Seafood City

Max

Sep 9, 2018, 12:30:02 PM9/9/18

Anyone ever go to Seafood City <seafood city chicago>, up on Elston?

It's a Philipino grocery, ala Mitsuwa and H-Mart.   Their meats on a stick are outrageously good and they have some sort of fried chicken place, Jollibee that always has a line.  Food court isn't yuge, but the meat on a stick plce (Grill City) is pretty much all you need. Get the green

Other than that they have a pretty standard Asian food with a Philipino focus.   Lots of fish -- one cool thing is that you can buy your giant fish there -- and they will clean it AND COOK IT FOR YOU! Yesterday they were offering that as a freebee, so there were lots of people flocking around the fish counter.

We went up there yesterday.  We were initially thinking about Mitsuwa, but the expressway times gave me an idea...

I bought a ton of different ramen and the like for worsk.  Gorged myself on meats on a stick.  mmmmmm....

Not nearly as many got kids with kitty ears as there are at Mitsuwa or Hmart. Lots of Navy hats, though!

none Ken Dye

Sep 11, 2018, 6:22:26 PM9/11/18
In article <pn3he8$tnh$1...@ftupet.ftupet.com>, Max <beta...@gmail.com> wrote:
>-=-=-=-=-=-
sounds like a chi.eats opportunity!

--Ken

Max

Sep 12, 2018, 2:40:02 AM9/12/18
Heck yes!! Meat on a stick for everyone!!!

Still trying to recover from the Gyros on a Spit demise...

barbie gee

Sep 17, 2018, 5:30:01 PM9/17/18
I was pretty cynical about something so "easy" as meat on a skewer being
very interesting or good, but man... They know what they're doing. Kinda
sweet teriyaki or something, very tender meat, with a lovely char.

yum.

none Ken Dye

Nov 14, 2018, 3:58:54 PM11/14/18
Microcenter...beore or after?

Geoff Gass

Nov 18, 2018, 11:40:01 AM11/18/18
you know, I feel like every time I walk in there randomly, I'm disappointed.
When TigerDirect was across the street, there was always something interesting
in the clearance rack. Often it was stuff that was impractical to me, but I'd
at least have fun looking. I never seem to get that at MicroCenter.

I think I've always also had a bad taste with them from like 15-20 years ago
when I'd build my own machines and they were the supplier of last resort. I
used to get a lot of stuff from a place in Niles on Waukegan near Golf (by
where Abt was at the time), but they were closed on Sundays. More than once,
something would break on a Saturday night and the option was to get a part at
Microcenter on Sunday, wait for the next Saturday to go to the place in Niles
(because they were only open until 5 on weekdays), or order online and wait for
shipping because this was before amazon prime made everyone give away 2 day
shipping. the answer was usually go to microcenter, often aided and abetted by
a sales flyer showing a decent price. then you'd go and they'd always be out
of the sale item and I'd end up paying way too much for something because I
"couldn't be without my machine all week".

barbie gee

Nov 26, 2018, 10:00:01 PM11/26/18

On Sun, 18 Nov 2018, Geoff Gass wrote:
> you know, I feel like every time I walk in there randomly, I'm disappointed.
> When TigerDirect was across the street, there was always something interesting
> in the clearance rack. Often it was stuff that was impractical to me, but I'd
> at least have fun looking. I never seem to get that at MicroCenter.

Man, I completely forgot about the short-lived TigerDirect store...

MicroCenter is definitely the last resort store. They've re-arranged the
floor, less of some things, more of others, but it always feels a bit
bleak when I go in there. No excitement. I'd rather go to BestBuy and
sit in the Magnolia AV Living Room.

core

Nov 28, 2018, 9:40:02 PM11/28/18
On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 20:58:37 -0600, barbie gee <boo...@nosespam.com>
wrote:
All of a sudden, I'm getting daily email from Tiger Direct. I hadn't
seen anything from them in over a year and had thought they'd
bit the dust.

barbie gee

Nov 30, 2018, 9:40:02 PM11/30/18
that's weird.
It's like Beetlejuice or Bloody Mary.
Where even is there one?

b...@ripco.com

Dec 1, 2018, 8:44:21 AM12/1/18
barbie gee <boo...@nosespam.com> wrote:

> that's weird.
> It's like Beetlejuice or Bloody Mary.
> Where even is there one?

Only in the cloud as far as I know.

Mail order only.

They did some shit a while back, took over what was left of CompUSA and
Circuit City (I think both were in bankrupcy) but trashed the remains as far
as brick and mortar went.

Surprised you "just started" getting email from them, like 15+ years ago or
when it was open on Elston, I bought like a single roll of ethernet cable
and have been getting daily emails all this time.

The black friday that just passed, must of received over a dozen for their
hourly specials.

I know what you guys mean about Microcenter but I'd rather have them around
than not. It's handy just to go there and pick things up rather than the
mail order route. That express pickup is a blessing since you don't have to
duck the floor guys from putting their stickers on something you had to find
yourself.

-bruce
b...@ripco.com

none Ken Dye

Dec 30, 2018, 8:38:54 AM12/30/18
In article <slrnpv358...@ftupet.ftupet.com>,
Geoff Gass <g...@tanzenmb.com> wrote:
>dye@musicserver.(none) (Ken Dye) <dye@musicserver> wrote:

><beta...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Microcenter...beore or after?
>
>you know, I feel like every time I walk in there randomly, I'm disappointed.
>When TigerDirect was across the street, there was always something interesting
>in the clearance rack. Often it was stuff that was impractical to me, but I'd
>at least have fun looking. I never seem to get that at MicroCenter.
>
>I think I've always also had a bad taste with them from like 15-20 years ago
>when I'd build my own machines and they were the supplier of last resort. I
>used to get a lot of stuff from a place in Niles on Waukegan near Golf (by
>where Abt was at the time), but they were closed on Sundays. More than once,

Man, KREX Computers. Used to do the build-my-own and bought from them.
After a while it seemed like they resented having pesky customers bothering
them, perhaps jaded by their mail-order business.

Gone now.

--Ken

Geoff Gass

Jan 2, 2019, 4:40:02 PM1/2/19
that's the one. They were usually good with pickups. ie I usually wasn't
browsing around (it wasn't really much of a showroom anyway). ISTR when I was
going to do something major (new box or gut rehab if the old case/power supply
was still useful), I could order late in the week and pickup on Saturday
with little hassle. they'd throw it all in a box or bag or something and I'd
save on the shipping.

Cydrome Leader

Jan 24, 2019, 11:29:49 PM1/24/19
Ha, krex. Turns out I work with a guy who had a stint at elektek. He
seemed to have models of epson priners still memorized, in 2019.