first time broody hen advice

Marie Naumann

Mar 23, 2024, 4:25:39 PMMar 23
to Chicago Chicken Enthusiasts
Hello All,

I have an 8 month old black australorp hen (Hen Solo) who seems to be broody--she's puffed up and for the 2nd day in a row she has been camping out in a nesting box, and last night she actually slept in the box.  She's coming out to eat and drink and seems otherwise healthy.  No rooster, no plans for hatching eggs.  This is my first experience with a broody hen and I want to take good care of her, but I'm seeing conflicting information about whether or not to intervene, how long to wait, whether or not to allow her to sleep in the nesting box, etc.  I am curious about your experiences and how you have handled your broody hens. Thanks!

Marie