Tonight's Dinner: Mama's Fried Chicken (adapted)

1 view

RisaG

Dec 30, 2011, 10:22:06 PM12/30/11
to chile...@globalgarden.com, ChileHeads
This was tonight's dinner and it was so good. There was a note on the recipe that Paula Deen usually soaks the chicken in hot sauce before breading it. If I had been making this for just Steve and myself I would've done that but I was also making it for Trevor and he is not a chile-head by any means so I used 1 tsp of aji amarillo powder in the breading and that was it. Gave it just a bit of a kick, nothing strong or over-powering. This was excellent.

Served it with hoe cakes like Paula Deen would've at The Lady & Sons Restaurant.

Mama’s Fried Chicken

1-4 lb chicken, cut into 8 pieces*
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper** I used 1 tsp
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
Vegetable oil, for frying
2 large eggs
1/4 cup water
1.5 cups self-rising flour

Rinse chicken and pat dry with paper towels. In a small bowl, combine salt, garlic powder, cayenne, and black pepper. Using fingers, rub the spice mixture all over the chicken to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate from 20 minutes to 24 hours (the longer the better).

In a large dutch oven, heat 3 inches of oil to 350 degrees F (I used a candy thermometer for this). In a shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs and water. Place flour in a shallow dish.

Dip chicken pieces first into the egg mixture and then into the flour, shaking off any excess (I double dipped – into the flour, then the egg and back into the flour). Fry the chicken, in batches if necessary, until golden brown and crisp on the outside and just cooked through (13 minutes for dark meat and about 10 for white meat).*** Transfer chicken to a paper towel lined plate to drain. Serve hot.

Risa’s notes:
*original recipe calls for a 4 lb chicken. I used 10 pc of skinless boneless chicken thighs cut in half to make 20 pieces of chicken.
** original calls for cayenne. I used 1 tsp Aji Amarillo chile powder.
I also used more garlic than the recipe called for as I didn’t think this little amount of seasoning was enough to cover all the chicken. I also sprinkled some more garlic powder on the chicken itself before adding the seasoning mixture.
***Since I was using boneless skinless chicken, I fried it for 10 minutes the most and it was juicy. I put it on a wire rack on top of a big cookie sheet and put it in a 300 degree oven for 10 minutes after frying.

Yield: 4-6 servings
Source: Y’all Come Eat by Jamie & Bobby Deen
Posted by RisaG 12/30/11

=Mark

Jan 3, 2012, 11:32:07 AM1/3/12
to chile...@globalgarden.com, ChileHeads, RisaG
As originally published on Tuesday, January 03 2012

Andrew "Andy" W. Barnhart, 71, of Gaithersburg (Damascus) MD died Friday,
December 30, 2011 at Montgomery General Hospital, Olney, MD.

Born May 30, 1940 in New Jersey, he was the son of the late Evelyn Toupee and
Frederick C. Barnhart. He is survived by his wife of 36 years, Joanne M. Smith
Barnhart.

In addition to his wife, he is survived by his children, Gregory, Douglas and
wife Sandra, and Cynthia Gallaher and husband Rodney; five grandchildren,
Danielle, Michelle, Christopher, Douglas, and Matthew.

He graduated from Bellville High School in New Jersey and later graduated
from Lehigh University in Bethlehem, PA with a Bachelor's Degree in Physics
and Electrical Engineering. He then later graduated from the University of
Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, PA with a Master's of Science.

Andy started working at Jerrold Electronics and later worked at Hughes
Network Systems. He retired after 25 years of service, and he started his own
business, AWB Consulting, LLC. Andy was an avid Scuba Diver, Sailor, Traveler,
and enjoyed Opera.

Andy was loved by his wife and family and will be greatly missed by anyone
who had the pleasure of knowing him. Family will receive friends on Thursday,
January 5, 2012 from 7-9 pm at Molesworth-Williams, P.A., Funeral Home, 26401
Ridge Road, Damascus, MD 20872. A Mass of Christian Burial will be held on
Friday, January 6, 2012 at 10:30 am at St. Paul's Catholic Church, Damascus
Road, Damascus, MD 20872. Rev. Mel Ayala will officiate. Burial will follow in
All Souls Cemetery, Germantown, MD.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the American Heart
Association (donate.americanheart.org). Online condolences may be expressed to
the family at www.molesworthwilliams.com .

Sue Bonar

Jan 3, 2012, 1:16:05 PM1/3/12
to chile...@googlegroups.com
Mark,

Thank you for sharing this. Andy was a fun guy on the list and will be
missed.

Sue

=Mark

Jan 3, 2012, 1:24:30 PM1/3/12