Adding to Flock advice

Peter Barash

Jul 7, 2022, 2:27:29 PM7/7/22
to chicago-chick...@googlegroups.com
So we lost one of our two girls this week. It was unexpected and my daughter is very sad. We're going to add one or two new girls so that our remaining girl (bantam buff Orpington and 2.5 yrs old. Gentle. Not aggressive) isn't lonely.

I'm looking for opinions on how best to add.  I'm inclined to adopt (vs store) I appreciate feedback on the following options..

1) add 1/2 young girls to let existing bird be less intimidated and perhaps motherly.

2) add 1 girl 1-2 yrs old so we have an even

3) add two girls but stagger their entry so as not to add two birds at once leaving me with an odd number.

4) something I haven't thought of yet

Thank you for your thoughts.

-peter-

Jennifer Murtoff

Jul 7, 2022, 2:34:38 PM7/7/22
to chicago-chick...@googlegroups.com
HI, Peter -
Sorry to hear you lost her. I'm curious about what happened to her. Did you have a necropsy?
It can be difficult introducing 2 birds who know each other to one. You might try 1 on 1. But nothing is foolproof, and a 2 on 1 integration might go just fine.
I recommend a slow introductory method: https://htrchickens.com/2010/07/12/hello-my-name-is-avian-introductions/ and introducing birds of roughly the same size.
Jen