New To Chickens

Anthony Citriglia

Feb 19, 2024, 10:28:02 AMFeb 19
to Chicago Chicken Enthusiasts
Hello,

I would like to start my own flock this year.  I live on the northwest side of Chicago and have plenty of yard space.  Being new to raising chickens, I was looking for some advice on how to get started.  Does anyone do a Chicken 101 training or provide a crash course on starting and maintaining your flock?  I think it would be helpful to see how it's done in person before purchasing a coop and chickens.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Best,
Anthony Citriglia

lynnmiche...@gmail.com

Feb 19, 2024, 10:35:23 AMFeb 19
to chicago-chick...@googlegroups.com

My advice is to visit several different coop set-ups and plan what you are going to do before you get your flock.  I live on the NW side and you would be welcome to visit our setup.  I’ll talk you through our start, the changes we’ve made, and how we’ve settled in.  We started raising chickens in 2018 and currently have 6 hens.

Lynn Ankney

You can email me directly off list if you want to set something up.

Jennifer Murtoff

Feb 19, 2024, 10:43:32 AMFeb 19
to chicago-chick...@googlegroups.com
My name is Jennifer, and I have a chicken consulting business called Home to Roost LLC (see link in signature line). I'm teaching several classes at libraries, and I also do in-home consultations.
Email me to book a visit, or come out to one of the libraries!
----------------------------

Tim Norris

Feb 19, 2024, 11:16:01 AMFeb 19
to chicago-chick...@googlegroups.com
Definitely consult with Jennifer and when you visit Lynn’s coop, you can visit mine. We are pretty close together.

My best tip is to plan and build your coop before you adopt your first chicks. You never know what the weather will be like. Build it larger than you think you need it to be and fortify it well against predators and vermin!  Coyotes, foxes, raccoons, hawks and rats will all be visiting your coop.

It can all be quite rewarding and fun!

                   Tim Norris
  ... from the phone in my pocket

lynnmiche...@gmail.com

Feb 19, 2024, 11:27:58 AMFeb 19
to chicago-chick...@googlegroups.com

I’ll echo Tim.

Yes, take Jen’s class and then visit as many coop setups as possible so you can do what’s right for your particular yard.  I didn’t want to volunteer Tim’s yard when I posted, so I’m glad he chimed in.  He and I have very different setups, but all long-term, successful coops have common attributes including fortification against predators, spaces for your flock to seek sun/shade no matter the season, access to food/water and dust bathing, etc.

Cathie Van Wert

Feb 19, 2024, 11:39:06 AMFeb 19
to Chicago Chicken Enthusiasts
Hi Anthony,

My husband and I also live on the NW side (Old Irving Park) and we have actually come to the end of our chicken ownership and have a coop that we would like to re-home. It’s pretty large and can definitely use some improvements, but served us well for many years and, while we pieced it together, is pretty well designed. Would be happy to have you over to see it and chat about all the things we have learned over the many years! No worries if you decide not to take our coop, but we would love to answer any questions you might have.

Cathie Van Wert

Tim Norris

Feb 19, 2024, 11:52:05 AMFeb 19
to chicago-chick...@googlegroups.com
Anthony,

Our local Old Irving chicken community is a good one. I have another friend with yet a different setup you could visit nearby.

I’m beginning year eleven and currently have 19 hens and 3 roosters. In just this last week, as the days begin to get longer, our egg production has gone from 1-2 per day to 6-7! Chicken spring is near!

                   Tim Norris
  ... from the phone in my pocket

On Feb 19, 2024, at 10:39 AM, Cathie Van Wert <cat...@doubletakedesign.com> wrote:

Hi Anthony,

Tony Brummel

Feb 19, 2024, 12:04:26 PMFeb 19
to chicago-chick...@googlegroups.com

We have 16 hens & two Nigerian dwarf goats- back up to 7 a day and one of our hens, Amy, just turned eight and started laying again last week.

We are in Ukranian / West Town aka “The Patch”.

Best tips from experience:

  • See multiple setups
  • Research breeds
  • Establish your dedication level and true enthusiasm

We started 8 years ago with four hens. Then, added, then had a chick that became a boy and then we started incubabting…. Now 16. Best hobby and family members ever.

Suzanne

Feb 19, 2024, 12:13:17 PMFeb 19
to chicago-chick...@googlegroups.com
Hi Anthony,

I heartily recommend Jennifer‘s expertise, and you’re welcome to come have a look at my setup. I’m in West Ridge, around Western and Peterson.

Suzanne

Helen Cejtin

Feb 19, 2024, 1:57:36 PMFeb 19
to chicago-chick...@googlegroups.com
I would love to hear about your goats!

Helen Cejtin

Helen Cejtin

Feb 19, 2024, 3:34:56 PMFeb 19
to chicago-chick...@googlegroups.com
Tony can i visir your goat and chicken set up?

Helen Cejtin

Anthony Citriglia

Feb 20, 2024, 6:57:46 AMFeb 20
to chicago-chick...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,

Wow.. what a great community.  Thank you all for responding so quickly and openness to help. I will make sure to message you all individually to set a time to visit.

Best,
Anthony

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Chicago Chicken Enthusiasts" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/chicago-chicken-enthusiasts/CAL80k6VFa-tmYN164Vq8kgt5w55um-m%2B%2B5hsn1H%2B3iX_20PX1w%40mail.gmail.com.

Tony Brummel

Feb 20, 2024, 10:52:32 AMFeb 20
to chicago-chick...@googlegroups.com

Also- we are on Instagram at: @urbanfarmchicago

If any of you do anything for your chickens (or other animals) let us know so we can follow (another way to network / stay in touch).

Michal Eskayo

Feb 20, 2024, 11:48:28 AMFeb 20
to chicago-chick...@googlegroups.com
Hi Anthony
One more for you.
I live on the northside, so let me know if you would like to chat.

Mick

Kathleen

Feb 20, 2024, 1:46:29 PMFeb 20
to chicago-chick...@googlegroups.com
Hello enthusiasts. I am a first grade cps teacher and will be hatching eggs this spring. This year my focus will be Buffed Laced Polish bantams. If anyone is interested in a couple of newbies to their flock please let me know.
If you're not sure what the breed looks like follow the link below.

-Kathleen Gipson

Susan Boeman

Feb 20, 2024, 4:04:26 PMFeb 20
to chicago-chick...@googlegroups.com
Hi Anthony,
If you are not overwhelmed with coops to tour already, I can add ours to your list.  We are on year 12 and let our chickens free range in our yard all day and close them up at night.
We have 6 currently.  Lawrence and California area.
Good luck - biggest problem we have had with keeping chickens is always wanting more :)

Sue

Jennifer Murtoff

Feb 20, 2024, 4:07:24 PMFeb 20
to chicago-chick...@googlegroups.com
Chicken math!!!
I had a bit of a quail math incident last spring and now have 7....

Eric & Tsivia Cohen

Feb 20, 2024, 6:19:35 PMFeb 20
to chicago-chick...@googlegroups.com
Hi. We are in Logan Square. Happy to have you visit our coop and chickens. Eight years, 3 hens right now. A good number for us. Notice the hawk net. Cooper hawks active in our area. TC

Anthony Citriglia

Feb 21, 2024, 6:59:44 AMFeb 21
to chicago-chick...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Tony.  I just followed you on Instagram (I am mr_multifamily).  I do a decent-sized garden every year as well.  I really enjoy it.

Would it be ok to stop by for a visit on Saturday or Sunday?

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Chicago Chicken Enthusiasts" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/chicago-chicken-enthusiasts/IA1PR14MB62476E928074948D1930F451D1502%40IA1PR14MB6247.namprd14.prod.outlook.com.

Eric & Tsivia Cohen

Feb 22, 2024, 2:03:04 PMFeb 22
to chicago-chick...@googlegroups.com
Hi. Not sure about our schedule but one of those 2 days will work for us. Feel free to follow up. Tc

Message has been deleted