Tonight's Dinner:

RisaG

Jan 8, 2012, 8:29:29 PM1/8/12
to chile...@globalgarden.com, ChileHeads
I adapted this from a recipe that Rachael Ray made on her show the other day. She made it with chicken. I used pork chops. Also I changed the cheese, the seasoning, and it was really good. I will make this again. I think next time I make the sauce I will roast the poblanos first. It would add a deeper flavor profile to the dish.

We all liked this a lot.

Cheesy Pork in Poblano Pepper Sauce

3 poblano peppers, seeded, stemmed and chopped
1 cup chicken stock
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
Small handful cilantro, chopped
Salt and pepper
4 tbsp unsalted butter, divided
2 tbsp flour
1/2 cup sour cream (original called for heavy cream OR Mexican Crema)
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 boneless pork chops
1 tbsp Penzey’s Arizona seasoning
1.5 cups Monterey jack cheese (original called for Manchego)
1 tbsp vegetable oil
Cilantro, for garnish

In a blender, combine peppers with stock, onions, garlic, cilantro, salt and pepper. In a saucepan, over MED heat, melt 3 tbsp butter. Whisk in flour, add milk and cream, and raise heat. Add poblano puree and simmer to thicken and cook sauce, 20-25 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Heat 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet over MED-HIGH heat. Add the remaining butter and melt it. Season the pork with Penzey’s Arizona Seasoning. Brown 3-4 minutes on each side. Transfer to a casserole dish, spread sauce over the top and then cover with cheese. Bake 15-20 minutes until fully cooked, just a touch of pink. It should be browned and bubbly.

Serve garnished with cilantro, and if desired, a touch more sour cream (or Mexican crema).

Yield: 4 servings
Source: The Rachael Ray Show, 1/2/12
Posted by RisaG 1/8/12