Rewriting code to remedy. Gonna see if i can
finish the full firmware before I mail this.