vaccuming up contents of a google group

1 view

Jeremy Freese

Jul 20, 2015, 12:03:55 PM7/20/15
to chica...@googlegroups.com
Hi, IF-friends.  This is so far outside the remit of this group that this sentence is a profuse and abject apology, to be followed by my simply getting to the point.

I'm doing a project with a graduate student on scientific movements regarding replication and open science.  We have assembled data from a numerous sources for this, but another thing we would like to collect is the entire series of posts from a (public) Google Group that has been an active discussion group among psychologists who are open science activists.

In other words, I basically want to download all the contents of a Google Group.  This involves the world of scraping and APIs and whatever that I don't have any time or skill to do so myself, so I'm willing to pay someone a reasonable amount.  Thing is, I don't really know how one gets hooked up to someone who is able to do these things.  So I'd be interested in knowledge or advice if anyone knows how somebody goes about commissioning somebody for something like this, and/or what I should be thinking in terms of a reasonable amount that I would have to pay to get this done.

Apologies again for being so far off-topic, but IF represents an episode in my life where I connected with people with far greater skills in this domain than the ordinary social networks of a sociologist.

--Jeremy

Ben Collins-Sussman

Jul 21, 2015, 12:14:47 PM7/21/15
to chica...@googlegroups.com
Google's Data Liberation team runs out of my office and I asked them.  They said that they're working on making it easy to download all messages with one click, but that feature won't be ready until September.

Jeremy Freese

Jul 21, 2015, 1:56:02 PM7/21/15
to chica...@googlegroups.com
Whoa, thanks!  I forgot you worked for Google.  A different one of my desperate queries yesterday led me to a guy who quoted me a price of $1200-$1500 to program it, so this beats that.

--Jeremy

Andrew Schultz

Jul 21, 2015, 1:59:41 PM7/21/15
to chica...@googlegroups.com
Willing to wait a month to avoid paying $1k+? Why do you hate small business and personal initative so much? /sarcasm font

Seriously, it was a question I was somewhat curious about, too. So it's good someone asked it, and there's an answer, and it's available soon. And it's cool people have legitimate reasons for asking beyond "I'm just nosy," and it's cool to see what everyone's up to outside of the group.

Hope the research goes well!