do it? upgrade to Windows 10?

barbie gee

Jun 18, 2016, 1:40:01 PM6/18/16

My sister did her upgrade, and it mostly worked okay.

So, now I feel like I've got to decide if it's something I want to do to
my laptop or not.

What's the concensus here?

Crawford Sausage Company

Jun 18, 2016, 3:25:36 PM6/18/16
No and no and double no.

In general you should never upgrade OS on old hardware
as all new OS have bloat and although they are designed
to work on old hardware they aren't designed to work
well on old hardware. This is true for every Windows
upgrade since Windows 95.

That said upgrading to 10 is even worse than ever
in the history of Windows upgrades. If your laptop
works and does what you want turn off all schedule
upgrades and never take another upgrade again.
They will put telemetry on your laptop that frequently
phones home and you do not want your computer
using network resources without your knowledge.

If you want Windows 10 go to Microcenter and spend
$300 for a modern machine and you might get $150
for the one you have. At least it's running on
new hardware while you get treated like a potted
plant or a cow to be milked every so often.

Also, AFAIK, there isn't a single new feature
in Windoes 10 other than eye candy. It's the
ultimate in Malibu Stacy gets a new hat, and
a new phone to phone home.

Max

Jun 18, 2016, 8:00:02 PM6/18/16
Go straight to El Capitan!

barbie gee

Jun 19, 2016, 12:00:02 AM6/19/16
ja ja ja.

Michele

Jun 19, 2016, 2:06:29 AM6/19/16
I know a lot of people bitch about 10, but I've had little issues with
it. There's a slight difference in the UI, but overall, it's a smooth
experience transitioning from 7 to 10.

Bruce Esquibel

Jun 19, 2016, 6:59:45 AM6/19/16
Buy a Mac.

-bruce
b...@ripco.com

Crawford Sausage Company

Jun 20, 2016, 1:00:18 AM6/20/16
Do you realize how much shit they're sending back
to home base about you? Can you name one thing about
Windows 10 that is better than whatever you had?

Michele

Jun 20, 2016, 1:36:23 AM6/20/16
No more system hangs.

Crawford Sausage Company

Jun 20, 2016, 4:18:05 AM6/20/16
> No bmore system hangs.

Is this a fucking joke?

Michele

Jun 20, 2016, 2:18:09 PM6/20/16
No.

barbie gee

Jun 20, 2016, 7:00:02 PM6/20/16
Well, my sister's upgrade has now uncovered that she can't use her printer
anymore. So I get to go and poke around and see if there's a generic
driver or an updated printer driver for 10 (early first search doesn't
reveal anything...)
Koday EasyShare aio 5100.

It's gonna be along night.

Crawford Sausage Company

Jun 20, 2016, 8:26:23 PM6/20/16
That's a feature not a bug. Microsoft wants to protect
you from the dangers of running old printers.

Crawford Sausage Company

Jun 20, 2016, 8:34:04 PM6/20/16
Despite my dislike for running Windows boxes and
that my and your experiences on this are completely
anecdotal, I haven't had a blue screen of death
since Windows 2000 back in ... a long fucking
time ago. XP and Windows7 have been pretty much
flawless but I don't ever let the fuckers in
Redmond upgrade them. Now they won't even let
us dumb potted plants have that choice.
Fuckers all of them!

Have fun being their bitch with Windows10.
I enjoy reading about this shit show and
look forward to more narcissistic we know
better than you hilarity as Redmond tightens
the screws on the captive morons who make
up its userbase now.

dye

Jul 5, 2016, 4:45:39 PM7/5/16
In article <alpine.DEB.2.02.1...@sghcrg.sghcrg.pbz>,
I upgraded a 7" HP tablet from win7 which I use strictly as an audio (VLC)
server. Win10 is in no way perfect, last night it came up with the
wireless device disabled, but clicking on diagnose fixed it, but the
wireless connection was flakey until I rebooted it. I was cursing
most of the time, I use VNC to connect to it and the sporadic dropoffs
was pissing me off, cost me an hour....

--Ken

--
Ken R. Dye an optimist is a guy |
Chicago, Illinois that has never had |

dye

Jul 5, 2016, 4:47:34 PM7/5/16
so two people have suggested this, plus me as well...so a concensus
has been reached!

Crawford Sausage Company

Jul 5, 2016, 5:44:00 PM7/5/16
How do you install an Apple OS on a regular PC?

dye

Jul 6, 2016, 5:43:09 PM7/6/16