Re: [chickens] Digest for chicago-chicken-enthusiasts@googlegroups.com - 4 updates in 1 topic

Kathryn Humphreys

Jun 12, 2021, 11:51:28 AM6/12/21
to chicago-chick...@googlegroups.com
16 week Easter Egger rooster available

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 4:21 AM <chicago-chick...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Alexandra Skallas <aska...@s207.org>: Jun 10 12:41PM -0700

I'm a park ridge resident who loves chickens, and really wants to be able
to own some. Park ridge doesn't allow chickens, but there has been a
petition on change.org for a while, that has around 650 signatures, I tried
reaching out to the creators of the petition, but to no avail. Does anyone
know where to start when trying to get chickens allowed? I've made a
presentation on backyard chickens, and have started drafting letters I
could potentially send council members, but I'm not exactly sure how and
where to start the process? Does anyone who's dealt with this have any tips?
Jennifer Murtoff <mur...@gmail.com>: Jun 10 02:55PM -0500

Hi, Alexandra!
I'm glad you're interested in chickens!

I'd suggest talking to all your village board members. Find out if they are
amenable and what their objections are. Find solid, fact-based evidence to
respond to their concerns. Take them on tours of well-kept coops.
Have people from the village continue to sign petitions and present them to
the board. There are others in Park Ridge who've attempted to get chickens
legalized:
https://htrchickens.com/2020/04/18/sign-the-petition-for-chickens-in-park-ridge-il/

You might find helpful info here:
https://sites.google.com/site/chicagochickenenthusi/city-chicken-policy
and here: https://htrchickens.com/legalizing-chickens-resources/

Get people together to make public statements at village meetings.

Present the village with a draft ordinance.

I have a small business called Home to Roost (htrchickens.com). In the past
I have served as an expert witness and answered questions from board
members. I also offered classes at the local library, as a requirement for
people who wanted to own chickens.

----------------------------
Jennifer Murtoff
Home to Roost Urban Chicken Consulting
<http://urbanchickenconsultant.wordpress.com/>
My LinkedIn Profile <http://www.linkedin.com/in/jennifermurtoff>

Alexandra Skallas <aska...@s207.org>: Jun 10 01:03PM -0700

Thank you!
I'll continue drafting my letters and see if anyone in city government
supports me! Thank you so much for the resources, and Home to Roost is an
incredible place to go for resources, and where I've gone for quite a bit
of research. Thank you so much for creating it! Thanks for the help! I'm
going to keep working and hopefully make some progress!

On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 2:55:49 PM UTC-5 Jennifer wrote:

Jennifer Murtoff <mur...@gmail.com>: Jun 10 03:12PM -0500

Fingers crossed.
If you're interested, I have three classes coming up:

*June 23 – Basic Backyard Chicken Keeping
<https://fremont.libnet.info/event/5032551>*

This online class is presented by Home to Roost and the Fremont Public
Library. Learn the basics of raising backyard chickens.

*June 28 – Basic Backyard Chicken Keeping
<https://lemontlibrary.libnet.info/event/5133668>*

This live, in-person class is presented by Home to Roost and the Lemont
Public Library in Lemont, IL. Learn the basics of raising backyard chickens.

*July 7 – Chicken Coop Basics <https://fremont.libnet.info/event/5032561>*

This online class is presented by Home to Roost and the Fremont Public
Library. Learn the essential components of a chicken coop, important
construction tips, and different coop styles.