Building wx-Widgets (64-bit) on Yosemite against Erlang/OTP 17 [erts-6.3]... recipe for success!

Emacs the Viking

Jan 7, 2015, 5:19:17 PM1/7/15
to chica...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I wanted to use the debugger again and it just wouldn't work at all from CB console:

{error,{undef,[{wx,new,[],[]},
               {dbg_wx_mon,init,3,[{file,"dbg_wx_mon.erl"},{line,113}]}]}}

So, after some fiddling about and what not I have now managed to build it and it works great, looks nice in 3.0. Kudos to this page:

   http://smyck.net/2014/02/28/erlang-r16-64bit-on-os-x-10-9-with-wxwidgets/

...for the command line which I then added the --prefix option to blast over the existing Mac Ports installation of Erlang I already had.

Step One: wxWidgets installation

$ sudo port install wxWidgets-3.0
$ sudo ln -s /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/wxWidgets.framework/Versions/wxWidgets/3.0/bin/wx-config /usr/local/bin/wx-config

The soft link makes sure the ./configure script finds the wxWidgets headers and libraries OK, on my iMac and yours it should be here:

/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/wxWidgets.framework

Step Two: Building Erlang with wxWidgets support

but only if you used mac Ports to install it I guess! Anyway, I digress... once that is done, just download and unpack OTP-17 source from the Erlang site then do this:

$ ./configure --disable-debug --without-javac --enable-shared-zlib \
             --enable-dynamic-ssl-lib --enable-hipe --enable-smp-support \
             --enable-threads --enable-kernel-poll --with-wx \
             --enable-darwin-64bit --prefix=/opt/local

Wait for a while as it does its thing then:

$ make
$ sudo make install

That's it. From there you can start the console and use debugger:start()

(smsengine@iMac)1> debugger:start().
{ok,<0.278.0>}
(smsengine@iMac)2>

Hope that helps somebody else... might stick it on my inconsequential blog site...

Ironically of course there are no beam files because I am guessing they are dynamically compiled by the script and when I run it not in dev mode the routing breaks so as nobody answered my previous post about that I guess I have another obstacle to batter my way past... God how I love computers....

chan sisowath

Jan 7, 2015, 9:10:24 PM1/7/15
to chica...@googlegroups.com
hi Emacs the Viking,

i made a pull request last year, to extend the dev concept to all cbapp and deps, (auto recompile all cbapp and deps, it always emit a beam file in your case it could be useful)

if you feel in mood to give a try, here the pull:

https://github.com/ChicagoBoss/ChicagoBoss/pull/533

any comment, bug are welcome
chan