Makerbot / 3D printing enthusiast club? Antioch area

Jon

Jan 30, 2014, 8:05:40 PM1/30/14
to chicago...@googlegroups.com
Hello folks. I'm just putting a blast out there to see if there's interest in starting a northern suburbs Makerbot / 3D printing club. I have three 3D printers to use and always willing to answer questions! I have access to a computer lab to use rent free also. Antioch area. If interested, reply here or send me an email. Let's get something going! Thanks!

peter....@terabyts.com

Jan 30, 2014, 10:49:04 PM1/30/14
to chicago...@googlegroups.com
I'm interested.  I have a shop in the Northwest burbs designing, machining, building and selling 3d printers and CNC machines, also willing to help out/answer questions. Where would be a good place to set up a regular meeting place/workshop?

Piotr Pierga
Tera Byts

Jonathan Blackburn

Jan 31, 2014, 4:10:47 PM1/31/14
to chicago...@googlegroups.com
I'd also be interested. My son and I are planning to build our first 3D printer this school year.  Antioch is hardly a "northern suburb", though, unless you mean "suburb of Waukegan" ... :)

My participation is directly proportional to the number of miles south of, say, Mudelein, that such a group would meet. If you want to host it in your shop (completely understandable) I'll have to bow out.

Best,
Jon

Douglas Cogan

Jan 31, 2014, 6:52:00 PM1/31/14
to chicago...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I was pretty shocked as well when I saw Antioch. I used to live in Kenosha – lovely area but a bit far for me.

I am in Brookfield now. The Brookfield library has a Makerbot Replicator. I have a Makerbot Thingomatic. I’d love to connect with 3D printer enthusiasts in the area. In fact the library is talking about forming a 3D printing club.

I made my ThingoMatic from a kit after seeing the huge amounts of time people spent trying to get their repraps working. I think that’s why this thread is kind of low – I started being interested in RepRap but the time commitment for the build was too high so I got the kit. It was still slow going with the kit and support – I can’t imagine doing it just from a parts list. I feel I got the best of both worlds – I had a hand in building my unit but didn’t have to do it from scratch. I don’t know of anyone who makes kits anymore however. The Makerbot units are all pre-built.

Anyone up for meeting in the near west suburbs?

-Doug

Have Blue

Feb 1, 2014, 2:30:36 PM2/1/14
to chicago...@googlegroups.com
It may be a little bit of a drive for those in the Chicago area, but everyone is welcome to come to our monthly 3D printing meetup in Milwaukee:  http://www.meetup.com/3dpmke/

- Michael

Jon

Feb 1, 2014, 3:52:40 PM2/1/14
to chicago...@googlegroups.com, m...@jonathanblackburn.net
Hi all-

I agree my location in Antioch is way too far north!  I'd be willing to meet in the Mundelein area. Any ideas of where we could meet??