You all might want to attend this

Stelios Valavanis

Oct 24, 2013, 12:20:21 AM10/24/13
to chicago-new-media
in case you don't know about it... It's a free conference on the
Processing language on Android and much about making art on the
platform.

http://mobileprocessing.cada.uic.edu/
--
Stelios Valavanis
Founder and President

Jim Plaxco - Artsnova

Nov 19, 2013, 5:47:31 PM11/19/13
to chicago-...@googlegroups.com, Stelios Valavanis
On 10/23/2013 11:20 PM, Stelios Valavanis wrote:
> in case you don't know about it... It's a free conference on the
> Processing language on Android and much about making art on the
> platform.
>
> http://mobileprocessing.cada.uic.edu/

Did anyone here besides myself attend?

Note that they are planning on having this conference again next fall.

--
With Best Regards, Jim Plaxco
*/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/*
| A R T S N O V A
| Gallery--> http://www.artsnova.com/
| Blog-----> http://artsnova.com/blog/
| FanPage--> http://www.facebook.com/Artsnova.Art.of.Jim.Plaxco
| LinkedIn-> http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimplaxco
| Facebook-> http://www.facebook.com/jim.plaxco
| Twitter--> http://twitter.com/digitalart
*/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/*

Stelios Valavanis

Nov 19, 2013, 7:35:17 PM11/19/13
to j...@artsnova.com, chicago-...@googlegroups.com
I was there Fri night for a short while.

On Tue, 2013-11-19 at 16:47 -0600, Jim Plaxco - Artsnova wrote:
> On 10/23/2013 11:20 PM, Stelios Valavanis wrote:
> > in case you don't know about it... It's a free conference on the
> > Processing language on Android and much about making art on the
> > platform.
> >
> > http://mobileprocessing.cada.uic.edu/
>
> Did anyone here besides myself attend?
>
> Note that they are planning on having this conference again next fall.

Jim Plaxco - Artsnova

Nov 19, 2013, 9:29:24 PM11/19/13
to chicago-...@googlegroups.com, Stelios Valavanis, j...@artsnova.com
Hi Stelios,

On 11/19/2013 6:35 PM, Stelios Valavanis wrote:
> I was there Fri night for a short while.

I was there for the duration. I had a couple people ask me if I was
aware of any relevant groups in the Chicago area that had events. I said
no.

Given that this group has a couple hundred members and assuming that at
least most are in the Chicago area, that should be enough to support
having a meeting at some point to swap stories.

> On Tue, 2013-11-19 at 16:47 -0600, Jim Plaxco - Artsnova wrote:
>> On 10/23/2013 11:20 PM, Stelios Valavanis wrote:
>>> in case you don't know about it... It's a free conference on the
>>> Processing language on Android and much about making art on the
>>> platform.
>>>
>>> http://mobileprocessing.cada.uic.edu/
>> Did anyone here besides myself attend?
>>
>> Note that they are planning on having this conference again next fall.

Stelios Valavanis

Nov 20, 2013, 5:21:29 PM11/20/13
to j...@artsnova.com, chicago-...@googlegroups.com
We used to hold regular meetings but it's gone awry I'm not sure why. I
think some key people moved on and no one jumped in to lead. Still it's
a good list to be on. I wish I had the time because this is an awesome
group. I'm sure no one will object to you organizing a meet and greet. I
can bring a small mic and speaker.

On Tue, 2013-11-19 at 20:29 -0600, Jim Plaxco - Artsnova wrote:
> Hi Stelios,
>
> On 11/19/2013 6:35 PM, Stelios Valavanis wrote:
> > I was there Fri night for a short while.
>

> I was there for the duration. I had a couple people ask me if I was
> aware of any relevant groups in the Chicago area that had events. I said
> no.
>
> Given that this group has a couple hundred members and assuming that at
> least most are in the Chicago area, that should be enough to support
> having a meeting at some point to swap stories.

> >> Did anyone here besides myself attend?
> >>
> >> Note that they are planning on having this conference again next fall.

Jim Plaxco - Artsnova

Nov 20, 2013, 11:59:19 PM11/20/13
On 11/20/2013 4:21 PM, Stelios Valavanis wrote:
> We used to hold regular meetings but it's gone awry I'm not sure why. I
> think some key people moved on and no one jumped in to lead.

That's something that happens rather frequently with groups.

> Still it's
> a good list to be on. I wish I had the time because this is an awesome
> group. I'm sure no one will object to you organizing a meet and greet. I
> can bring a small mic and speaker.

Excellent.

The big question is location. I am out in Schaumburg and know that I
can get free meeting space at our library - which would include AV
support. They also allow refreshments.

Does anyone have any suggestion for alternate locations?

As to a date/time, probably after the holidays would be best.

Perhaps such a meeting could serve as a foundation for an ongoing series
of infomral meetings with speakers.

Thoughts?

> On Tue, 2013-11-19 at 20:29 -0600, Jim Plaxco - Artsnova wrote:
>> Hi Stelios,
>>
>> On 11/19/2013 6:35 PM, Stelios Valavanis wrote:
>>> I was there Fri night for a short while.
>>
>> I was there for the duration. I had a couple people ask me if I was
>> aware of any relevant groups in the Chicago area that had events. I said
>> no.
>>
>> Given that this group has a couple hundred members and assuming that at
>> least most are in the Chicago area, that should be enough to support
>> having a meeting at some point to swap stories.

Paul Catanese

Nov 21, 2013, 9:24:42 AM11/21/13
to chicago-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone-
I think its an excellent idea to get a local meeting up and going again - I'd be very willing to assist with making space available through Columbia College, where I am associate chair of the Interdisciplinary Arts department. We have a flexible black box / experimental performance lab that we use for a number of things including visiting artist lectures, and the students run a salon series out of. Its a very cool space because it can be re-arranged for many different kinds of meetings. The location is downtown (Wabash & 11th).

It would be best to aim for after the holidays, and I'd need a little lead time, but I'd be interested in helping.

Let me know what you think-

-paul

--
Paul Catanese <pcat...@colum.edu> office # 312.369.8785
Associate Chair & Associate Professor of Interdisciplinary Arts

Jim Plaxco - Artsnova

Nov 21, 2013, 11:54:52 PM11/21/13
to chicago-...@googlegroups.com, Paul Catanese
Hi Paul,

I didn't know you were a member of this group. Small world.

On 11/21/2013 8:24 AM, Paul Catanese wrote:
> Hi Everyone-
> I think its an excellent idea to get a local meeting up and going again - I'd be very willing to assist with making space available through Columbia College, where I am associate chair of the Interdisciplinary Arts department. We have a flexible black box / experimental performance lab that we use for a number of things including visiting artist lectures, and the students run a salon series out of. Its a very cool space because it can be re-arranged for many different kinds of meetings. The location is downtown (Wabash& 11th).

That is a really generous offer. Thank you.

> It would be best to aim for after the holidays, and I'd need a little lead time, but I'd be interested in helping.
>
> Let me know what you think-
>
> -paul

That's a wonderful suggestion. Now the $64 question is the level of
interest of people in the group. So far we have you, me, and Stelios.
Unfortunately there is no way to know how many of the group's members
have their group settings configured to receive email updates and I
don't know if Google provides the group owner with a method to send an
email to all members as Yahoo groups does. Furthermore of the group's
members only about a dozen have joined in the last 3 years.

I've emailed the group owner (don't know who it is as google doesn't
share that info) re this matter.

Greg White

Nov 22, 2013, 1:13:32 AM11/22/13
to chicago-...@googlegroups.com, Paul Catanese
Hi-
Just thought I'd drop a line, I'm one of the dozen to have joined in the past 3 years and am getting the emails. That's a nice offer for the meeting space and I'd try to make it.
-GW

Stelios Valavanis

Nov 22, 2013, 2:57:50 AM11/22/13
to chicago-...@googlegroups.com, Paul Catanese