Question on directory structure

Thomas Eden

Apr 3, 2023, 9:58:18 AM4/3/23
to chianti

Thanks, Peter for the reply. I tried posting my reply yesterday, but my messages get deleted when I reply, which seems very strange. So, now I will try a new message.

I wanted to say that I was able to move beyond the point in my prior post where ‘dir_exist’ was invoked, but now I have a question with where dbase files reside. Fundamentally, I followed the installation instructions at https://www.chiantidatabase.org/instructions.html, so I did the following

  1. When I unpacked the CHIANTI_10.1.3_pro_standalone.tar file I placed it in /Users/thed4993/data1/chianti and untarred it.
  2. When I unpacked https://download.chiantidatabase.org/CHIANTI_10.0.2_database.tar.gz it was done in a subdirectory /Users/thed4993/data1/chianti/dbase.

My question is does this installation prescription look correct? If I hard-wire the !ioneq and !abund system variables, I can run use_chianti.pro successfully; however, when I run a simple isothermal example, the code can’t find any masterlist file!

So, it would be nice to know if I had the correct directory structure before generating a simple synthetic spectrum.

Thanks,

Tom

Peter Young

Apr 4, 2023, 10:20:19 AM4/4/23
to chianti
I worked offline with Tom on this issue, and the problem was ultimately that he had a different version of mrdfits on his computer that wasn't able to read the CHIANTI FITS files. We distribute the Solarsoft version of mrdfits with the standalone IDL software.

If you're wondering why a FITS reader is needed for CHIANTI, we distribute the "scups" (scaled upsilon) file in the original ascii format, and in the FITS format. The latter is quicker to read, and so the software defaults to reading this.

Peter