Re: TRANNY SHOOTING ALERT - Highland Park recreation director fired while on leave for parade shooting PTSD; 'I don?t want this to ever happen to anybody again'

Union whines

Jan 19, 2024, 11:40:04 PMJan 19
Molly Bolt <mollyth...@gmail.com> posted some
news:4d06c880-e021-43c1...@googlegroups.com:

> The shooter's mom is a hotty. If I was a man, I'd fuck her ten times
> a day every day!
>
> https://nypost.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2022/07/crimo-mom-004.jpg
> https://i0.wp.com/turtleboysports.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Screen
> -Shot-2022-07-04-at-10.29.30-PM.png?resize=523%2C698&ssl=1

A recreation director was fired by the Park District of Highland Park
while on leave for the post-traumatic stress disorder he has experienced
since the mass shooting during the suburb’s 2022 Fourth of July Parade.

While Chris Maliszewski was planning a return-to-work routine with his
psychologist, the 41-year-old was terminated from his position on Dec.
27, according to interviews and records obtained by the News-Sun.

As director of recreation, Maliszewski was co-chair of the 2022 Fourth
of July Parade and was one of the first Park District employees to
arrive at work that morning.

At the time of the shooting, he was at the start of the parade route,
just north of where a gunman fired into the crowd from a rooftop. The
mass shooting left seven people dead and dozens injured.

Later that night, Robert “Bobby” Crimo III was taken into custody by the
Highland Park police department. The 23-year-old remains in custody at
the Lake County jail and faces more than a hundred felony charges,
including multiple counts of first-degree murder. His trial could begin
later this year.

WARNING! TRANNY PHOTO!

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/002/398/584/ba5.jpeg

Maliszewski said he spent most of that tragic day riding around in a
SWAT car, helping to locate 13 sheltering Park District employees and
reunite them with their families.

As a Park District employee, he told unaware Rosewood Beachgoers about
the community threat. He also communicated with his family, colleagues
and friends about their whereabouts and safety.

For at least nine months, Maliszewski has been receiving treatment for
anxiety, insomnia and post-traumatic stress disorder related to the
parade massacre. He said he never suffered from any mental health
problems before the incident. He was on leave from the Park District for
part of that time.

Maliszewski has a pending workers’ compensation case related to the
psychological injury he sustained in the wake of the parade shooting.
His case began while he was on leave from his Park District job through
the Family and Medical Leave Act.

“In most mass shootings, there is an employee involved,” he said. “At
this point, I don’t want this to ever happen to anybody again. That’s my
goal.”

The termination letter and separation agreement sent to Maliszewski, and
shared with the News-Sun, offered him two months of severance pay, two
months of COBRA insurance benefits and a waiver of the health insurance
premiums the Park District paid on his behalf during his leave.

Due to the length of his leave, number of extensions and therapist’s
inability to provide a return-to-work date, Maliszewski was let go from
his position, according to the termination letter.

“The Park District cannot grant your request for indefinite leave (...)
and, therefore, is ending your employment,” stated Maliszewski’s
termination letter from Laurel Hall, human resources director for the
Park District of Highland Park.

Communications coordinator for the Park District of Highland Park
Elizabeth Gogola confirmed Maliszewski’s last day was Dec. 27. Gogola
declined to comment on the reason for his termination.

Panic at work

Maliszewski said he began experiencing panic attacks and insomnia after
he returned home from work the night of the shooting.

But for 10 months, he said he continued to show up at work and do his
best as an employee. He said he was “suffering silently,” and suspects
other employees were as well — and possibly still are.

Maliszewski’s mental health concerns came to a head on April 4, 2023,
when Highland Park High School went into lockdown after a threat of a
student with a gun on campus. All Highland Park government buildings,
including the Park District, went into lockdown for about two hours.

“That was the first time I had a panic attack at work,” he said. “I
remember my colleague helping calm me down in my office.”

At the recommendation of his colleagues and doctors, Maliszewski took a
family medical leave (FML) from the department on April 13, 2023.

He said he used 57 personal-time-off days, that he had accrued during
his nearly 10-year tenure with the Park District, for his leave.

In June, Maliszewski’s therapist told him the leave should be a workers’
compensation issue — the first time someone brought up the subject of
workers’ compensation to him.

Maliszewski asked his Park District supervisor and HR why he hadn’t been
guided through a workers’ compensation report. They agreed to file a
workers’ comp claim, which was initiated on June 9, 2023.

Less than a month later, on July 5, he had exhausted his 12 weeks of
protected FML, according to letters from the Park District to
Maliszewski. He wasn’t ready to return to work, so the Park District
granted him three more weeks.

“As soon as that happened, they started sending me bills and threatening
my insurance if I couldn’t return,” he said. “My mental health took an
extreme turn for the worse.”

For the extended, unpaid leave, Maliszewski received an email from Hall
requesting $870 for an employee insurance contribution normally deducted
from his biweekly paycheck.

Worried about losing his health insurance, he said he returned to work
on July 31 on a reduced schedule.

On Aug. 28, he took a second, unprotected leave at the recommendation of
his psychologist. Before he could return to work again, he was offered
two severance packages and was then fired.

Since the termination, Maliszewski said he has continued to struggle
with his mental health. In therapy, he said he isn’t even able to
address the root of his trauma — the shooting incident — because there
have been even more triggers and stressors in his life now.

“This whole thing has made me feel crazy,” he said. “It’s made me
question my existence. It’s made me wonder if I even am experiencing
what I’m experiencing. It’s made me think: ‘Am I valid in feeling the
way I’m feeling?’”

A rare injury case

In this type of workers’ compensation case, the claim is the
psychological injury is a mental injury caused by a mentally traumatic
situation.

Workers’ compensation attorney Richard Johnson said these types are the
rarest psychological injury cases. Under Illinois workers’ compensation
law, the injury is compensable if there is a sudden event that would
shock the conscience of a normal person.

Johnson, a partner at Katz Friedman in Chicago, said these cases are
very individual and different from one another, because they are “highly
fact-specific.”

“The burden is on us, the person representing the injured worker, to
develop the facts and develop the medical evidence,” Johnson said. “So
that we show that it’s more probably true than not true, that the
psychological condition from which a person is suffering is causally
related to that incident.”

The burden of proof is a small bar to pass, Johnson said, because the
incident doesn’t have to be the sole cause or even a major cause of the
psychological injury. Johnson has handled cases involving truck drivers,
Chicago Transit Authority employees and first responders — although
there are fewer cases involving first responders, like police and fire
department employees, than he would have expected.

Maliszewski said he didn’t contact a lawyer until after filing for
workers’ compensation because he thought his employer would support him
through the process.

“What I would recommend to anybody, if you’re in a mass shooting as an
employee, is to get an attorney the next day,” he said. “Or have
somebody who wasn’t there, who’s not traumatized, reach out to an
attorney for you immediately. Because what you are likely about to
experience, and your ability to return to that employer, may not be what
you think it is, and you need protection.”

The former employee said he only knows of one other colleague who filed
for workers’ compensation in the wake of the parade shooting.

Johnson said indefinite leave is not protected by the FML statute — any
longer than 12 weeks, and an employee might not have a job.

Permanent disability, partial or total, is one of the three potential
benefits under the Workers’ Compensation Act, also including 100%
payment of all reasonable and necessary medical expenses and two-thirds
of one’s salary at the average weekly pay.

“ (Employees) tend to think it’s less likely for them to be fired
because one of the elements in determining disability is was there an
impairment of your earning capacity,” Johnson said. “Clearly, if you
lose your job, there’s been an impairment of your earning capacity.

chi...@chicagotribune.com

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/highland-park-recreation-director-fired
-while-on-leave-for-parade-shooting-ptsd-i-don-t-want-this-to-ever-happen
-to-anybody-again/ar-BB1gXemG