The Land of No Public Transportation

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 10, 2014, 1:22:26 AM10/10/14
I had to travel in The Land of No Public Transportation today. Did you know
that if you're going to Itasca (I picked someone up at the closest train
station to where we were headed) and you miss your exit from Tri-State
because you've gone through the wrong toll collection lane, that you end
up going 13 miles out of your way to get on another expressway that takes
you to an exit that's still 3 miles from the train station because there
simply aren't convenient exists due to the 290-355 interchange.

On a bus, if I miss my stop, it's a short walk back from the next stop.
Message has been deleted

spamtr...@gmail.com

Oct 10, 2014, 12:11:46 PM10/10/14
On Thursday, October 9, 2014 10:22:26 PM UTC-7, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> I had to travel in The Land of No Public Transportation today. Did you know

> On a bus, if I miss my stop, it's a short walk back from the next stop.

The CTA coddles bus people like Adam and Mark. In my day I had to walk
a mile just to reach the CTA.

Brent

Oct 10, 2014, 12:17:09 PM10/10/14
The correct transit analogy is a train that has no stops for miles so if
you miss your stop you're in the next town or two towns away before you
can get off the train.

Cydrome Leader

Oct 10, 2014, 12:50:14 PM10/10/14
Adam H. Kerman <a...@chinet.com> wrote:
The highways are kind of dumb in that respect. I do recall having to work
in Itasca for about a week. I was able to make it out there on the metra
followed by walking in areas that had no sidewalks, followed by more
walking. It was fairly unpleasant, but not impossible for the location I
had to go to, which was near the candy factory.

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 10, 2014, 4:06:40 PM10/10/14
When I lived in the suburbs without a car, I had to walk 2 1/2 miles to
a Metra station on a route with minimal service, part of the distance on
a busy two-lane highway with no sidewalks. In winter, where there were
sidewalks, they weren't shoveled. There was Pace bus service, too,
but that was a 3 1/2 mile walk. Living places inconvenient to transit is
no great achievement, dix. btdt

tert in seattle

Oct 10, 2014, 9:56:17 PM10/10/14
too bad you missed the Great Depression...you would have been awesome

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 10, 2014, 11:47:29 PM10/10/14
Don't think I'd have made much of an Okie.

spamtr...@gmail.com

Oct 11, 2014, 1:28:24 AM10/11/14
On Friday, October 10, 2014 6:56:17 PM UTC-7, tert in seattle wrote:
> Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>
> > spamtr...@gmail.com wrote:

> >>The CTA coddles bus people like Adam and Mark. In my day I had to walk
> >>a mile just to reach the CTA.
>
> > When I lived in the suburbs without a car, I had to walk 2 1/2 miles to
> > a Metra station on a route with minimal service, part of the distance on
> > a busy two-lane highway with no sidewalks. In winter, where there were
> > sidewalks, they weren't shoveled. There was Pace bus service, too,
> > but that was a 3 1/2 mile walk. Living places inconvenient to transit is
> > no great achievement, dix. btdt
>

> too bad you missed the Great Depression...you would have been awesome

Don't get me started on the Great Depression -- my old man was less
than two blocks from the CTA.

Lucky bastard.

M.L.

Oct 11, 2014, 9:36:30 AM10/11/14

>>The CTA coddles bus people like Adam and Mark. In my day I had to walk
>>a mile just to reach the CTA.

Improbable. CTA had a lot more buses, routes and stops a few decades
ago.

Cydrome Leader

Oct 12, 2014, 3:00:44 PM10/12/14
this is true.

nobody believes me when I talk about the elston bus.

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 12, 2014, 3:28:50 PM10/12/14
Cydrome Leader <pres...@MUNGEpanix.com> wrote:
>M.L. <m...@privacy.invalid> wrote:
I used to live on Kimball just south of Belmont. Belmont station bus loop
was the midday terminal of the Clybourn segment of 41 Elston-Clybourn bus.
At the time, the route ran infrequently weekdays only, and the Elston segment
was operated rush hours only. Without looking it up, I think shortly after
I moved there, CTA cut the Clybourn segment entirely and kept the Elston
segment, rush hours only, for a couple of years, then cut that out.

In streetcar era, there were two routes, Elston-Clybourn (replaced by the
41 bus), and Elston between Belmont and downtown. The Elston-downtown
route died when I was a kid, so I never saw it.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Geoff Gass

Oct 12, 2014, 10:26:40 PM10/12/14
barbie gee <boo...@nosespam.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Oct 2014, barbie gee wrote:
>> the number 58! I smoked many a cigarette at the back of that bus as a high
>> schooler. Clybourn, then on Belmont, and from there up Elston.
>>
>> The bus stops were more numerous as well.
>

> NOOOOOO.
> Adman is right, it was the 41, I think, not the 58... so what was/is route
> 58?

goog sez Ogden

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 12, 2014, 11:59:58 PM10/12/14
barbie gee <boo...@nosespam.com> wrote:
>circa around what years, then?

>of course, when I was a kid, I actually RODE on some of those old electric
>buses... Now that was a "streetcar", or at least that's what grandma
>called it.

I'll have to look it up. In much of the city, the progression was
streetcar > trolley coach > diesel bus, although CTA also operated
propane and gas buses. Major car lines that served downtown, like
Madison Street, were replaced with buses and not trolley coaches to
appease downtown property owners that wanted to eliminate overheard wires.

I have a vague memory of riding trolley coaches as a kid.

Here's a 1946 map. CTA exists but would not take over Chicago Rapid Transit
(the "L") and Chicago Surface Lines (street cars and extension buses) until
1947, and Chicago Motor Coach until 1952. Note bus service in Evanston
that CTA wouldn't take over until 1973 on a less extensive route network,
much of that is now gone, and CTA never took over the Chicago & West Towns
streets cars, all replaced by buses in 1948. Chicago Aurora & Elgin is noted
west of Bellwood, although CA&E owned the tracks until Laramie Avenue;
Garfield Park "L" to the east. No Dearborn Subway; State Street Subway
had opened in 1943. Westchester, Skokie, Stockyard, Kenwood, Normal Park
branches all exist, Northwest Side "L" branch off Garfield Park "L" serves
Logan Square and Humboldt Park "L" branches.

Every one of those solid green lines in the city and broken blue lines in
the western suburbs was a streetcar route.

http://forgottenchicago.com/wp-content/uploads//2011/07/1946map.jpg

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 13, 2014, 12:02:02 AM10/13/14
barbie gee <boo...@nosespam.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 12 Oct 2014, barbie gee wrote:
>> the number 58! I smoked many a cigarette at the back of that bus as a high
>> schooler. Clybourn, then on Belmont, and from there up Elston.
>>
>> The bus stops were more numerous as well.
>

>NOOOOOO.
>Adman is right, it was the 41, I think, not the 58... so what was/is route
>58?

Ogden/Randolph

spamtr...@gmail.com

Oct 13, 2014, 1:31:48 AM10/13/14
On Sunday, October 12, 2014 5:47:11 PM UTC-7, barbie gee wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Oct 2014, barbie gee wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 12 Oct 2014, Cydrome Leader wrote:

> >> nobody believes me when I talk about the elston bus.
>
> > the number 58! I smoked many a cigarette at the back of that bus as a high
> > schooler. Clybourn, then on Belmont, and from there up Elston.
>
> > The bus stops were more numerous as well.
>
> NOOOOOO.
>
> Adman is right, it was the 41, I think, not the 58... so what was/is route
> 58?

58 is/was Ogden Avenue

Cydrome Leader

Oct 13, 2014, 12:54:00 PM10/13/14
barbie gee <boo...@nosespam.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Oct 2014, Cydrome Leader wrote:
>
> the number 58! I smoked many a cigarette at the back of that bus as a
> high schooler. Clybourn, then on Belmont, and from there up Elston.
>
> The bus stops were more numerous as well.

you rebel you.

when was smoking on busses abolished?

Ts of Og

Oct 13, 2014, 8:28:52 PM10/13/14
On Friday, October 10, 2014 8:43:03 AM UTC-5, barbie gee wrote:
> I'm thinking getting to the IKEA in Bolingbrook has a similar problem.
>
> The signage sucks, and if you miss the exit, which is really easy to do
>
> unless you know you need to go to the manual tollbooths, you have to go
>
> way out of your way.

No toll if you go I-55 to Lemont, then north to Boughton. Tolls are for suckas.
Also the PACE 834 bus runs from Metra-BSMF stop at Main St. to the front door of IKEA.

Ts of Og

Oct 13, 2014, 9:14:59 PM10/13/14
Metra Reichsbahn Fuehrer Martin O'Borman can charge $100 for a single ticket for all I care. Metra will likely waste the fare increase on its bloated staff payroll. Any new locos or cars will be paid by Fed. or State grants.
Message has been deleted

spamtr...@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2014, 12:35:37 AM10/14/14
On Monday, October 13, 2014 8:40:01 PM UTC-7, beige bear wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Oct 2014, Cydrome Leader wrote:

> > you rebel you.

> > when was smoking on busses abolished?
>

> when I was doing it, it was already abolished. We'd open the window, and
> slink down a little in the seat. Usually the bus drivers didn't want to
> have to hassle with us snot-nosed punks so they let it go.

Were you wearing something like this, or something more punk?

http://spsmw.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Immaculata-High-School-1928..jpg

Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Oct 17, 2014, 2:18:46 AM10/17/14
Tollway should give discounts depending on traffic... if the average speed
is 55 then charge full fares. If the average speed is 23, charge half fare...

--
John Nelson
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page

Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Oct 17, 2014, 2:20:26 AM10/17/14
tert in seattle <te...@ftupet.com> wrote:
but he forgot to say "he walked uphill both directions..."

Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Oct 17, 2014, 2:25:56 AM10/17/14
My mom and dad always talk about riding "the green hornet" when they were
kids in the Great Depression.

tert in seattle

Oct 17, 2014, 12:49:34 PM10/17/14
Chicago Paddling-Fishing wrote:
> tert in seattle <te...@ftupet.com> wrote:
>>Adam H. Kerman wrote:

>>> When I lived in the suburbs without a car, I had to walk 2 1/2 miles to
>>> a Metra station on a route with minimal service, part of the distance on
>>> a busy two-lane highway with no sidewalks. In winter, where there were
>>> sidewalks, they weren't shoveled. There was Pace bus service, too,
>>> but that was a 3 1/2 mile walk. Living places inconvenient to transit is
>>> no great achievement, dix. btdt
>
>>too bad you missed the Great Depression...you would have been awesome
>
> but he forgot to say "he walked uphill both directions..."

fucken Jon Nelson ... the Usenet version of "The Family Circus" comic

Mark Anderson

Oct 17, 2014, 1:57:57 PM10/17/14
In article j...@ripco.com says...
> Tollway should give discounts depending on traffic... if the average speed
> is 55 then charge full fares. If the average speed is 23, charge half fare...

In order to balance load on a tollway they need to increase tolls during
congestion. Did you get your engineering degree from University of
Phoenix?

Michele

Oct 17, 2014, 11:56:15 PM10/17/14
+1

Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Oct 23, 2014, 12:21:36 AM10/23/14
Adam H. Kerman <a...@chinet.com> wrote:
>I had to travel in The Land of No Public Transportation today. Did you know
>that if you're going to Itasca (I picked someone up at the closest train
>station to where we were headed) and you miss your exit from Tri-State
>because you've gone through the wrong toll collection lane, that you end
>up going 13 miles out of your way to get on another expressway that takes
>you to an exit that's still 3 miles from the train station because there
>simply aren't convenient exists due to the 290-355 interchange.

>On a bus, if I miss my stop, it's a short walk back from the next stop.

Did you know that if your going to exit you should stay to the right?

Essentially you screwed up but you are blaming the road design (which thousands
if not millions use without issue).

Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Oct 23, 2014, 12:24:09 AM10/23/14
LOL, no (a state university), but if I'm paying to do 55mph and just doing
12mph, I shouldn't be paying full price... I can do 12mph on sidestreets.

Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Oct 23, 2014, 12:27:16 AM10/23/14
Tert (can I call you Tert?)

Your parents never said that to you?

Do you have parents Tert?

spamtr...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2014, 1:14:38 PM10/23/14
On Wednesday, October 22, 2014 9:27:16 PM UTC-7, Chicago Paddling-Fishing wrote:
> tert in seattle <te...@ftupet.com> wrote:
> >Chicago Paddling-Fishing wrote:

> >> but he forgot to say "he walked uphill both directions..."
>
> >fucken Jon Nelson ... the Usenet version of "The Family Circus" comic
>
> Tert (can I call you Tert?)
>
> Your parents never said that to you?
>
> Do you have parents Tert?

Sadly, tert seems to be parent-free. But I thought he spoke here
of his mom, once, years ago.

The most I was able to find out -- tert shares a hometown with
the Mrs. Olson Folger's Coffee woman. She married an actor
whose trademark was slapping his pooched-out lips with an open
hand, thus making a popping sound.

"It's the richest kind." https://archive.org/details/folgers_13

Mark Anderson

Oct 23, 2014, 2:43:56 PM10/23/14
In article j...@ripco.com says...
> >In order to balance load on a tollway they need to increase tolls during
> >congestion. Did you get your engineering degree from University of
> >Phoenix?
>
> LOL, no (a state university), but if I'm paying to do 55mph and just doing
> 12mph, I shouldn't be paying full price... I can do 12mph on sidestreets.

You're paying for use of the road dumbass. The only guarantee of going
a certain speed emanates from your warped mind. Tolls are meant to be
set high enough to keep away riff raff reducing congestion. if you
choose to take side streets the toll system has performed its main
function.

tert in seattle

Oct 23, 2014, 2:50:03 PM10/23/14
well this isn't creepy at all

spamtr...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2014, 3:41:02 PM10/23/14
On Thursday, October 23, 2014 11:50:03 AM UTC-7, tert in seattle wrote:
> spamtr...@gmail.com wrote:

> > The most I was able to find out -- tert shares a hometown with
> > the Mrs. Olson Folger's Coffee woman. She married an actor
> > whose trademark was slapping his pooched-out lips with an open
> > hand, thus making a popping sound.
> >
> > "It's the richest kind." https://archive.org/details/folgers_13
>
> well this isn't creepy at all

My home town is most known for being the home of one serial killer
and the preying ground of another. So a coffee huckstress is
almost as good as a future President.

The fact that you were deposited here on earth by space aliens
currently in orbit around Uranus -- I thought I would let you deal
with that.

tert in seattle

Oct 23, 2014, 6:10:02 PM10/23/14
this is funny stuff

but don't quit yer day job

Cydrome Leader

Oct 24, 2014, 6:52:43 PM10/24/14
spamtr...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, October 23, 2014 11:50:03 AM UTC-7, tert in seattle wrote:
>> spamtr...@gmail.com wrote:
>

>> > The most I was able to find out -- tert shares a hometown with
>> > the Mrs. Olson Folger's Coffee woman. She married an actor
>> > whose trademark was slapping his pooched-out lips with an open
>> > hand, thus making a popping sound.
>> >
>> > "It's the richest kind." https://archive.org/details/folgers_13
>>
>> well this isn't creepy at all
>
> My home town is most known for being the home of one serial killer
> and the preying ground of another. So a coffee huckstress is
> almost as good as a future President.

ha, "huckstress"

Ts of Og

Oct 24, 2014, 8:49:13 PM10/24/14
On Thursday, October 23, 2014 1:43:56 PM UTC-5, Mark Anderson wrote:

> You're paying for use of the road dumbass. The only guarantee of going
> a certain speed emanates from your warped mind. Tolls are meant to be
> set high enough to keep away riff raff reducing congestion. if you
> choose to take side streets the toll system has performed its main
> function.

Their main function is to pay interest and principal to bond holders. All other
activities are secondary.

Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Nov 19, 2014, 3:21:46 AM11/19/14
No, I pay for the tollway to get from point A to point B faster.

Tolls are set to pay for maintenance of the road, not to limit the drivers
to middle class and above.

sticks

Nov 19, 2014, 7:26:45 AM11/19/14
On 11/19/2014 2:21 AM, Chicago Paddling-Fishing wrote:
> Mark Anderson <m...@nospambradnylion.com> wrote:
>> In article j...@ripco.com says...
>>>
>>> LOL, no (a state university), but if I'm paying to do 55mph and just doing
>>> 12mph, I shouldn't be paying full price... I can do 12mph on sidestreets.
>
>> You're paying for use of the road dumbass. The only guarantee of going
>> a certain speed emanates from your warped mind. Tolls are meant to be
>> set high enough to keep away riff raff reducing congestion. if you
>> choose to take side streets the toll system has performed its main
>> function.
>
> No, I pay for the tollway to get from point A to point B faster.

From the toll highway act

(e) The word "toll" or "tolls" shall mean the compensation to be paid to
The Illinois State Toll Highway Authority for the privilege of using any
toll highway, or portions or parts thereof, by vehicular or other traffic.

> Tolls are set to pay for maintenance of the road, not to limit the drivers
> to middle class and above.

tolls are for the construction, operation, regulation and maintenance of
the system.

smr

Nov 19, 2014, 9:40:02 AM11/19/14
careful, sticks, you know Paddletoucher gets all confused when actual facts
make an appearance.

--
smr

Adam H. Kerman

Nov 19, 2014, 10:26:20 AM11/19/14
sticks <wolve...@charter.net> wrote:
>On 11/19/2014 2:21 AM, Chicago Paddling-Fishing wrote:
>>Mark Anderson <m...@nospambradnylion.com> wrote:
>>>j...@ripco.com says...

>>>You're paying for use of the road dumbass. The only guarantee of going
>>>a certain speed emanates from your warped mind. Tolls are meant to be
>>>set high enough to keep away riff raff reducing congestion. if you
>>>choose to take side streets the toll system has performed its main
>>>function.

>>No, I pay for the tollway to get from point A to point B faster.

>From the toll highway act

>(e) The word "toll" or "tolls" shall mean the compensation to be paid to
>The Illinois State Toll Highway Authority for the privilege of using any
>toll highway, or portions or parts thereof, by vehicular or other traffic.

I wonder what they mean by "other traffic". What is non-vehicular traffic?
Even a bicycle is a vehicle in the sense of right of way and traffic law.
If you walk through a toll plaza, you owe a toll?

>>Tolls are set to pay for maintenance of the road, not to limit the drivers
>>to middle class and above.

>tolls are for the construction, operation, regulation and maintenance of
>the system.

. . . and the Taj Mahel!

Ts of Og

Nov 19, 2014, 6:38:16 PM11/19/14
On Wednesday, November 19, 2014 2:21:46 AM UTC-6, Chicago Paddling-Fishing

> No, I pay for the tollway to get from point A to point B faster.
>
> Tolls are set to pay for maintenance of the road, not to limit the drivers
> to middle class and above.

The doubling of the toll charge for cash payers in effect penalizes the lower paid drivers who may not have a credit card to link to a transponder or even the large cash deposit needed to buy a transponder.

Same issue now for Metra charging $5 to buy a ticket on the trains from a conductor if boarding at a station with an open ticket office. With the conductor spending maybe 90 seconds to issue a ticket, that's loaded rate of $200 per hour for a high school graduate working as a conductor.

sticks

Nov 20, 2014, 12:00:19 PM11/20/14
On 11/19/2014 9:26 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> sticks <wolve...@charter.net> wrote:

>>> No, I pay for the tollway to get from point A to point B faster.
>
>>From the toll highway act
>
>> (e) The word "toll" or "tolls" shall mean the compensation to be paid to
>> The Illinois State Toll Highway Authority for the privilege of using any
>> toll highway, or portions or parts thereof, by vehicular or other traffic.
>
> I wonder what they mean by "other traffic". What is non-vehicular traffic?
> Even a bicycle is a vehicle in the sense of right of way and traffic law.
> If you walk through a toll plaza, you owe a toll?

Right up your alley.

(605 ILCS 10/32.1)
Sec. 32.1. Power to construct railroad tracks. Upon written
approval by the Governor, the Authority may exercise any powers that
exist under this Act on the effective date of this amendatory Act of the
97th General Assembly to design and construct new railroad tracks. The
Authority may charge an access fee to any passenger or freight rail
operator who wishes to use tracks which the Authority has constructed
using the powers granted by this Section. Moneys in the Road Fund may
not be used to implement this Section. Authorization must be granted to
the Authority for each individual and distinct railroad track project.
(Source: P.A. 97-977, eff. 8-17-12.)

Adam H. Kerman

Nov 20, 2014, 1:47:48 PM11/20/14
I have absolutely no idea what that's about.

Geoff Gass

Nov 20, 2014, 2:40:02 PM11/20/14
blue line extension to schaumburg in the NW/Adams R-O-W?

Adam H. Kerman

Nov 20, 2014, 2:48:37 PM11/20/14
No, that was a long dead idea in 2012. Metra S.T.A.R. Line was supposed to run
along the same route. I think they reserved some space in the reservation
when they reconstruct the tollway, so maybe that's it. It doesn't make any
sense to reimburse the Tollway's operating expenses with tolls. But in 2012,
S.T.A.R. Line was barely alive and no one was pursuing construction monies.

The only thing new in 2012 was O'Hare West Bypass, the last time I saw
plans (they're no longer on line) it would have crossed the same railroad
an amazing four times, but if the railroad had to be relocated yet again,
there's absolutely no way a freight railroad would agree to pay tolls.

Maybe it was STAR Line, but it sure doesn't make sense.

spamtr...@gmail.com

Nov 20, 2014, 2:59:09 PM11/20/14
On Wednesday, November 19, 2014 7:26:20 AM UTC-8, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> sticks <wolve...@charter.net> wrote:

> >From the toll highway act
>
> >(e) The word "toll" or "tolls" shall mean the compensation to be paid to
> >The Illinois State Toll Highway Authority for the privilege of using any
> >toll highway, or portions or parts thereof, by vehicular or other traffic.
>
> I wonder what they mean by "other traffic". What is non-vehicular traffic?
> Even a bicycle is a vehicle in the sense of right of way and traffic law.
> If you walk through a toll plaza, you owe a toll?

My guess would be a lawyerly catchall to cover any future eventuality.
(Courtroom scene from 2046: "Your honor, my client's motorized
pogosticks are clearly not a vehicle within the meaning of the Toll
Highway Act." "But, the Toll Highway authority is plainly authorized
to collect fees from nonvehicular traffic as well.)

Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Dec 31, 2014, 2:53:25 AM12/31/14
sticks <wolve...@charter.net> wrote:
>On 11/19/2014 2:21 AM, Chicago Paddling-Fishing wrote:
>> Mark Anderson <m...@nospambradnylion.com> wrote:
>>> In article j...@ripco.com says...

>>> You're paying for use of the road dumbass. The only guarantee of going
>>> a certain speed emanates from your warped mind. Tolls are meant to be
>>> set high enough to keep away riff raff reducing congestion. if you
>>> choose to take side streets the toll system has performed its main
>>> function.
>>
>> No, I pay for the tollway to get from point A to point B faster.

> From the toll highway act

>(e) The word "toll" or "tolls" shall mean the compensation to be paid to
>The Illinois State Toll Highway Authority for the privilege of using any
>toll highway, or portions or parts thereof, by vehicular or other traffic.

But it's not a privilege when its moving at 5mph and the traffic reporters
don't tell you before you get on and there are no exits in sight.

>> Tolls are set to pay for maintenance of the road, not to limit the drivers
>> to middle class and above.

>tolls are for the construction, operation, regulation and maintenance of
>the system.

You forgot to mention creating little Fiefdoms for hiring and doling out
contracts;

"Tollway contract linked to convicted felon By Chuck Goudie February 15, 2005 -
The I-Team uncovered a food contract between the Illinois Tollway and a
company that has ties to a mega millionaire. Eddie Debartolo Jr. is also a
convicted felon. Debartolo was once caught bribing Louisiana's governor with
a briefcase full of cash. ..."

Is William Cellini still the "Asphalt King of Illinois" as some articles say?

Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Dec 31, 2014, 2:57:50 AM12/31/14
Government doesn't operate for our convenience, only it's own.

smr

Dec 31, 2014, 11:20:02 AM12/31/14
On 12/31/14 1:57 AM, Chicago Paddling-Fishing wrote:
> Ts of Og <jgro...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wednesday, November 19, 2014 2:21:46 AM UTC-6, Chicago Paddling-Fishing
>>>
>>> No, I pay for the tollway to get from point A to point B faster.
>>>
>>> Tolls are set to pay for maintenance of the road, not to limit the drivers
>>> to middle class and above.
>
>> The doubling of the toll charge for cash payers in effect penalizes the lower paid drivers who may not have a credit card to link to a transponder or even the large cash deposit needed to buy a transponder.
>
>> Same issue now for Metra charging $5 to buy a ticket on the trains from a conductor if boarding at a station with an open ticket office. With the conductor spending maybe 90 seconds to issue a ticket, that's loaded rate of $200 per hour for a high school graduate working as a conductor.
>
> Government doesn't operate for our convenience, only it's own.

I'd love to see how your idiot spawn what can't even avoid getting
mugged on the Red Line would handle your Blennie-esque no-government
paradise.

Not well, I imagine.

--
smr

Ts of Og

Feb 4, 2016, 9:03:42 PM2/4/16
As of Feb. 1 2016 the conductor ticketing fee is $5, or $200 per hour on average.

Tommy Bagpipes

Feb 21, 2024, 4:38:23 PMFeb 21
On Wednesday, November 19, 2014 at 5:38:16 PM UTC-6, Ts of Og wrote:
In 10 years time Mehtra went to NO ticket booths and spyware Ventra app.
A third generation of Beverly flunkies are prowling Jackson HQ and loafing in train yards.
Bagpipes Out !!!