another sub bites the dust

none Ken Dye

Oct 26, 2018, 3:18:13 PM10/26/18
I hear that Hero's (Western/Addison) recently closed. Wish I had know,
would have gone there for a goodbye sub.

--Ken

barbie gee

Oct 26, 2018, 10:20:01 PM10/26/18

On Fri, 26 Oct 2018, none wrote:

> I hear that Hero's (Western/Addison) recently closed. Wish I had know,
> would have gone there for a goodbye sub.

I thought they had closed a long time ago, so each time I drove by I was
surprised to see that they were still there...

Where will all the Lane Tech kids go for lunch now????

Geoff Gass

Oct 27, 2018, 10:40:02 AM10/27/18
hot bar at jewel and marianos

b...@ripco.com

Oct 28, 2018, 6:06:18 AM10/28/18
Geoff Gass <g...@tanzenmb.com> wrote:

>> Where will all the Lane Tech kids go for lunch now????
>
> hot bar at jewel and marianos

I thought the CPS had closed campuses now all over. They either eat in the
building or get shot trying to leave.

I haven't been to hero's too much since leaving clybourn but did a couple
visits. I didn't know they folded either but a quick search shows a DNA
article from last summer, the owners sold out in june 2017, just tired of
it.

That I have to agree with, those two (husband/wife I guess) were there since
I can remember (late 70's). Rare exception not to see one or the other on
duty.

Speculation seems that whoever they sold out to is probably going to use the
land for something else to make a buck, like another over priced 3 flat.

The Marathon gas station at belmont/western/clybourn got torn down, makes
sense since the land owner was the same one that owned the Ripco World
Headquarters lot. I'm sure both lots are reasonably priced being the family
wanted that bridge torn down since I moved in there back in 82.

I also take it that the projects at clybourn/damen is changing into
something else?

-bruce
b...@ripco.com

Geoff Gass

Nov 2, 2018, 5:40:02 PM11/2/18
b...@ripco.com <b...@ripco.com> wrote:
> Geoff Gass <g...@tanzenmb.com> wrote:
>
>>> Where will all the Lane Tech kids go for lunch now????
>>
>> hot bar at jewel and marianos
>
> I thought the CPS had closed campuses now all over. They either eat in the
> building or get shot trying to leave.

nope, Lane is open. I think freshman have to stay for part of the year and the
AC kids (7-8 grade program) have to stay.

> I also take it that the projects at clybourn/damen is changing into
> something else?

they gotta slick website and everything! https://www.lathropchicago.com/

Ts of Og

Nov 6, 2018, 8:45:14 PM11/6/18
On Friday, November 2, 2018 at 4:40:02 PM UTC-5, Geoff Gass wrote:
> b...@ripco.com <b...@ripco.com> wrote:

> >> hot bar at jewel and marianos
> >
> > I thought the CPS had closed campuses now all over. They either eat in the
> > building or get shot trying to leave.
>
> nope, Lane is open. I think freshman have to stay for part of the year and the

Do you still need Clout to get into auto shop at Lane ??

b...@ripco.com

Nov 7, 2018, 6:41:26 AM11/7/18
Ts of Og <jgro...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Do you still need Clout to get into auto shop at Lane ??

I could be completely wrong but I think most if not all of the shop classes
are gone.

Reason I say that, a friend of my son is/was a music teacher over there and
mentioned that several years ago.

I mean think about, print shop and auto, what is the point anymore?

It's not even a high school anymore, "College Prep" is the new term. Not
sure having grade in drafting, auto and print is worth anything. Is
electronics still a thing?

Just need to know what button to push and when to click the mouse.

-bruce
b...@ripco.com

Ts of Og

Nov 7, 2018, 7:17:53 PM11/7/18
On Wednesday, November 7, 2018 at 5:41:26 AM UTC-6, b...@ripco.com wrote:
> Ts of Og <jgro...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Do you still need Clout to get into auto shop at Lane ??
>
> I could be completely wrong but I think most if not all of the shop classes
> are gone.
>
> Reason I say that, a friend of my son is/was a music teacher over there and
> mentioned that several years ago.
>
> I mean think about, print shop and auto, what is the point anymore?
>
> It's not even a high school anymore, "College Prep" is the new term. Not
> sure having grade in drafting, auto and print is worth anything. Is
> electronics still a thing?

Electronics is still useful for around the house repairs, as is wood shop. Having 15 year olds blasting acetylene and arc welding torches was insane, but someone's cousin got a cushy shop teachers post. Even the Gordon Goats are gone, now DePaul Prep.

Geoff Gass

Nov 9, 2018, 9:20:02 AM11/9/18
I think I was 13

jamie

Nov 9, 2018, 6:40:01 PM11/9/18
In article <slrnpub5n...@ftupet.ftupet.com>,
Geoff Gass <g...@tanzenmb.com> wrote:
>Ts of Og <jgro...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> I could be completely wrong but I think most if not all of the shop classes
>>> are gone.
>>>
>>> Reason I say that, a friend of my son is/was a music teacher over there and
>>> mentioned that several years ago.
>>>
>>> I mean think about, print shop and auto, what is the point anymore?
>>>
>>> It's not even a high school anymore, "College Prep" is the new term. Not
>>> sure having grade in drafting, auto and print is worth anything. Is
>>> electronics still a thing?
>>
>> Electronics is still useful for around the house repairs, as is wood
>shop. Having 15 year olds blasting acetylene and arc welding torches was
>insane, but someone's cousin got a cushy shop teachers post. Even the
>Gordon Goats are gone, now DePaul Prep.
>
>I think I was 13

Stop bragging, Mr. Precocious.

Jamie

Ts of Og

Nov 11, 2018, 2:57:38 PM11/11/18
It costs $12K per year to be a Goat now, saving that by going public pays for a good chunk of college

Geoff Gass

Nov 18, 2018, 11:30:02 AM11/18/18
b...@ripco.com <b...@ripco.com> wrote:
> Ts of Og <jgro...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Do you still need Clout to get into auto shop at Lane ??
>
> I could be completely wrong but I think most if not all of the shop classes
> are gone.
>
> Reason I say that, a friend of my son is/was a music teacher over there and
> mentioned that several years ago.

I have a friend teaching there now, he sez auto shop is now the guitar studio

Geoff Gass

Nov 18, 2018, 11:30:02 AM11/18/18
nothing precocious about it, was the norm in those parts, we got metal shop in
8th grade and were fucking around with arc welders and acetylene torches and
casting shit. I have no clue how there weren't serious injuries letting 13 and
14 year olds do that.

Ts of Og

Nov 19, 2018, 9:11:16 PM11/19/18
So you need Clout to get guitar lessons now. I bet the old foundary and welding shops are app coding studios.

barbie gee

Nov 26, 2018, 10:10:02 PM11/26/18
I'm sorry for this generation. We absolutely need trade schools.
Remember when Prosser and Lane were both "technical" high schools?

I was listening to an interesting finance program, where they mentioned
how a low unemployment rate isn't exactly what we want. If we begin to
have more vacancies than qualified people to fill those positions,
business will begin feeling the pain. There are still semi-professional
positions that need to be filled, and we have tons of non-skilled folks
out there who need jobs (and JOB training).

Gregory Morrow

Nov 27, 2018, 8:49:19 AM11/27/18
Yup...EXACTLY...

This is now where I work, barb...we train folks to obtain skilled manufacturing jobs...most are younger (some are 18/19), but we have many that are entering a "second career" phase. There are well over 20K unfilled manufacturing jobs in teh state of IL alone...yesterday S&C Electric called us, "We need FORTY welders ASAP!":

https://www.jane-addams.org/

The first nine months of the year we placed 60 peeps in positions with an average starting wage of $16.30, many of our folks are making around $50K after their first year. The goal of our program is to get working peeps into the financial middle class, e.g. asset - building...and we do!

--
Best
Greg

Ts of Og

Nov 29, 2018, 7:42:25 PM11/29/18
On Monday, November 26, 2018 at 9:10:02 PM UTC-6, barbie gee wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Nov 2018, b...@ripco.com wrote:
>
> > Ts of Og <jgro...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Do you still need Clout to get into auto shop at Lane ??
> >
> > I could be completely wrong but I think most if not all of the shop classes
> > are gone.
> >
> > Reason I say that, a friend of my son is/was a music teacher over there and
> > mentioned that several years ago.
> >
> > I mean think about, print shop and auto, what is the point anymore?
> >
> > It's not even a high school anymore, "College Prep" is the new term. Not
> > sure having grade in drafting, auto and print is worth anything. Is
> > electronics still a thing?
> >
> > Just need to know what button to push and when to click the mouse.
>
> I'm sorry for this generation. We absolutely need trade schools.
> Remember when Prosser and Lane were both "technical" high schools?

I'm terrified having to depend on this generation for any kind of skilled service or technical work. Best to learn how to do your own repairs and medical diagnosis.

core

Nov 30, 2018, 11:50:02 PM11/30/18
On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 16:42:24 -0800 (PST), Ts of Og
<jgro...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Monday, November 26, 2018 at 9:10:02 PM UTC-6, barbie gee wrote:

>> > I could be completely wrong but I think most if not all of the shop classes
>> > are gone.
>> >
>> > Reason I say that, a friend of my son is/was a music teacher over there and
>> > mentioned that several years ago.
>> >
>> > I mean think about, print shop and auto, what is the point anymore?
>> >
>> > It's not even a high school anymore, "College Prep" is the new term. Not
>> > sure having grade in drafting, auto and print is worth anything. Is
>> > electronics still a thing?
>> >
>> > Just need to know what button to push and when to click the mouse.
>>
>> I'm sorry for this generation. We absolutely need trade schools.
>> Remember when Prosser and Lane were both "technical" high schools?
>
>I'm terrified having to depend on this generation for any kind of skilled service or technical work. Best to learn how to do your own repairs and medical diagnosis.

Quest Diagnostics will let anybody order tests from their labs. You
don't need for a doctor to order them now. DIY diagnostics.

Ts of Og

Dec 1, 2018, 4:27:03 PM12/1/18
But Insurance will pay for doctor ordered tests, Dr. Ts of Og pays retail Quest rate.

barbie gee

Dec 1, 2018, 10:50:02 PM12/1/18
OH! That's good! Then I don't have a doc bugging me that I need to lose
weight, or lower my sodium intake, I can just decide if I want to do that
stuff on my own!

Cydrome Leader

Jan 15, 2019, 6:53:45 PM1/15/19
Ts of Og <jgro...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, November 18, 2018 at 10:30:02 AM UTC-6, Geoff Gass wrote:
>> b...@ripco.com <b...@ripco.com> wrote:

>> > I could be completely wrong but I think most if not all of the shop classes
>> > are gone.
>> >
>> > Reason I say that, a friend of my son is/was a music teacher over there and
>> > mentioned that several years ago.
>>
>> I have a friend teaching there now, he sez auto shop is now the guitar studio
>
> So you need Clout to get guitar lessons now. I bet the old foundary and welding shops are app coding studios.

I hate to pull a Nelson, but yeah, it's all gone. Lane dropped the "tech"
from the name like a decade ago. It's a safe zone in there now or
something with anything sharp removed.

Those kid can't even tie shoelaces anymore.

barbie gee

Feb 8, 2019, 11:40:01 PM2/8/19

On Tue, 15 Jan 2019, Cydrome Leader wrote:

> Ts of Og <jgro...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> I have a friend teaching there now, he sez auto shop is now the guitar studio
>>
>> So you need Clout to get guitar lessons now. I bet the old foundary and welding shops are app coding studios.
>
> I hate to pull a Nelson, but yeah, it's all gone. Lane dropped the "tech"
> from the name like a decade ago. It's a safe zone in there now or
> something with anything sharp removed.
>
> Those kid can't even tie shoelaces anymore.

we're so doomed...