10 years

sticks

May 27, 2022, 10:14:45 AM5/27/22
Today marks 10 years since the day my brother, known here a Lou, passed
away. If he were alive, I'm sure we would all be heading over to his
place for massive amounts of way too much food. He'd be working the
smoker, the deep fryer, the grill, and Louise would be watching
everything in his kitchen. He'd be working on cans of Old Style as he
went, and the stereo would be blasting some obnoxiously loud music
making talking pointless.
If you asked him if he needed anything, he would say all he needed was
for you to show up and have a good time. When it was over, everyone
would be sent home with a huge assortment of the days eats. He was a
foodie.
RIP my brother!

gregorymorr...@gmail.com

Jun 27, 2022, 9:50:39 AM6/27/22
I miss him, he posted a lot on rec.food.cooking...

--
GM

sticks

Jun 27, 2022, 11:34:30 PM6/27/22
I'm working on a project I decided to undertake in honor of Lou and my
dad. The old man really got a kick out of Lou and his cooking. So the
General, as we used to call pops, had a pig roaster that I remember
using at family things back when I was a kid. It's been in the family
over 60 years I guess. Hasn't been used for a long time, and I found it
stashed in a trailer. I decided to resurrect it. I've gone over all of
it and the original design was very good. I bought a US military Schutt
M116A2 trailer from a government surplus auction up in Sparta and
mounted it to that. Did some work on the trailer to make it more
civilian friendly, and it will be easily portable and create a fun
event. The only thing I'm still working on is converting the spit over
from regular old carbon steel to 316 stainless. I didn't want to take
the chance of anyone getting food poisoning, even though we roasted many
a pig on it back in the day. It was expensive getting all the pieces to
make it work, but in the end it will be a first rate cooker. We'll have
a big get together and probably have to get a keg of old style to have a
toast to the General the his foodie brat. I'll post some pics once I
get it ready to burn. The only problem I see is I'll probably have to
go way up into northern Wisconsin to find a pig all the ass holes around
here don't know. :-)

gregorymorr...@gmail.com

Jun 27, 2022, 11:51:36 PM6/27/22
Sounds fun... I know Lou would love it...

I was shocked when he passed, he was a great and fun presence on rec.food.cooking...

--
GM

sticks

Jul 10, 2022, 11:54:58 AM7/10/22
On 7/10/2022 9:39 AM, Sam wrote:
> sticks wrote:
>
>> We'll have
>> a big get together and probably have to get a keg of old style to have a
>> toast to the General the his foodie brat. I'll post some pics once I
>> get it ready to burn. The only problem I see is I'll probably have to
>> go way up into northern Wisconsin to find a pig all the ass holes around
>> here don't know. :-)
>
> Get in touch with the Illinois Pork Producers, <https://ilpork.com/>.
> They should be able to put you onto a hog farm closer to you than
> northern WI.

<whoosh>

barbie gee

Aug 7, 2022, 1:10:03 PM8/7/22
Ditto. He was a fun presence over there.

barbie gee

Aug 7, 2022, 1:20:02 PM8/7/22
.max still uses Lou's smoker on a regular basis, and we always raise a
glass in his honor. Lou would be impressed with .max's smoked meat
skills. He basically mastered the Gary Wiv methods of "keep it simple",
and it works. Not a lot of fussing with thermometers and fancy smoking
chips or whatever. Yummy smoked meats!
Thank you, sticks!

sticks

Aug 19, 2022, 1:10:23 PM8/19/22
On 8/7/2022 12:12 PM, barbie gee wrote:

> .max still uses Lou's smoker on a regular basis, and we always raise a
> glass in his honor.  Lou would be impressed with .max's smoked meat
> skills.  He basically mastered the Gary Wiv methods of "keep it simple",
> and it works.  Not a lot of fussing with thermometers and fancy smoking
> chips or whatever.  Yummy smoked meats!
> Thank you, sticks!

.max was the perfect man to get lou's smoker. Glad he's using and
enjoying it!