CHIP +g substitution

Emily Harrington

May 3, 2024, 4:10:24 PMMay 3
to chibolts
Hello,

I am using the CHIP code to identify caregiver exact imitations, caregiver reduced imitations, and caregiver expansions. I have two questions about the +g option.

1.  I noticed that even without an added word list, the addition of the +g option changes some of the CHIP coding.

 I included files to illustrate:

In Test 1.chip I used: chip +bMOT +cCHI +q3 -ns +f +d +t@  @
 CHIP does not code the first two caregiver utterances (that's cheese; it's cheese) as expansions.

In Test 1+g.chip I used: chip +bMOT +cCHI +g +q3 -ns +f +d +t@  @
Both of those utterances are now coded with $EXPAN.

I actually stumbled upon this because I was trying to get CHIP to code those utterances with an $EXPAN, so the +g option is useful in that regard. However, when I read the manual, it seems as if +g should only do something if I also include a cut file in the command. I wondered if there was a list of substitutions that CHIP automatically permits when the +g is added to the command.

2. Is there a way to do both substitutions AND excluded word list?
I want CHIP to permit a/the substitutions, but ignore interactional words (similar to Sokolov & Moreton, 1994).
I tried this command: chip +bMOT +cCHI +g -harticle.cut -hexclude.cut +q3 -ns +f +d +t@  @
However, it is treating both lists as substitution lists (see TEST 1+g+exclude.chip). For example, the word "yeah" is on the exclude list. You can see on Line 69, CHIP is not ignoring the caregiver's use of "yeah" and is coding that as an $EXPAN.

Let me know if you need any other information!

Thank you,

Emily Harrington, M.S., CCC-SLP
PhD Student
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign