Excluding certain items from Kideval NDW output

Erin Kosloski

Jun 26, 2024, 5:30:47 PMJun 26
to chibolts
Hello,

We are trying to figure out a way for kideval to not count xxx and interjections when calculating NDW.

I have attached a screenshot with our sample file (left) and our kideval output (right).

Right now, kideval is producing a NDW of 12. We presume it is including xxx and "eh" (both circled in red) toward the NDW, and we would like to find a way for kideval to exclude that and only count the words highlighted in yellow (i.e. NDW of 10). In the past, we have tried to tag words like "eh" with an @i to mark them as interjections, but we were unsuccessful in finding a way to get the kideval command to exclude words with tags.

What is the best way for us to tell kideval to not count xxx and eh as words toward the NDW?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

ndwoutput.png

Brian Macwhinney

Jun 26, 2024, 6:10:33 PMJun 26
to ChiBolts, Erin Kosloski
Erin,
You can transcribe forms to be excluded with &, as in &-eh. Check the manual.
Without your input CHAT file, I can’t totally track this, but I think xxx is excluded by default.

— Brian MacWhinney
Teresa Heinz Professor of Cognitive Psychology,
Language Technologies and Modern Languages, CMU
> --
> <ndwoutput.png>

Leonid Spektor

Jun 28, 2024, 8:06:30 AMJun 28
to chib...@googlegroups.com
Hi Erin,

As Prof. Brian MacWhinney stated KIDEVAL does not count xxx. Also, as he suggested, if you do not want to count "eh", then transcribe it like this "&-eh".

The major confusion seems to be in what TD_Words (NDW) counts. As the name suggests it counts number of words, not utterances. Bellow is your sample file that I modified to better show what TD_Words counts. The red words are not counted and the blue shows running word count. The output is below the sample data and the TD_Words is 11.

*CHI: it's an apple [% #words 3] .
%mor: pro:per|it~cop|be&3S det:art|a n|apple .
%gra: 1|2|SUBJ 2|0|ROOT 3|4|DET 4|2|PRED 5|2|PUNCT
*CHI: red [% #words 4] .
%mor: adj|red .
%gra: 1|0|INCROOT 2|1|PUNCT
*CHI: two [% #words 5] .
%mor: det:num|two .
%gra: 1|0|INCROOT 2|1|PUNCT
*CHI: oink [% #words 6] .
%mor: on|oink .
%gra: 1|0|INCROOT 2|1|PUNCT
*CHI: xxx .
*CHI: tomorrow we will [% #words 9] .
%mor: adv:tem|tomorrow pro:sub|we mod|will .
%gra: 1|3|LINK 2|3|SUBJ 3|0|INCROOT 4|3|PUNCT
*CHI: okay [% #words 10] .
%mor: co|okay .
%gra: 1|0|INCROOT 2|1|PUNCT
*CHI: &-eh .
*CHI: two [% #words 11] .
%mor: det:num|two .
%gra: 1|0|INCROOT 2|1|PUNCT

Verbs_Utt TD_Words TD_Utts TD_Time_(secs)
0.143 11 9 0

Leonid.

ndwoutput.png