9/23 and 9/24: Two Events to Mark the Anniversary of the FBI Raids on Justice Activists

Chicago IJAN

Sep 19, 2011, 6:21:08 PM9/19/11
to chicagoij...@googlegroups.com
PLEASE SHARE WIDELY:

Sept 23: Mark the anniversary of the FBI raids on justice activists!

Tell US Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald:

STOP THE FISHING EXPEDITION!

HANDS OFF OUR ACTIVISTS!

Friday, Sept. 23 at noon
Dirksen Federal Building, 219 S. Dearborn (at Jackson and Dearborn)

On September 23 we will mark one year of solidarity and resistance to government repression with a creative street theater protest to let US Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald know that we will not be silent. (Interested in performing in the action? Email maureenclare at gmail dot com for details.)

Background:

On the dawn of September 24, 2010, the FBI simultaneously raided seven homes of peace activists in Minneapolis and Chicago and the Minnesota Anti-War Committee's office. They mobilized more than 70 agents and seized thousands of pages of documents, cell phones, computers and personal objects. Most of the activists' property is still held by the government a year later. So far, 23 Midwest anti-war and international solidarity activists have been subpoenaed to testify at a secret grand jury investigation of the peace movement.

Many of the targeted activists in Chicago are Palestinian or have been active in the Palestine solidarity movement.

Prosecutors have told our attorneys they are working to bring multiple indictments against these anti-war activists at any time. In May, the FBI initiated the raid on Carlos Montes, who worked with many of the subpoenaed activists on the 2008 March on the Republican National Convention in St. Paul, and in late September he will appear in court on charges stemming from that raid.

Since the day of the raids, support for the raided and subpoenaed activists has been outstanding! More than 12,000 individuals have signed up in support. Hundreds of organizations -- including solidarity groups, faith-based organizations and unions representing tens of thousands of workers -- published solidarity statements. People protested on multiple occasions in dozens of cities across the U.S. and even abroad, as far away as Ukraine and Australia. Hundreds of articles have been published, including the front page of the Washington Post on June 14 and a New York Times editorial on June 18. Join this growing movement against political repression!

For more information about the case, visit http://www.stopfbi.net/

This action is organized by the Palestine Solidarity Group-Chicago and the Chicago Committee Against Political Repression

For more information, email maureenclare at gmail dot com

Mark the One Year Anniversary of FBI Raids on local Peace and International
Solidarity Activists!

Saturday, September 24th, 2011

11:30am - 2:00 pm

Grace United Methodist Church of Logan Square

3325 W. Wrightwood Avenue

At 7:00 am on September 24, 2010, the FBI simultaneously raided homes of
anti-war activists in Minneapolis and Chicago and the Minnesota Anti-War
Committee's office. They mobilized over 70 agents and seized thousands of
pages of documents, cell phones, computers and personal objects. Most of the
activists' property is still held by the government a year later. So far, 23
Midwest anti-war and international solidarity activists have been subpoenaed
to testify at a secret grand jury investigation of the peace movement.

Prosecutors have told our attorneys they are working to bring multiple
indictments against these anti-war

In May, the FBI initiated the raid on Carlos

who worked with many of the subpoenaed activists on the 2008 March on the
RNC in St. Paul, and in late September he will appear in court on charges
stemming from that raid.
On September 24th we will mark one year of solidarity and
resistance<http://www.stopfbi.net/archive>with a program. One year

later no one has testified and no one is in jail,
and the struggle against war and political repression continues. We will be
raising money, so please plan to contribute, but even if you're unemployed
and can't make a donation, come and be with us for this important day.

-- End the Grand Jury!
-- End the Repression of Anti-War Activists!
-- Return their Property Now!
Invited Guest Speakers:

Jackson Potter, activist with the Caucus of Rank & File Educators

Bernardine Dohrn, grand jury resister

--
Become a fan on facebook - http://tinyurl.com/chicagoijan.

Learn more about the International Jewish Anti-Zionist Network and the work happening in Chicago - http://www.ijsn.net/C93/