wildflower

Lorraine Jones

Dec 5, 2011, 3:32:02 AM12/5/11
to chiangma...@googlegroups.com
Dear Chiang Mai gardeners,

I have been trying to identify the wild plants I see growing on verges and wasteland here in Chiang Mai. Theer is one very common flower that I haven't been able to track down. It has white flowers that rather resemble camomile, and are about an inch in diameter, with five petals. The leaves and the buds look to me as if it might belong to the dahlia family. I'm attaching a photo and would be very grateful if anyone can help me with this.

Best wishes,

Lorri Pimlott
wildflower 2.jpg

Dokmai Garden

Dec 5, 2011, 9:58:46 PM12/5/11
to Lorraine Jones, chiangma...@googlegroups.com
Dear Lorri,

Indeed you have a member of the Dahlia family (Asteraceae = Compositae). There are many wild or naturalized members of this family, and unfortunately the Flora of Thailand volume on this family has not yet been published (after 40 years of work).

Coreopsis, Zinnia and Bidens are often seen along roads, escaping from gardens or accidentally introduced as weeds. In your case my gut feeling is 'beggarticks' (Bidens alba syn. Coreopsis alba). This species is not included in Tem Smitinand's list of Thai plant names (2001) but since the family has not yet been properly treated in Thailand I guess we have to be open minded.

Like so many other plants it is of South American origin.

If any of the readers of the bulletin board like weeds, we welcome you to a weed excursion in January:

Cheers, Eric

<wildflower 2.jpg>

Lorraine Jones

Dec 7, 2011, 5:49:39 AM12/7/11
to Dokmai Garden, chiangma...@googlegroups.com
Dear Eric,

Thank you for your very interesting and informative reply. I shall certainly try and come along to the weed excursion. I tend to see weeds as beautiful plants in the wrong place and as I  am only a winter resident, I don't have a garden here, so there are no weeds in Chiang Mai for me.

Kind regards

Lorri Pimlott