What happened to Steve Shill? He used to be the 9pm weatherman at WFLD/FOX ...

INDY4

Dec 22, 2001, 7:54:37 PM12/22/01

Anyone knows what happened to Steve Schill?
He used to be the weatherman at FOX at 9pm.
But he suddenly disappeared from that post ...

Thanks,

Nick
--

http://www.thehungersite.com/
The Hunger Site Home

Thinking on buying something?
Go first through http://www.thehungersite.com/
(click the Shop & Help link on the left hand side)
and follow links to many E-shops
This way for each dollar you spend, the retailer donates a cup
of food for the world's hungry

Dick Joy

Dec 22, 2001, 10:34:11 PM12/22/01
"INDY4 (INDY4)" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Anyone knows what happened to Steve Schill?
> He used to be the weatherman at FOX at 9pm.

He was arrested and/or accused for beating and/or hitting his wife. His wife later
denied that any of that happened, but Fox-32 decided that this somehow had something
to do with his on-air abilities to read off of a teleprompter and point to a weather
map, so they decided to fire him.

Sort of like a kid who doesn't like their teacher accusing the teacher of molesting
them, and even if the kid later admits it didn't happen, the teacher will still lose
his/her job.

ridiculous.

trotsky

Dec 23, 2001, 1:23:03 PM12/23/01

radioGO-SPA...@yahoo.com wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Dec 2001 00:54:37 GMT, "INDY4" <GunsN'Ro...@RULES.EARTH> (INDY4)
> wrote:
>
> >Anyone knows what happened to Steve Schill?
> >He used to be the weatherman at FOX at 9pm.
> >But he suddenly disappeared from that post ...
>

> Steve was accused by his wife of beating her, but she later recanted, explaining
> that her hormones were going wild that night ... or some such. But 32 canned him
> anyway, because of the negative press the claims brought the station.

Gotta love that "guilty until proven innocent" philosophy. Is it
possible to find out who made the decision to fire him, so we know who
the real asshole is?

Adam H. Kerman

Dec 23, 2001, 2:32:40 PM12/23/01
>>On Sun, 23 Dec 2001 00:54:37 GMT, "INDY4" <GunsN'Ro...@RULES.EARTH> wrote:

>>>Anyone knows what happened to Steve Schill?

>> Steve was accused by his wife of beating her, but she later recanted,
>explaining
>> that her hormones were going wild that night ... or some such. But 32
>canned him
>> anyway, because of the negative press the claims brought the station.

>Gotta love that "guilty until proven innocent" philosophy. Is it
>possible to find out who made the decision to fire him, so we know who
>the real asshole is?

There is no civil right to keep a high-profile job on television. It's
television: The perception was that he is a wife beater, so he got fired. That
is all that there is.

Golly: No television news broadcast has ever aired embarrassing allegations
ruining someone's reputation that later turned out to be false. One's
reputation is fragile. It's a known risk of being a television personality.
People who don't like it need to go into other businesses.

Dick Joy

Dec 23, 2001, 3:10:50 PM12/23/01
> Gotta love that "guilty until proven innocent" philosophy. Is it
> possible to find out who made the decision to fire him, so we know who
> the real asshole is?

Yes, this would be good to know, so we can get some kid to accuse him/her of molesting
the kid or something similar to produce the same situation so this asshole can get
fired in the same way and taste the same shit flavoured medicine!

big benz

Dec 23, 2001, 3:39:11 PM12/23/01
Dick Joy wrote:

> He was arrested and/or accused for beating and/or hitting his wife. His wife later
> denied that any of that happened, but Fox-32 decided that this somehow had something
> to do with his on-air abilities to read off of a teleprompter and point to a weather
> map, so they decided to fire him.
>
> Sort of like a kid who doesn't like their teacher accusing the teacher of molesting
> them, and even if the kid later admits it didn't happen, the teacher will still lose
> his/her job.
>
> ridiculous.

it's not as ridiculous as you think. television is a ratings game based upon
image. people want to imagine the person on the tube as their friends. the
reason why more people watch channel 7 news is not because the news is better
but because channel 7 is better at projecting a likable image for their on
air personalities.

when you lose your image of likability, you simply aren't able to do the
job, which btw is not reading a teleprompter; the real job is getting people
to *like* you so that they will want to watch you reading the teleprompter
rather than someone else.

do you really think that nbc is paying katherine couric $13 million a year
because of newsreporting abilities? hell no! they're paying her that kind
of dough because a lot of people on the other side of the boob tube like her,
even though they've never met her.

any time you *can't* do your job, you stand a chance of *losing* your job.

big benz

Dec 23, 2001, 3:39:42 PM12/23/01
radioGO-SPA...@yahoo.com wrote:

> Steve was accused by his wife of beating her, but she later recanted, explaining
> that her hormones were going wild that night ... or some such. But 32 canned him
> anyway, because of the negative press the claims brought the station.

i'll bet she sure felt like beating her then...

Charlie Schumacher

Dec 23, 2001, 4:56:56 PM12/23/01
Weather people don't use teleprompters.

"Dick Joy" <olda...@tradio.com> wrote in message

Dick Joy

Dec 23, 2001, 5:10:29 PM12/23/01
big benz wrote:

Now he has good reason to. Especially if he didn't do it to begin with and she made
it up like she now claims. Better yet would be for someone to beat up the asshole
who fires people based on what they do on their own personal "off the clock" time.

It sure would be awful if someone would post that asshole's name here and then someone
else would accuse them of something that would get them to lose their job.

Dick Joy

Dec 23, 2001, 5:10:33 PM12/23/01
> it's not as ridiculous as you think. television is a ratings game based upon
> image.

Only for those stations that choose to play that game, not those that want to provide
programming that people want.

> people want to imagine the person on the tube as their friends.

No I don't. I want the person to tell me the news. The person only needs an
understandable speaking voice, I don't care what he does with his personal life when I
don't see him or her.

> the
> reason why more people watch channel 7 news is not because the news is better
> but because channel 7 is better at projecting a likable image for their on
> air personalities.

Actually, FEWER people are watching local news because cable offers much better coverage.
That's why stations like CH 2 are considering to get out of the news business altogether.

> when you lose your image of likability, you simply aren't able to do the
> job, which btw is not reading a teleprompter; the real job is getting people
> to *like* you so that they will want to watch you reading the teleprompter
> rather than someone else.

Is that how YOU decide what channel to watch? That is not normal. I don't care what the
person looks like, or how they treat their wives. The channel that brings the best
straightforward news coverage without all the cheap teasers and bullshit stories no one
cares about, is the one I watch, which is always one of the cable news networks, not the
tabloid crap on Chicago stations.

> do you really think that nbc is paying katherine couric $13 million a year
> because of newsreporting abilities? hell no! they're paying her that kind
> of dough because a lot of people on the other side of the boob tube like her,
> even though they've never met her.

Now your contradicting yourself. If she would decide to pose for playboy, or do
something or get accused of something her boss didn't like, then it would not matter what
the people on the other side of the tube like or dislike, she still loses her job.

Remember, it was not the viewers who fired Steve Shill, it was his bosses. THEY are the
only ones anyone has to please. They are the only idiots on the planet that know less
than the people reading off the teleprompters.

> any time you *can't* do your job, you stand a chance of *losing* your job.

Steve Shill was still able to do his job, and he still lost it. You need to take off
those rose colored glasses and see the world as it really is, ridiculous.

Geoff Gass

Dec 24, 2001, 1:54:45 AM12/24/01
Dick Joy <olda...@tradio.com> wrote:
> Only for those stations that choose to play that game, not those that want to provide
> programming that people want.

People want what's on the local news. People are also dumb.

> No I don't. I want the person to tell me the news. The person only needs an
> understandable speaking voice, I don't care what he does with his personal life when I
> don't see him or her.

Then don't watch local news.

EyeonMedia

Dec 24, 2001, 2:59:50 PM12/24/01
>>Sort of like a kid who doesn't like their teacher accusing the teacher of
molesting
them, and even if the kid later admits it didn't happen, the teacher will still
lose
his/her job.<<

Actually, it's nothing like that. As previously stated, TV is about
"likability" and nothing else. No matter how good you are at your job, in
TV, if the customers don't like you you will be unemployed.

Public school teachers who have tenure can only be fired for cause. If a
teacher is exonerated of all wrongdoing, he/she will very likely be offered a
settlement that includes reinstatement. While the teacher might opt move on,
that will be the decision of the teacher.

Jasper Claus

Dec 25, 2001, 2:02:10 AM12/25/01
EyeonMedia wrote:

> >>Sort of like a kid who doesn't like their teacher accusing the teacher of
> molesting
> them, and even if the kid later admits it didn't happen, the teacher will still
> lose
> his/her job.<<
>
> Actually, it's nothing like that. As previously stated, TV is about
> "likability" and nothing else. No matter how good you are at your job, in
> TV, if the customers don't like you you will be unemployed.

You have not been paying attention at ALL! Steve Shill getting fired had nothing
to do at all with what the viewers thought or "likeability"! He was fired because
of being accused of wife beating. Most viewers didn't even know about this or why
he was fired. (as this thread shows)

> Public school teachers who have tenure can only be fired for cause. If a
> teacher is exonerated of all wrongdoing, he/she will very likely be offered a
> settlement that includes reinstatement. While the teacher might opt move on,
> that will be the decision of the teacher.

Man, you don't have a clue about how the real world works at all! Perhaps if you
ever watched or listened to a newscast, you would hear about teachers who get
accused of molesting or having sexual contact with students, and even when found
out to not be true, they are fired (or "forced to resign" same thing)

I can't believe you are so naive.

EyeonMedia

Dec 25, 2001, 9:42:15 AM12/25/01
From: Jasper Claus jcl...@npole.com
Date: 12/25/01 1:02 AM Central Standard Time:
(I can't believe you are so naive.)

Try to read this aloud. Maybe it will help you grasp it.

Shill was SUSPENDED because of his wife's charges, HE WAS FIRED because he made
a too much money for a guy who was not really helping the ratings and because
counteracting the bad PR seemed was too much trouble considering what he
brought to the table.

THE BOTTOM LINE: He didn't have the popularity to overcome the baggage he was
saddled with. It comes down to popularity and value to the station. No doubt
a cost value analysis was done, I would guess some focus groups were convened
and, in the end, it was decided the best thing for the station was to say,
"adios."

By the way, contracy to what you suggested, the charges leveled (then
retracted) by Shill's wife received a great lead of newspaper attention. In
addition, after his wife retracted, she and SS made the rounds of the radio
stations (I heard them on WSCR and WLS) to publicize the end of the charges and
to try to rally public support to save SS's job. Again, without the core
popularity, and with the additional factors, he was toast.

As for your comments about public school teachers falsely accused by students,
you are 100 percent wrong.

While many teachers in this situation might never get their reputations back,
they ALWAYS get their jobs back (if they want them), IF they have tenure and IF
have been completly cleared of wrongdoing. It's the law.

In situations such as this, it is common for a school board to offer a package
that includes severance pay and reinstatement to teachers who agree to move on.
I am also aware of teachers who were so popular with their students and the
community that, despite the wishes of administrators and the school board, they
returned to their previous positions with back-pay. The board and
administration had no choice under the law. As opposed to the FOX32 situation,
these teachers have acquired contacts and popularity that allow them to
overcome bad PR.

You aren't naive. Just without knowledge.
Merry Christmas

Jasper Claus

Dec 25, 2001, 4:19:09 PM12/25/01
> Shill was SUSPENDED because of his wife's charges, HE WAS FIRED because he made
> a too much money

LOL.
You have to remember when you post bullshit like this, I am not the only one who
sees it! You are making an ass out of yourself infront of everyone else who reads
it too.

Something to think about.

EyeonMedia

Dec 26, 2001, 8:50:48 AM12/26/01