What is this?

Tom Woods

Oct 20, 2021, 11:39:18 AM10/20/21
to chicago-chick...@googlegroups.com
Chicken Enthusiasts:

I’ve noticed a patch of feathers missing on our Rhode Island Red, which at first I sort of chalked up to molting as I understand that the more mature birds can do that and she’s now over a year old, but I wanted to make sure that it’s not something more serious that might need to be treated/looked at. She is otherwise very healthy and is eating/drinking regularly, but it’s been at least four weeks now and the patch is still there if not becoming more thinned, along with a few other ‘balding’ patches on her body. I’ve included pictures for reference.

Thanks!

Tom

image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg

Jennifer Murtoff

Oct 20, 2021, 11:48:39 AM10/20/21
to chicago-chick...@googlegroups.com
Is she being picked on? Are pinfeathers coming in elsewhere? Any lice/mites?

Sent from my iPhone

Woodsconsin81

Oct 20, 2021, 12:13:51 PM10/20/21
to Chicago Chicken Enthusiasts
Jennifer,

Hard to say, as she is the alpha, so unlikely that she's getting picked on, and if anything, I think she may be picking on others (which could indicate a space issue, which I understand can lead to stress/feather loss). We noticed that the lowest chicken in the pecking order, the Black Star, had it's comb torn, and some blood drawn, so I'm wondering if there is some fighting going on.

How would I determine if pinfeathers are coming in elsewhere? Let me know.

I want to say that lice/mites are not a factor as I clean the coop every two weeks and spray down the dry bedding with diatomaceous earth, however, I haven't been able to setup their dust bath in awhile, which I need to, so not sure if not getting a dust bath recently might have led to this, but again, they are getting diatomaceous earth in their bedding to reduce the threat of lice/mites.

Let me know if there's anything I'm missing, or additional steps that I can take to see if it might resolve this issue for her.

Thanks!

Tom

Jennifer Murtoff

Oct 20, 2021, 12:40:45 PM10/20/21
to chicago-chick...@googlegroups.com
If it's a molt, you'll see feathers with a blood supply in them. if it's lice or mites, you can see them on the body (I doubt they are in the coop, unless they are in cracks between the boards. If it's pecking, you'll see v-shaped tears and a rough appearance to the feathers.
I'm not sure what the underlying issue is, so I don't know how to advise. If you'd like to schedule a housecall, I'm happy to come out. I can look at your flock, coop, and basic husbandry.
----------------------------
Jennifer Murtoff

Thomas Woods

Oct 20, 2021, 12:56:18 PM10/20/21
to chicago-chick...@googlegroups.com
Jennifer,

Thank you for this information. I wouldn't mind a second pair of eyes, but just so I know, is there an associated charge? Let me know.

Thanks!

Tom

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Chicago Chicken Enthusiasts" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/chicago-chicken-enthusiasts/CAD9_A%3Dym%2Bxm9U9XjRCQQsMJ6s%3D3620kXxfbNYj1fSg7Jkkg6Og%40mail.gmail.com.

Jennifer Murtoff

Oct 20, 2021, 2:03:54 PM10/20/21
to chicago-chick...@googlegroups.com
My rate is $60 for a 1-hr visit, with time billed in 10-minute increments after 1 hr plus $.50/mile outside of a 10-mile radius of my home in Broadview. (Emergency fee is $75.)
I work from an animal husbandry perspective and am not a vet, but I can refer for avian veterinary medicine if needed. I'm going to be shadowing a poultry vet at Purdue in early November and sitting in on lectures! I'm very excited about that!

Jennifer Murtoff