15th Genocide comemoration

Sam Kyagambiddwa (Mashirika)

Mar 29, 2009, 1:26:12 PM3/29/09
to Children of Conflict 08-09
Dear colleagues, begining 7th April will be the 15th year of
comemoration of Rwandese genocide where up to one million people were
killed. This period of time is a very hard time in Rwanda. the 1994
genocide was carried out in a hundred days and the mourning goes on
for up to 100 days. during such a time as people remember the dead,
there are lots of activities that go on like survivors testimonies,
songs, papetrators too come up to give testimonies, burial of remains
in mass graves, clearing and cleaning goniced sites, helping
survivors. All these do not go without provoking trauma. This year's
main message is remembering the dead, supporting the survivors and
fight any ideology that tries to denie that there was genocide in
Rwanda (1994) as we build hope for the future.
During this week, Mashirika will be performing its play "Africa's
hope" and will also work with a group of young children 10 - 13 years
on a production (Our tomorrow) which will be performed on the 7th.
A national commision to fight against genocide was formed and if you
may want to know details about it check www.cnlg.gov.rw