Windows 10

Crawford Sausage Company

Sep 19, 2016, 8:16:43 PM9/19/16
It's not as bad as I thought. Steam runs well and
it has been stable. Caught a deal on Civ5 for $7.50.
The UI works as well as Windows 7 which I liked.
Both Lenovo and Microsoft do a lot of chatter all the
time. Hopefully neither are recording keystrokes but
I'm not doing anything sensitive on it. As a desktop
running 24/7 having it constantly talk to home base
and sometimes download huge updates is manageable.
I would not want to fire up a laptop to do something
simple then wait a long time like a potted plant
while Microsoft does all its chatter.

VirtualBox installed nicely but
had a hell of a time getting Ubuntu 16.04 working
in a VM. I though Ubuntu was the answer bringing
Linux to the desktop. I was fucking with xorg.conf
like this was 2001.

Crawford Sausage Company

Sep 24, 2016, 12:37:59 PM9/24/16
Got my first forced reboot last night.
All VMs got shutdown and the PC
reset its setting to go into sleep mode after 4 hours
after I disabled this. I wake the PC to see everything
that was open gone and a nice Cortana message. How
about fuck you Cortana.

How in the fuck can this be acceptable? Don't people
run Windows boxes 24/7 to do shit? There's a way
to disable the update service but I still want to stay
on the update train, I just want to reboot manually
so I can shut everything down properly.

matt2

Sep 25, 2016, 12:00:02 AM9/25/16
I'm sure Microsoft would be happy to take your money to
upgrade to the Pro variant which allows you control over
the timing of the update.

Crawford Sausage Company

Sep 25, 2016, 3:13:25 PM9/25/16
MS deserves a crippling class action lawsuit over this and
their bullshit upgrade tactics which caused actual harm to
people doing work on their PCs. I didn't have anything
important and half expected this to happen but it's still
complete bullshit. I found this for Home users.

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-permanently-stop-windows-10-reboots-after-installing-updates/

Next step disable update service and if that doesn't work I'll
firewall all update domains and IPs from the Intertubes.
The final step is to download Ubuntu 14.10 and install
on another fresh drive and see if that works. I kind
of like Windows 10 UI but do most browsing and downloading
in a VM. The only way MS can spy on me is if they
have a keylogger. I wouldn't be surprised if
that's the next shoe to drop. CFAA violations are only
for the little people who must agree to EULAs. MS is
the house. They can do no wrong.