Any Chicago companies using Go?

Brian Kung

Nov 19, 2013, 11:43:54 PM11/19/13
to chica...@googlegroups.com
I'm curious what the ecosystem is around here. I'm also looking to pair program, if anyone is available to help teach me. I'm a Rails dev eager to learn Go.

Best,
Brian

Chris Agocs

Nov 19, 2013, 11:59:34 PM11/19/13
to chica...@googlegroups.com

Hi Brian,
I don't exactly have my finger on the pulse of the tech community,  I know for a fact that Braintree has one project in Go. I'm eager to drive adoption at my workplace as well.

If you want to pair on a toy project, I'd be down. Let me know.

Ben Mills

Nov 20, 2013, 12:00:46 AM11/20/13
to chica...@googlegroups.com
I'm a dev at Braintree. We actually moved away from Go because we really were not using it got a good reason. We have a number of devs who are still very interested in it however.

Chris Agocs

Nov 20, 2013, 12:04:37 AM11/20/13
to chica...@googlegroups.com

Again, finger not on pulse. That's good info though. Thanks!

Yarko Tymciurak

Nov 20, 2013, 2:01:23 AM11/20/13
to chica...@googlegroups.com
I have a project in mind (really - this is a bit tongue-in-cheek in the short term, not so much in the long term):

I'd like to rewrite the edX ecosystem in golang.

The edX  "SaaS"  class graduates do remote pair programming, so we could definitely include people in the chicago area w/o continually traveling.
The other option is to do something like the SaaS class (which is Ruby centric), and simply translate it into golang.   Or to find simple community projects which you might be comfortable knowing how to do in your language of choice (Ruby, Python, C, etc.)  and do a golang version.

some remote pair tools listed at

(I've briefly tried madeye and floobits)

Brian Kung

Nov 20, 2013, 8:25:35 AM11/20/13
to chica...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the responses! I was afraid that the Chicago golang group was dead.

Chris, I appreciate your offer to pair program. I'll shoot you a separate email.

Yarko, are you talking about rewriting the edX platform itself in Go, following the courses but implementing in Go, or something else? Either way, I am a fan of Screenhero for remote pair programming.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "chicagolang" group.

Brian Kung

BE A UNICORN!

Yarko Tymciurak

Nov 20, 2013, 8:49:08 AM11/20/13
to chica...@googlegroups.com

On Nov 20, 2013 7:25 AM, "Brian Kung" <brianhin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the responses! I was afraid that the Chicago golang group was dead.
>
> Chris, I appreciate your offer to pair program. I'll shoot you a separate email.
>
> Yarko, are you talking about rewriting the edX platform itself in Go,

Potentially, yes - but as someone who follows the codebase, and mass of activity on it, that is crazy...
Still... Would be an interesting design study...

> following the courses but implementing in Go,

In the case of the SaaS course, yes - since a book is in develoment, published around that, it gives something concrete to work from.  Potentially, one would be learning two languages (that particular course uses Ruby), so that could be much...

> or something else? Either way, I am a fan of Screenhero for remote pair programming.

A third possibility would to contribute to the community in general, by taking on a project which could help someone, and delivering it.  Better to get some go expertise first, but an eventual direction.

With remote pair, an actual project it should be easier to get participation, and give a reason (topics) for a calling a meeting now and then.

- Yarko

> BE A UNICORN!

Prof Braino

Nov 20, 2013, 11:00:28 AM11/20/13
to chica...@googlegroups.com
Our is not a commerical project, but uses Go.

Our project uses a Go application to  provide communications between the workstation and a microcontroller.  The communication performs the build and automated testing on the microcontroler envirionment and applications.
I am not the dev, just a user.  But the dev might be interested in pair programming on similar applications, or provide peer review, etc.   The dev is not in Chicago, but we have been working just fine via teleconference.
Sincerely,

Prof.Braino

Patrick Crosby

Nov 20, 2013, 11:23:40 AM11/20/13
to chica...@googlegroups.com
99.9% of stathat.com is written in go, and we are 100% in Chicago.
http://www.stathat.com
Invent stats on the fly. Track data instantly, up to the minute, accurately.

Dave Astels

Nov 20, 2013, 11:37:55 AM11/20/13
to chica...@googlegroups.com
The core of our "app" is written in Go. I'll be talking about why we chose Go and what we're doing with it at the December meeting of http://www.meetup.com/ChicaGoLang/

Dave Astels | Lead Software Engineer | SteelSeries
656 W. Randolph Street I Suite 2E I Chicago, IL 60661
das...@steelseries.com
www.steelseries.com

Matt Dennewitz

Nov 20, 2013, 9:45:12 PM11/20/13
to chica...@googlegroups.com
we're starting to move a few backend projects to go at pitchfork. love it.

Brian Kung

Nov 20, 2013, 10:28:18 PM11/20/13
to chica...@googlegroups.com
Matt, will you also be at the December meetup? I'd love to hear all of your opinions on why you use Go, or, in Ben's case, why you don't.

Just joined the meetup group. I'm excited for it!

Best,
Brian

Brian Kung