Meetup!

David C.

Apr 1, 2018, 9:29:03 PM4/1/18
to Chicago Interactive Fiction Group
I think it's time to get together. The weather is getting nicer and I actually have free time.

Not sure if the usual coffee shop exists, but I'm sure we can find a spot.

Dave

David Cornelson

Apr 1, 2018, 9:34:29 PM4/1/18
to chica...@googlegroups.com
Looks like Filter closed and I can't find what replaced it, if anything.

Andrew Schultz

Apr 1, 2018, 10:14:27 PM4/1/18
to chica...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, looks like it closed. It was nice and relatively quiet without being too dead.

I'd be willing to meet up pretty much anywhere in the city.

I hope people have kept busy with their own projects.

IF Karona

Apr 2, 2018, 1:07:49 AM4/2/18
to chica...@googlegroups.com
It would be most convenient for me to meet up somewhere near a brown line or blue line station. That said, I am open to other suggestions.

Peter Nepstad

Apr 2, 2018, 9:41:17 PM4/2/18
to chica...@googlegroups.com
I’m on board too downtown or wicker park is good for me too

I’m so sad filter is gone!!!

Ed Blair

Apr 5, 2018, 1:38:37 PM4/5/18
to chica...@googlegroups.com
I haven't done any IF stuff in a while but I'd be down to check in.
Are we looking for a coffee shop with lots of seating again?

david.c...@gmail.com

Apr 5, 2018, 2:15:45 PM4/5/18
to chica...@googlegroups.com
Yes.

Peter Nepstad

Apr 5, 2018, 5:45:28 PM4/5/18
to chica...@googlegroups.com
Wormhole is a coffee shop nearby but not a lot of seating options if I remember right. If bars are an option there's the Emporium, I don't recall what the noise level is in there for conversating. I work downtown lots of big bar/eateries in river north near the merchandise mart. I can't think of anything like Filter :(

Yes.

>>> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/chicago-if.
>>

>> --
>>
>> --

Ben Collins-Sussman

Apr 5, 2018, 11:08:48 PM4/5/18
to chica...@googlegroups.com
Sad that Filter died -- there's no place quite with that much room in the hood anymore. But I agree, I think Wormhole is the next best bet, and we should give it a try. They're open till 9pm every night, and the 80's theme is perfectly fitting of IF. :-)

If we can't find room, or get kicked out early, the wonderful Volumes Book-cafe is just a block down, and they're open till 10pm. They may have room for us as well.

Yes.

>>> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/chicago-if.
>>

>> --
>>
>> --

david.c...@gmail.com

Apr 5, 2018, 11:23:01 PM4/5/18
to chica...@googlegroups.com
Wormhole looks good but we’ll need the backup.

I suggest next Thursday night at 6:30.

Peter Nepstad

Apr 8, 2018, 12:52:37 AM4/8/18
to chica...@googlegroups.com
Generally speaking just about any night would do for me but as it turns out I'm going to Margo Price concert on the 12th, so actually any night other than the one you just picked. The Thursday following? I'm open whenever, except for that one specific evening...!

Yes.

>>> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/chicago-if.
>>

>> --
>>
>> --

IF Karona

Apr 8, 2018, 1:24:12 AM4/8/18
to chica...@googlegroups.com
I am in a similar situation. Generally week night's are good for me, but on the 12th I will be observing an annual religious tradition that will not be conducive for a meetup.

david.c...@gmail.com

Apr 8, 2018, 1:37:18 AM4/8/18
to chica...@googlegroups.com
April 19th?

IF Karona

Apr 8, 2018, 1:40:29 AM4/8/18
to chica...@googlegroups.com
That works for me! How do others feel?

April 19th?

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/chicago-if.

Ben Collins-Sussman

Apr 8, 2018, 9:56:06 AM4/8/18
to chica...@googlegroups.com

I'm in SF that week. :-/

April 19th?
Yes.

>>> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/chicago-if.
>>

>> --
>>
>> --

Ben Collins-Sussman

Jun 30, 2018, 2:51:10 PM6/30/18
to chica...@googlegroups.com
We should try meeting again someday.  :-)  Plenty of other hipster coffee shops in Wicker Park, though!  Brü Chicago is a good option (open till 8pm), and so is Alliance Bakery (open till 9pm).

Have you folks tried A Beauty Cold and Austere?  A whole game based on exploring the beauty of mathematics.  Sounds like it was made for Andrew Schultz.  :-)

Andrew Schultz

Jun 30, 2018, 4:09:31 PM6/30/18
to chica...@googlegroups.com
Funny you should say that! Someone who tested the game before me told Mike Spivey (the author) the same thing. I had fun testing it and helping iron a few things out.

It would be interesting to see more games like that for other subjects. Chinese Room deals with philosophy, and I think it inspired ABCA. It seems like chemistry and physics would be ripe for that sort of creative treatment, too.

It would be nice to get together. Maybe if/when it is not too hot. Since I've started using Divvy regularly, I'm a lot less at the mercy of bus schedules, so there is one less silly excuse not to get out and visit somewhere new. Both look pretty close to a bike station, too.

Jeremy Freese

Jun 30, 2018, 4:55:40 PM6/30/18
to chica...@googlegroups.com
Have divvy-like electric scooters come to Chicago yet?  All over SF, in the way that makes you wonder whether it is a fad or a Moment In Transportation History.

Ben Collins-Sussman

Andrew Schultz

Jun 30, 2018, 5:33:15 PM6/30/18
to chica...@googlegroups.com
I've seen plenty of scooter-skateboard things (not sure what they're called) in bike lanes, but Divvy only has regular old-school bikes. Whatever those things are, they seem like they're going to last longer than Segways. (Remember those?)

I was considering Cragne Manor, but then, I have my own stuff to work on, and I don't want it to get in the way. If I have any sort of idea, I'll sign up, but horror really isn't my genre. Even being able to riff on horror isn't.

Jeremy Freese

Ed Blair

Jun 30, 2018, 9:33:06 PM6/30/18
to chica...@googlegroups.com
don't those scooters call the cops? y'all can keep 'em.

i haven't putzed with inform in a long time but a single room might
still be within my grasp. lemme see how many other deadlines i have
going on right now. also i can meet, and i have a friend who'd like to
come along depending on timing.

ed.

>>> --
>>
>> --

IF Karona

Jul 1, 2018, 2:17:46 PM7/1/18
to chica...@googlegroups.com
I got to hang out for a bit with the folks in Club Floyd and play A Beauty Cold and Austere. Despite having no great passion for mathematics, I found the game immediately compelling.

Anyway, I too can get behind this we-should-try-meeting-again plan.

Ben Collins-Sussman

Jul 21, 2018, 8:08:24 PM7/21/18
to chica...@googlegroups.com
Was in Cambridge MA this week, went to the IF Meetup at MIT, run by Zarf.  Got to playtest his 1-room for Cragne Manor, then we all went out to dinner.  Pretty fun time.  :-)

Jack Welch

Sep 30, 2018, 5:15:55 PM9/30/18
to chica...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chicago IF Folks,

I'm in town for a conference that goes through Tue afternoon, so I was curious if anyone would like to get tomorrow for dinner/drinks/etc. tomorrow night.

Tomorrow night is October 1, so it's also the night that IFcomp should go live.

Depending on whether games are actually posted in time, we can either obsess about may be coming this year, or if the games are online, we can pour over the covers and blurbs and make wild extrapolations.

Either way, if anyone's interested, let me know. I don't know Chicago all that well, so I'll rely on your recommendation.

If nobody can make it, no sweat - this is ultra short notice.

Cheers,

Jack

david.c...@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2018, 5:16:37 PM9/30/18
to chica...@googlegroups.com
I’m in.

Jack Welch

Sep 30, 2018, 5:23:06 PM9/30/18
to chica...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Sep 30, 2018 at 4:16 PM <david.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
I’m in.

Great! Is there a successor to the Filter Cafe?

- Jack

david.c...@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2018, 7:39:29 PM9/30/18
to chica...@googlegroups.com
We never nailed one down.

Ben Collins-Sussman

Sep 30, 2018, 7:48:10 PM9/30/18
to chicago-if
I'm in. Let's go to Haven Lounge, which is a late night coffee shop and bar built into the Den Theatre, just a block down from where Filter used to be. Looks perfect, and is open till 11pm.

Backup plan:. Emporium (80s Arcade Game Bar) is across the street.  Fun, but would be harder to hear each other speak.

What time?

Jack Welch

Sep 30, 2018, 7:58:14 PM9/30/18
to chica...@googlegroups.com
I'm flexible on time - whatever works for you guys - Jack

david.c...@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2018, 8:07:07 PM9/30/18
to chica...@googlegroups.com
I can’t get downtown until 7 ish.

Jack Welch

Sep 30, 2018, 10:58:04 PM9/30/18
to chica...@googlegroups.com
Ok, so how about Haven lounge at 7:30 pm tomorrow (Monday) ?

Anyone else?

- Jack

Ben Collins-Sussman

Sep 30, 2018, 11:05:16 PM9/30/18
to chicago-if
FYI, they have a coffees and beers and sandwiches.  Fine for a simple dinner, or you can eat beforehand.  :-)

Andrew Schultz

Oct 2, 2018, 12:38:28 AM10/2/18
to chica...@googlegroups.com
I'm sorry I missed this. I fell asleep...after IFComp I took care of a lot of things that I'd put off over the weekend, and they left me pretty tired. They were worth it, though.

Jack, wish I could've said thanks in person for all your hard work and great suggestions. Maybe some other time.

  Andrew

david.c...@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2018, 1:23:50 AM10/2/18
to chica...@googlegroups.com
I did the parent thing where you sit on a couch and wake up three hours later. Sorry I missed you guys.

Jack Welch

Oct 2, 2018, 9:02:55 AM10/2/18
to chica...@googlegroups.com
HI Andrew - no problem. I'm in Chicago for a medical meeting, so by the time we met last night, I had spent eight hours drinking coffee to ward off post-IFcomp submission narcolepsy. I'm back to Chicago every few months, so I'm sure we'll run into each other. Cheers- Jack

Jack Welch

Oct 2, 2018, 9:07:48 AM10/2/18
to chica...@googlegroups.com
Sorry we didn't run into each other last night, but I appreciate the parent thing.

I mentioned the meeting in Cambridge and had the same concerns that you did about hotel cost at the time of year (around graduations). Hopefully, they'll bump the meeting date, I'm hoping for earlier in the year.

- Jack

Jeremy Freese

Oct 2, 2018, 10:57:42 AM10/2/18
to chica...@googlegroups.com
Jack -- Are you still based in Madagascar normally, or are you in the US?

Ben Collins-Sussman

Oct 2, 2018, 11:05:04 AM10/2/18
to chicago-if
He's back for a year (in the D.C. area) before they get re-deployed next August, out to the U.S. embassy in Cyprus.

Ben Collins-Sussman

Oct 2, 2018, 11:06:10 AM10/2/18
to chicago-if
By the way, the new venue (Haven Lounge) is much better than Filter Cafe.  Awesome vibe, good beer, open till 11pm.  We no longer have the problem of "where to meet".  We should meet.