Hot Sauce in Portugal

Sandy Olson

Oct 5, 2012, 5:25:29 PM10/5/12
to ChileHeads Group
Hi All...Just returned from Portugal and Spain. While in Portugal I
asked for hot sauce at a restaurant and was given a bottle of little
piri piri "pickled" in whiskey. The waiter warned me not to use too
much as it was really hot. The whiskey really gave it a different
flavor; I used it on a seafood pasta dish. I liked it so well I
searched for some to bring home. Couldn't find the whole peppers but
got a bottle of crushed peppers in whiskey (Maria do Monte brand) that
I haven't tasted yet. I would really have liked the whole peppers as
you only pour off the whiskey so more could be added and aged to keep
using the peppers over and over until they didn't have any heat left.
Also bought a bag of dried piri piri so I'll try to make my own spiked
booze. Not a lot of hot foods that we encountered. I had a Mexican
paella in Spain that was a tad spicy, with jals and some Mexican sausage
instead of the typical seafood. Okay, I guess.

SandyO
CH #1146 of the moderate persuasion.

Dave Drum

Oct 5, 2012, 6:52:27 PM10/5/12
to Sandy Olson, ChileHeads Group
On 10/5/2012 16:25, Sandy Olson wrote:

Snip - nice report -- except

> encountered. I had a Mexican paella in Spain that was a tad spicy,
> with jals and some Mexican sausage instead of the typical seafood.
> Okay, I guess.

Paella is a SPANISH dish. It's almost a national dish - along with
tapas. And chorizo (Spanish chorizo is milder and drier than Mexican
chorizo) is not uncommon. One of the better known paellas is chicken
and chorizo.

Matter of fact, it's the only paella I have ever made. Being a single
dude it's a bit much just for me. But, to show off for a crowd ...
well, y'know?

Here is a good web site for Spanish foods - especially paella
supplies. http://www.hotpaella.com/

They also have some dyn-o-mite recipes.

This paella below is the one I made - but it is not from the
hotpaella.com website. It was some good - but, next time I make it I
think I will use Minor's chicken base and add saffron and (maybe) some
juniper berry to it rather than scratch make the stock. Other than
that ......

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Chicken-Chorizo Paella
Categories: Latino, Poultry, Pork, Vegetables, Rice
Yield: 5 servings

MMMMM--------------------------STOCK--------------------------------
1 lb Chicken wings
1 c Chopped Spanish onion
1/2 c Sliced celery
1/2 c Sliced carrot
2 Fresh bay leaves
6 Sprigs thyme
12 Black peppercorns
3 Juniper berries
1 tb Saffron threads

MMMMM-------------------------CHICKEN-------------------------------
2 Spanish onions; 1 quartered
- and 1 thin sliced
1 Fresh bay leaf
2 Ribs celery; sliced
1 1/2 lb Skin-on, boneless chicken
- thighs; fat trimmed
1/4 c Tomato paste
1/2 c Ketchup
2 tb Smoked Spanish paprika
1 tb Vegetable oil
2 lg Red bell peppers; cored,
- thin sliced
2 cl Garlic; thin sliced
Salt

MMMMM--------------------------PAELLA-------------------------------
2 tb Extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 c Spanish chorizo; thin sliced
1/4 c Diced Spanish onion
1 tb Minced garlic
1 1/4 c Calasparra rice; or other
- paella rice
1/4 c Peas; thawed if frozen
2 tb Thin sliced piquillo peppers
1/4 c Chopped, pitted kalamata or
- black olives
Salt

Make the stock: Combine the chicken wings, onion, celery,
carrot, bay leaves, thyme, peppercorns and juniper berries
in a large pot and add water to cover. Bring to a simmer
over medium low to medium heat; simmer, uncovered, 45
minutes. Add the saffron and simmer 15 more minutes.

Strain the stock: Pour the stock through a fine strainer;
discard the solids. (If not using immediately, let cool,
then cover and refrigerate up to 3 days or freeze up to 3
months.)

Poach the chicken: Bring 8 cups water, the quartered
onion, bay leaf and celery to a simmer in a large pot over
medium heat. Add the chicken thighs and gently poach until
just tender, about 12 minutes.

Shred the meat: Remove the chicken from the pot using
tongs and reserve the poaching liquid. Let the chicken
cool slightly, then discard the skin and shred the meat.

Make the sauce: the tomato paste, ketchup and paprika in a
blender. Strain 2 cups of the reserved poaching liquid;
add the liquid to the blender and puree until smooth.

Finish the chicken: Heat the vegetable oil in a large
skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced onion, bell
peppers and garlic and cook until translucent, 10 to 12
minutes. Add the pureed sauce and cook, stirring, until
the sauce thickens, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the shredded
chicken and stir to coat with the sauce. Season with salt
and keep warm.

Make the paella: Preheat the oven to 350�F/175�C. Heat the
olive oil in a paella pan or large ovenproof skillet over
medium-high heat. Add the chorizo and cook until the fat
renders, about 5 minutes. Add the onion and garlic and
cook until the onion is translucent, about 10 minutes. Add
the rice and stir to lightly coat with the oil. Stir in
the peas, piquillo peppers, olives, 2 cups chicken mixture
and 2 1/4 cups saffron chicken stock. Season with salt.

Bake and serve: Cover the paella pan or skillet tightly
with foil and bake until the liquid is completely
absorbed, 20 to 22 minutes. Remove from the oven and let
rest, covered, 5 minutes. Serve in the pan.

Recipe courtesy Jose Garces

From: http://www.amadarestaurant.com

Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen

MMMMM

--
ENJOY!!!

From Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen
Home of YAAAAHHHHOOOOAAAAHHHH Hot Sauce & Hardin Cider

... Ahhh. A man with a sharp wit. Someone ought to take it away from
him before he cuts himself. -- Peter da Silva