Version 0.8.12 Tagged

Jesse Gumm

Apr 30, 2014, 6:17:14 PM4/30/14
to chica...@googlegroups.com, Dmitry Polyanovsky, Evan Miller
Hey folks,

Sorry this took so long, but Version 0.8.12 has been tagged on Github.
As I told Dmitry, I was hesitant about tagging a new release with
known crashes. But now that I've managed to solve all the crashes and
weird errors I've encountered, as well as those from Issues and those
posted to IRC, feel comfortable releasing this.

This is *mostly* an update for stability. A number of compile
crashes, silent errors, cryptic error messages, broken tests,
incompatibilities (between dependencies and the new OTP 17) have all
been fixed, along with fixed translations in views, redirecting epgsql
to David Welton's new unified epgsql project.

Also, because relying on Github's release text thing is a little weird
to me, I've added a CHANGELOG.md, which will update along with updates
as they come in.
https://github.com/ChicagoBoss/ChicagoBoss/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md

Now that the stability issues are out of the way here, I'm feeling the
itch for more tests, improving documentation.

Among one of the more interesting fixes here is the ability to use
rebar's update-deps command to update your app to a recent version.
Keep in mind that the erlando dependency now relies on a ChicagoBoss
fork (for the purposes of dependency conflict resolution), and as such
'update-deps' won't work immediately from that. The easy solution is
to delete the deps/erlando directory before running `./rebar
update-deps`, but that *should* work.

Unfortunately, due to so many Erlang projects not having actual tags,
a *lot* of the CB dependencies have been tied to specific tags (this
is partially to help with git bisect, which is nearly impossible going
far enough back to do so many dependencies pointing to {branch,
master} or "HEAD" on semi-active projects).

The *other* thing to be aware of is recent changes to ErlyDTL require
a new version of rebar to compile. So make sure you copy the rebar
executable from the ChicagoBoss repository into your app's root.
Otherwise, you're going to get view compilation errors.

Anyway, if you notice any new issues, go ahead and file new issues.

Going forward, I'm going to push for a more rapid release cycle, and
my main effort, as said when I joined the project, is stability and
documentation - making CB more accessible to new users.

Thanks for all your contributions, issues, IRC questions, and overall
participation in the ChicagoBoss community. Let's continue the push
to 1.0 :)

Thanks,

--
Jesse Gumm
Owner, Sigma Star Systems

Andreas Stenius

May 1, 2014, 1:28:40 AM5/1/14
to chica...@googlegroups.com, Jesse Gumm, Dmitry Polyanovsky, Evan Miller
Congrats to the release Jesse!

I find it always feels good to get new footing for future development :)

And I think you're doing the right thing with the changelog. I did the same,
but called it news, in erlydtl.

Looking forward to get to know CB a little better, as I've only been very
briefly introduced so far.

Cheers,
Andreas
signature.asc

Jesse Gumm

May 1, 2014, 6:51:00 AM5/1/14
to chica...@googlegroups.com, Dmitry Polyanovsky, Evan Miller

Thanks Andreas,

And thanks for all the help with the ErlyDTL.

-Jesse

--
Jesse Gumm
Owner, Sigma Star Systems
414.940.4866 || sigma-star.com || @jessegumm

rambocoder

May 20, 2014, 4:15:42 PM5/20/14
to chica...@googlegroups.com, Dmitry Polyanovsky, Evan Miller
Jesse,

Do you know if there is way to specify minimum "rebar" version in rebar.config?

-rambocoder

Jesse Gumm

May 20, 2014, 8:33:18 PM5/20/14
to chica...@googlegroups.com, Dmitry Polyanovsky, Evan Miller
There is not currently, as far as I can tell (and as far as a few
folks in IRC say).

Tristan Sloughter recommended using the rebar.config.script option to
generate a rebar.config file and that it could probably be done there.

I'm considering making a PR for rebar, unless you feel so inclined :)

-Jesse

rambocoder

Jun 6, 2014, 12:13:52 PM6/6/14
to chica...@googlegroups.com, dmitry.po...@gmail.com, emmi...@gmail.com
Hmm, rebar.config.script is interesting. https://github.com/basho/rebar/wiki/Dynamic-configuration

I wonder if it is possible to throw an exception from within the script saying that your rebar version is old.

I guess it can even be a prehook in rebar.config, to fire off check_rebar.sh but then what about windows...

What do you think?

-rambocoder

Jesse Gumm

Jun 6, 2014, 12:29:55 PM6/6/14
to chica...@googlegroups.com, Dmitry Polyanovsky, Evan Miller
I think the rebar.config.script might be better, if only for
cross-platform compatibility - then we don't have to screw around with
multiple scripts for windows and *nix platforms.

Though I do feel some kind of check for rebar minimum version would be
useful to rebar itself.

-Jesse