Looking for python equivalent of IDL routine "rate_coeff"

Matthäus Schulik

Dec 18, 2023, 9:02:08 PM12/18/23
to chianti
Hello,
thanks for providing this fantastic software to the community.

I was looking at the longer documentation in https://www.chiantidatabase.org/cug.pdf in Section 6.2, which mentions the "rate_coeff" function, which I would need.

Does this function exist in python, to extract the the electron-induced transition rates between two specific levels as function of temperature and electron density?

Assuming the function does not exist, I simply tried extracting the rates via
exRate  = fe14.Upsilon['exRate']

but this dictionary does not contain any information on the upper and lower level number corresponding to the given rates, and the code in Ion.py (lines 1600 in function drPop) didn't seem to suggest where it might be stored.

I presume this is a quick fix. for anyone who knows where to look. Any help would be appreciated.

Ken Dere

Dec 19, 2023, 9:22:21 AM12/19/23
to chianti
glad you are finding ChiantiPy useful

you are right that fe14.Upsilon does not contain the level information.  I should probably fix that

so

fe14.Upsilon has the following keys:

> dict_keys(['upsilon', 'temperature', 'exRate', 'dexRate', 'de'])

and fe14.Scups has the following keys:

> dict_keys(['ions', 'lvl1', 'lvl2', 'de', 'gf', 'lim', 'ttype', 'cups', 'ntemp', 'btemp', 'bscups', 'ntrans', 'ref'])

the lvl1 and lvl2 keys in fe14.Scups refer to the levels for the excitation rates.

when I fix this and include the lvl1 and lvl2 keys in fe14.Upsilon, they will be the same as those in the Upsilon dict

regards

Matthäus Schulik

Dec 22, 2023, 3:09:27 PM12/22/23
to chianti
Dear Ken,

I see, thank you.
As it turns out, the Upsilons and Scups have the same length and do represent the same entries in the SCUPS files. That makes it easy to identify the ex/dex rates.

my best