Legalizing Chickens in Park Ridge

Alexandra Skallas

Jun 10, 2021, 3:41:02 PM6/10/21
to Chicago Chicken Enthusiasts
I'm a park ridge resident who loves chickens, and really wants to be able to own some. Park ridge doesn't allow chickens, but there has been a petition on change.org for a while, that has around 650 signatures, I tried reaching out to the creators of the petition, but to no avail. Does anyone know where to start when trying to get chickens allowed? I've made a presentation on backyard chickens, and have started drafting letters I could potentially send council members, but I'm not exactly sure how and where to start the process? Does anyone who's dealt with this have any tips?

Jennifer Murtoff

Jun 10, 2021, 3:55:49 PM6/10/21
to chicago-chick...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Alexandra!
I'm glad you're interested in chickens!

I'd suggest talking to all your village board members. Find out if they are amenable and what their objections are. Find solid, fact-based evidence to respond to their concerns. Take them on tours of well-kept coops.
Have people from the village continue to sign petitions and present them to the board. There are others in Park Ridge who've attempted to get chickens legalized: https://htrchickens.com/2020/04/18/sign-the-petition-for-chickens-in-park-ridge-il/

You might find helpful info here:

Get people together to make public statements at village meetings.

Present the village with a draft ordinance.

I have a small business called Home to Roost (htrchickens.com). In the past I have served as an expert witness and answered questions from board members. I also offered classes at the local library, as a requirement for people who wanted to own chickens.

----------------------------
Jennifer Murtoff

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 2:41 PM Alexandra Skallas <aska...@s207.org> wrote:
I'm a park ridge resident who loves chickens, and really wants to be able to own some. Park ridge doesn't allow chickens, but there has been a petition on change.org for a while, that has around 650 signatures, I tried reaching out to the creators of the petition, but to no avail. Does anyone know where to start when trying to get chickens allowed? I've made a presentation on backyard chickens, and have started drafting letters I could potentially send council members, but I'm not exactly sure how and where to start the process? Does anyone who's dealt with this have any tips?

Alexandra Skallas

Jun 10, 2021, 4:03:38 PM6/10/21
to Chicago Chicken Enthusiasts
Thank you!
I'll continue drafting my letters and see if anyone in city government supports me! Thank you so much for the resources, and Home to Roost is an incredible place to go for resources, and where I've gone for quite a bit of research. Thank you so much for creating it! Thanks for the help! I'm going to keep working and hopefully make some progress!

Jennifer Murtoff

Jun 10, 2021, 4:13:16 PM6/10/21
to chicago-chick...@googlegroups.com
Fingers crossed.
If you're interested, I have three classes coming up:

June 23 – Basic Backyard Chicken Keeping

This online class is presented by Home to Roost and the Fremont Public Library. Learn the basics of raising backyard chickens.

June 28 – Basic Backyard Chicken Keeping

This live, in-person class is presented by Home to Roost and the Lemont Public Library in Lemont, IL. Learn the basics of raising backyard chickens.

July 7 – Chicken Coop Basics

This online class is presented by Home to Roost and the Fremont Public Library. Learn the essential components of a chicken coop, important construction tips, and different coop styles.

Jennifer Murtoff