KWAL search to extract nouns with derivational morphology

Melisa Dracos

Oct 21, 2024, 11:40:09 AM (4 days ago) Oct 21
to chibolts
Hello!
I am trying to figure out how to modify the code I used last in 2022 to pull all the nouns that include derivational morphology produced by a child (all files) in a particular corpus. This is the code my students and I used to use successfully:

kwal (in the command line): +t*CHI +sm|n,&dv *cha

I have looked through the updated CLAN manual and the guide on morphosyntactic analysis, and I'm just not figuring out how to modify the code so it extracts these forms. From the last time I did this, I have a list of all the nouns with derivational morphology produced by the child, so I know all the forms that should be extracted. My output now only shows the names of the files, but no data.

Thanks so much for your help!
Melisa

Brian Macwhinney

Oct 21, 2024, 2:21:31 PM (4 days ago) Oct 21
to ChiBolts, Melisa Dracos
Dear Melisa,
The newer UD format for the %mor line does not perform any analysis of derivational morphology. For that, you should download and use the older version that is tagged by the ENG MOR grammar from the link given at the top of this page: https://childes.talkbank.org/access/Eng-NA/
The UD taggers have many nice features, but the one real gap is their failure to treat derivational morphology which is handled so thoroughly that MOR.

— Brian MacWhinney
Teresa Heinz Professor of Cognitive Psychology,
Language Technologies and Modern Languages, CMU