Recompile in Development

Graeme Defty

Sep 19, 2017, 2:02:05 AM9/19/17
to chica...@googlegroups.com
I seem to recall we have had conversations around this topic on occasions past but ...
... my application has taken to recompiling itself - a several seconds delay -  every time I hit the button.

My understanding is that only changed modules should be re-compiled (courtesy of some timestamp checking somewhere) though I may be wrong.

Can someone:

1) confirm my understanding of expected behaviour is correct (i.e. timestamp-based recompilation

and

2) point me in the right direction to investigate my problems (I know, I could trackit down myself, but the code around compilation is fairly dense ;-) )

Thanks,

graeme

Graeme Defty

Sep 19, 2017, 2:28:25 AM9/19/17
to chica...@googlegroups.com
OK - a quick follow-up ...

I have found the place in boss_load.erl where all this seems to go on, and a judicious addition of some 'io:format's shows that the compile dates on my modules are all 0.

Sure enough, when I go to the console and run module_info on my modules there is no mention of a compile date.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Graeme Defty

Sep 26, 2017, 5:54:46 AM9/26/17
to chica...@googlegroups.com

Anyone?

Dmitry Polyanovsky

Sep 26, 2017, 2:20:25 PM9/26/17
to ChicagoBoss
Hi,

we have a year old bug for that problem https://github.com/ChicagoBoss/ChicagoBoss/issues/650
It's still not solved. Yo can reference to links inside that issue to get more info and ways to solve it.

additional options include rebar3-auto plugin, but moving to rebar3 is huge change and it's stuck right now

Graeme Defty

Sep 26, 2017, 7:31:55 PM9/26/17
to chica...@googlegroups.com
OK, Thanks.

I will take a look.  ;-)

Graeme Defty

Sep 26, 2017, 11:39:26 PM9/26/17
to chica...@googlegroups.com
All, my apologies for not finding this bug myself - mea culpa  :-(

However, I work on my application daily, and though I upgraded to 19.0 only recently, this issue is driving me crazy.

I have added a suggestion to the bug report mentioned above. I do not think it is a huge amount of owrk.

Can we try to make a decisions on this and move on?

Thanks,

Dmitry Polyanovsky

Oct 11, 2017, 4:27:57 AM10/11/17
to ChicagoBoss
Hi,
just merged your PR to master. thanks

Graeme Defty

Oct 12, 2017, 6:01:41 AM10/12/17
to chica...@googlegroups.com
Glad to help (and certainly glad to have speedy responses when testing !  :-)