Occupy Anti-Semitism

1 view

Chicago IJAN

Mar 16, 2012, 11:10:50 AM3/16/12
to chicagoij...@googlegroups.com
Please join us for
Occupy Anti-Semitism

Distinguishing Anti-Semitism from Opposition to Zionism

What is Anti-Semitism? What is Zionism? How have Zionist institutions
used the pretense of fighting Anti-Semitism to undermine struggles for liberation?

A workshop at Occupy Chicago facilitated by members of the Chicago chapter of the International Jewish Anti-Zionist Network
Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 5:00pm until 7:00pm
Room 700 @ 500 W. Cermak

Workshop Description:
In October, ABC7 featured a news report "focused on a major Jewish organization expressing concerns about the presence of anti-Semitic signs and some disturbing statements made at Occupy protest events in Chicago and elsewhere." We argue that this was, in fact, a disingenuous claim aimed at discrediting the Occupy/Decolonize movement and marginalizing the struggle for Palestinian self determination, as well distracting attention from the core demands for economic justice. Wielding charges of anti-Semitism has been a particularly common tactic used against leftist movements, particularly the Palestine Solidarity Movement--with the intention of silencing activists and isolating that liberation struggle from other struggles for liberation.

At this workshop, we will spend a little bit of time explaining how anti-Semitism has functioned historically and its relationship to Zionism, racism and white supremacy. We will define anti-Jewish oppression/anti-Semitism and discuss how to differentiate between real anti-Jewish sentiment, and just criticism of the state of Israel or the ideology of Zionism. Within this conversation we will examine some instances when anti-Jewish sentiment/anti-Semitism has been privileged over all other forms of oppression/racism for political ends, as well as engage with the specific material consequences of different forms of oppression/racism including anti-Semitism and anti-Arab/anti-Muslim racism.

Finally, we will explore ways in which to recognize and confront the misuse of allegations of anti-semitism, as well as how to confront real anti-Jewish sentiment when it occurs.

--
Become a fan on facebook - http://tinyurl.com/chicagoijan.

Learn more about the International Jewish Anti-Zionist Network and the work happening in Chicago - http://www.ijsn.net/C93/