upgradechicago.org domain name is up

Stelios Valavanis

Nov 22, 2013, 4:35:42 AM11/22/13
to chicago-new-media
The upgradechicago.org domain name is up for renewal in Feb 2014. I just
got the notice for it. For those that might be newer, The Upgrade is an
international new media coalition so we affiliated ourselves with them
this way. There was also open-node as a name and while I don't think
anyone cared about a conflict, the 3 names (including the name of this
email list) all stuck. Others know more about this than I do and have
connections to the outside orgs that these names come from but since the
domain name is up, we might as well decide what to do. I got the
upgradechicago site up a few years ago and Paul Hertz did the site work.
I do have admin access and see Jon Cates (long time, buddy) being the
most active poster. Still the site does not seem to be used and it's way
behind on WP versions (not good). For all I know we're hosting malware
command and control. I am happy to cover the $13/yr fee to keep the
domain name if anyone sees the value, wants to keep up the site, or
simply wants to keep the name and connection to the international org.
so it's Y'Alls Calls. good night (in a little bit - I still have a few
more things I should do).
--
Stelios Valavanis
Founder and President

Jim Plaxco - Artsnova

Nov 22, 2013, 4:08:02 PM11/22/13
to chicago-...@googlegroups.com, Stelios Valavanis
Hmmm. When I visit the site, it appears that there are only 5 blog posts all from 2012 - the most recent being:

     http://upgradechicago.org/2012/05/machinima-uofc-film-studies-center/

I'm getting the date from the URL as clicking on any of the links results in a "Not Found" message box.

It looks for all the world like there is no content present.

Do someone have the url for the  international group? A search turns up nothing. However I did find the following:  http://upgrade.idiarts.org/

I also found the following note at http://chicagoartmagazine.com/2011/09/upgrade-chicago-attracts-new-media-artists/

Upgrade! Chicago meets @ The Nightingale 1084 N. Milwaukee, Chicago, IL 60642
The Nightingale is a rough and ready microcinema dedicated to screening emerging work across film, video, and new media genres and aims to support Chicago’s vibrant cinema community.

I assume these are the meeting held in the past, yes?

--
With Best Regards, Jim Plaxco
*/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/*
| A R T S N O V A
| Gallery--> http://www.artsnova.com/
| Blog-----> http://artsnova.com/blog/
| FanPage--> http://www.facebook.com/Artsnova.Art.of.Jim.Plaxco
| LinkedIn-> http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimplaxco
| Facebook-> http://www.facebook.com/jim.plaxco
| Twitter--> http://twitter.com/digitalart
*/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/*

Paul Hertz

Nov 22, 2013, 6:21:58 PM11/22/13
to chicago new media, Stelios Valavanis
The international group: http://www.theupgrade.net/ appears to be quiet right now, and for some time.

Upgrade! Chicago has not met for some time, as is apparent. For some five or six years in the early 2000s it was active. Early on it was open-node; the name stuck around.

Lincoln Schatz and Tiffany Holmes started Upgrade! in Chicago. Rob Ray and I set up meetings for two years when they moved on. Jon Cates and Sara Schnadt took over about four years ago, and Jon managed meetings for a few months after Sara left for LA. Nick Briz was going to continue after Jon, but I suspect that the GLI.TC/H festivals and other events took up all his time.

It would be fine to get things moving again. I sent a message to Nick a few days ago, but I know he has been busy with a performance.

A meeting in January or February might be the best way to move things along. Stelios has been part of Upgrade! Chicago for as long as I can remember—within this "network that is not an organization" he might be a good person to get things started up again. Rob and I and Lincoln and Tiffany before us thought that having two people organize the non-organization worked pretty well.

cheers,

-- Paul

-----   |(*,+,#,=)(#,=,*,+)(=,#,+,*)(+,*,=,#)|   ---
http://paulhertz.net/

Jim Plaxco - Artsnova

Nov 23, 2013, 1:31:46 PM11/23/13
to chicago-...@googlegroups.com, Paul Hertz, Stelios Valavanis
Hi Paul,

On 11/22/2013 5:21 PM, Paul Hertz wrote:
The international group:�http://www.theupgrade.net/ appears to be quiet right now, and for some time.

Ouch - their home page is� promoting a 2010 meeting.

Upgrade! Chicago has not met for some time, as is apparent. For some five or six years in the early 2000s it was active. Early on it was open-node; the name stuck around.

Lincoln Schatz and Tiffany Holmes started Upgrade! in Chicago. Rob Ray and I set up meetings for two years when they moved on. Jon Cates and Sara Schnadt took over about four years ago, and Jon managed meetings for a few months after Sara left for LA. Nick Briz was going to continue after Jon, but I suspect that the GLI.TC/H festivals and other events took up all his time.

I came very close to attending last year's GLITC/H. Checking the site it appears that there won't be one this year.

It would be fine to get things moving again. I sent a message to Nick a few days ago, but I know he has been busy with a performance.

A meeting in January or February might be the best way to move things along. Stelios has been part of Upgrade! Chicago for as long as I can remember�within this "network that is not an organization" he might be a good person to get things started up again. Rob and I and Lincoln and Tiffany before us thought that having two people organize the non-organization worked pretty well.

Right. Having backup is crucial. I'm aware of a number of small groups that went under because the one person who did all the work moved on.

Assuming there is a meeting I will be happy to assist with promoting it online.

A 2014 meeting will also give Stelios time to update the Wordpress install and find out why the blog post links are dead.

Stelios - I am familiar with Wordpress� if you'd like some help.

Thanks Paul for the info.

Also, any idea who is the admin for the google group?

cheers,�

-- Paul
�

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 3:08 PM, Jim Plaxco - Artsnova <artpu...@artsnova.com> wrote:
On 11/22/2013 3:35 AM, Stelios Valavanis wrote:
The upgradechicago.org domain name is up for renewal in Feb 2014. I just
got the notice for it. For those that might be newer, The Upgrade is an
international new media coalition so we affiliated ourselves with them
this way. There was also open-node as a name and while I don't think
anyone cared about a conflict, the 3 names (including the name of this
email list) all stuck. Others know more about this than I do and have
connections to the outside orgs that these names come from but since the
domain name is up, we might as well decide what to do. I got the
upgradechicago site up a few years ago and Paul Hertz did the site work.
I do have admin access and see Jon Cates (long time, buddy) being the
most active poster. Still the site does not seem to be used and it's way
behind on WP versions (not good). For all I know we're hosting malware
command and control. I am happy to cover the $13/yr fee to keep the
domain name if anyone sees the value, wants to keep up the site, or
simply wants to keep the name and connection to the international org.
so it's Y'Alls Calls. good night (in a little bit - I still have a few
more things I should do).

Hmmm. When I visit the site, it appears that there are only 5 blog posts all from 2012 - the most recent being:

I'm getting the date from the URL as clicking on any of the links results in a "Not Found" message box.

It looks for all the world like there is no content present.�

Do someone have the url for the� international group? A search turns up nothing. However I did find the following:� http://upgrade.idiarts.org/
Upgrade! Chicago meets @ The Nightingale 1084 N. Milwaukee, Chicago, IL 60642
The Nightingale is a rough and ready microcinema dedicated to screening emerging work across film, video, and new media genres and aims to support Chicago�s vibrant cinema community.

I assume these are the meeting held in the past, yes?

--
With Best Regards, Jim Plaxco
*/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/*
| A R T S N O V A
| Gallery--> http://www.artsnova.com/
| Blog-----> http://artsnova.com/blog/
| FanPage--> http://www.facebook.com/Artsnova.Art.of.Jim.Plaxco
| LinkedIn-> http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimplaxco
| Facebook-> http://www.facebook.com/jim.plaxco
| Twitter--> http://twitter.com/digitalart
*/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/*

-----�� |(*,+,#,=)(#,=,*,+)(=,#,+,*)(+,*,=,#)|�� ---
http://paulhertz.net/

Stelios Valavanis

Nov 23, 2013, 9:50:31 PM11/23/13
to j...@artsnova.com, chicago-...@googlegroups.com, Paul Hertz
I have no idea who admins the googlegroup. I really cannot take on the
site so I'm happy to make an admin account for anybody that wants to. I
definitely will come to a meeting.

So shall I renew the domain upgradechicago.org?

On Sat, 2013-11-23 at 12:31 -0600, Jim Plaxco - Artsnova wrote:
> [...]
> > For more options, visit
> > https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
> >

> > --
> > ----- |(*,+,#,=)(#,=,*,+)(=,#,+,*)(+,*,=,#)| ---
> > http://paulhertz.net/
> > --
> > Visit this group at
> > http://groups.google.com/group/chicago-new-media.
>

> --
> With Best Regards, Jim Plaxco
> */\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/*
> | A R T S N O V A
> | Gallery--> http://www.artsnova.com/
> | Blog-----> http://artsnova.com/blog/
> | FanPage--> http://www.facebook.com/Artsnova.Art.of.Jim.Plaxco
> | LinkedIn-> http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimplaxco
> | Facebook-> http://www.facebook.com/jim.plaxco
> | Twitter--> http://twitter.com/digitalart
> */\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/*

Jim Plaxco - Artsnova

Nov 24, 2013, 3:16:12 PM11/24/13
to chicago-...@googlegroups.com, Stelios Valavanis, j...@artsnova.com, Paul Hertz
Hi Stelios,

On 11/23/2013 8:50 PM, Stelios Valavanis wrote:
> I have no idea who admins the googlegroup.

Darn. And I haven't gotten a response yet to the email I sent via
Google's admin contact form.

> I really cannot take on the
> site so I'm happy to make an admin account for anybody that wants to.

I could certainly admin the site but what would be the point if no
content is being produced?

How many people here would be willing to be contributors to a
rejuvenated upgradechicago.org blog?

> definitely will come to a meeting.
>
> So shall I renew the domain upgradechicago.org?

What's the deadline for renewing? I'd hate to see you spend time and
money on domain renewal if no one is willing to contribute content.

I will admin but the amount of content I could contribute would be
minimal. In a better world we would have a small group of posters, each
from a different organization providing updates on their org's activities.

For example, Paul (just to put him on the spot) would be the perfect
person to post items relevant to New Media Caucus.

Paul Hertz

Nov 24, 2013, 5:40:24 PM11/24/13
to j...@artsnova.com, chicago new media, Stelios Valavanis
Lincoln Schatz is the owner for the chicago-new-media group. Don't expect an answer from him. He hasn't participated in the list for some time and just never got around to changing the ownerhship.

I am one of the managers for the group. Management responsibilities are simple: approve new members and ward off spam that escapes Google's filters. There has been practically no activity in the group for a year or more.

I have heard back from Nick Briz very briefly. Oddly enough, he is not on the mailing list. He is the last person to have organized events and was also in contact with the international group.

I suggest that we try to iron things out at a general meeting in the new year, and consider posting information for people who might be interested to other lists and FB pages.

cheers,

-- Paul

Jim Plaxco - Artsnova

Nov 24, 2013, 10:44:19 PM11/24/13
to chicago-...@googlegroups.com, Paul Hertz, j...@artsnova.com, Stelios Valavanis
Hi Paul,

On 11/24/2013 4:40 PM, Paul Hertz wrote:
> Lincoln Schatz is the owner for the chicago-new-media group. Don't
> expect an answer from him. He hasn't participated in the list for some
> time and just never got around to changing the ownerhship.

Thanks. Do you happen to have his email address? I'd be willing to
contact him on this issue.

> I am one of the managers for the group. Management responsibilities
> are simple: approve new members and ward off spam that escapes
> Google's filters.

Great. I'm not real familiar with Google groups management but would be
happy to learn more.

> There has been practically no activity in the group for a year or more.

I'm one of those people who signed up within the last 3 years and had
pretty much forgotten it until email cleaning and seeing Stelios's post
from last month about the mobile processing conference. Note that UIC
is one of the Processing cities and they do have meetings. I've meant to
get to one but just never made it. Perhaps that could be an alternate
meeting venue giving us a choice of destinations.

> I have heard back from Nick Briz very briefly. Oddly enough, he is not
> on the mailing list. He is the last person to have organized events
> and was also in contact with the international group.
>
> I suggest that we try to iron things out at a general meeting in the
> new year, and consider posting information for people who might be
> interested to other lists and FB pages.

I run a fairly large Linkedin Chicago artists group though most members
don't seem to be new media.

Of course if everyone here joined that group...
The url is
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Chicago-Creative-Artist-Network-3277378

There is also CAR - I've posted events to their web site in the past -
but not the recent past.

> cheers,
>
> -- Paul

Thanks Paul.

Stelios Valavanis

Nov 25, 2013, 1:00:29 AM11/25/13
to chicago-...@googlegroups.com
The domain is up in Feb so we have time to decide. I don't think anyone
is going to magically start posting so I don't see a use for the site. I
would like to see the email list persist because there is good stuff
here and there. I don't know of any other new media type group in
Chicago. If there is we should just merge in.

Jim Plaxco - Artsnova

Nov 25, 2013, 12:03:22 PM11/25/13

On 11/25/2013 12:00 AM, Stelios Valavanis wrote:
> The domain is up in Feb so we have time to decide. I don't think anyone
> is going to magically start posting so I don't see a use for the site.

If we hold meetings that would be a good use for the site.

> would like to see the email list persist because there is good stuff
> here and there.

Agreed. Right now that is the only communication tool we have.

One issue is that I have no idea what fraction of the people in the
group receive the email traffic. For example, I have email updates
turned off for most all the Yahoo groups I'm a member of and some of
them I haven't checked on in years. If 90% here have opted out of email
they will have no knowledge of what is going on - which is why its
important to have the ability to do a push email.

Paul - care to add me as an admin to the group or is that something that
only the group owner can do?

> I don't know of any other new media type group in
> Chicago. If there is we should just merge in.

We seem to be it. As I mentioned UIC has a Processing group whose focus
is the Processing language of which I am a user.

Stelios Valavanis

Nov 25, 2013, 3:34:44 PM11/25/13
to chicago-...@googlegroups.com
Agreed.

Josephine Lipuma

Nov 25, 2013, 3:36:18 PM11/25/13
to chicago-...@googlegroups.com
Could we please do webinars? We could do them via skype?
Thanks so,
Josephine Lipuma

Jim Plaxco - Artsnova

Nov 25, 2013, 11:19:53 PM11/25/13
to chicago-...@googlegroups.com, Josephine Lipuma
Hi Josephine,

Great to hear another voice on this.

On 11/25/2013 2:36 PM, Josephine Lipuma wrote:
Could we please do webinars?

As in virtual meetings or as in presentations or both?

We could do them via skype?

Skye freeloaders like myself can only do audio conference calls. In order to do video conferencing you need to be a paying user.

Google hangouts are another possibility but are limited to 10 in terms of a conference call.

Now if there was to be a meeting at a location that had the necessary equipment and setup for doing a live webcast that would be really cool.

The question is  access and expertise.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/chicago-new-media.

Paul Catanese

Nov 25, 2013, 11:32:56 PM11/25/13
to chicago-...@googlegroups.com
I think Paul's idea of meeting up in jan or early february to iron things out sounds really good. I'm interested in hearing about what folks are up to in their studios, sharing ideas, etc.
-paul

Josephine Lipuma

Nov 25, 2013, 11:36:22 PM11/25/13
to chicago-...@googlegroups.com

@all,
I am a paying Skype member.
JL

On Monday, November 25, 2013 10:32 PM, Paul Catanese <catane...@gmail.com> wrote:
I think Paul's idea of meeting up in jan or early february to iron things out sounds really good.  I'm interested in hearing about what folks are up to in their studios, sharing ideas, etc.
-paul

Josephine Lipuma

Nov 25, 2013, 11:42:10 PM11/25/13
to chicago-...@googlegroups.com
@all,
We could start a private Facebook group, it would be easier for us, you think?
JL

Stelios Valavanis

Nov 25, 2013, 11:54:35 PM11/25/13
to chicago-...@googlegroups.com
Google hangouts limit of 10 people are just for 2-way. Unlimited users
can watch. Then the creator of the "hangout" can knock people off and
others in. I think they can chat in is how you know they want in. I've
never done this but have used hangouts for a group meeting. You just
need to have a free Youtube account.

Also like the idea of a FB group instead of a web site.

On Mon, 2013-11-25 at 20:42 -0800, Josephine Lipuma wrote:
> @all,
> We could start a private Facebook group, it would be easier for us,
> you think?
> JL
>

> On , Josephine Lipuma <jli...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> @all,
> I am a paying Skype member.
> JL
>

> On Monday, November 25, 2013 10:32 PM, Paul Catanese
> <catane...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I think Paul's idea of meeting up in jan or early february to iron
> things out sounds really good. I'm interested in hearing about what
> folks are up to in their studios, sharing ideas, etc.
> -paul
>

> --

Jim Plaxco - Artsnova

Nov 26, 2013, 9:37:56 AM11/26/13
to chicago-...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Combining three emails from Josephine, Paul, and Stelios  into one here.

On 11/25/2013 10:42 PM, Josephine Lipuma wrote:
@all,
We could start a private Facebook group, it would be easier for us, you think?
JL

No matter what social media platform is used, you still have the problem of getting the word out because people can turn off email updates.  So for "internal" communications I'd say the existing Google group is the best solution.

As an alternative to the blog, a private group would fail at promoting events outside the group - which is crucial to attracting new people.

On 11/25/2013 10:54 PM, Stelios Valavanis wrote:
Google hangouts limit of 10 people are just for 2-way. Unlimited users
can watch. Then the creator of the "hangout" can knock people off and
others in. I think they can chat in is how you know they want in. I've
never done this but have used hangouts for a group meeting. You just
need to have a free Youtube account.

Thanks for the clarification. I need to research this for my own needs.

Also like the idea of a FB group instead of a web site.

If the decision is to go forward with a group, then it does need to be public so others can find us.

Personally I would argue that the web site is the best form of outreach as a web site is more accessible to a larger number of people and provides a real home.

I think part of the problem right now is that the group has been quite for so long that it will take some time and energy to get people re-activated.

On 11/25/2013 10:32 PM, Paul Catanese wrote:
I think Paul's idea of meeting up in jan or early february to iron things out sounds really good.  I'm interested in hearing about what folks are up to in their studios, sharing ideas, etc.
-paul

So am I Paul,

I think it's reasonable to have a end-of-the-year deadline for deciding on a meeting date and location.

Also, I found Lincoln on Facebook yesterday and sent him a message about the Google group but have not heard back from him.