Johnnie's in Elmwood Park

HUey

Apr 27, 2010, 8:47:57 PM4/27/10
I forgot to mention that i had an italian beef there for the first time
a couple of weeks ago. fucking outstanding! stopped in today for an
italian ice. just as fucking outstanding. max and brabs, next time
you're driving in/out from st. chucks/chicago i recommend you take the
long route and stop in for a beef, sausage or combo and an italian ice.
very tasty.

--
HUey

max

Apr 27, 2010, 8:50:28 PM4/27/10
In article <MPG.264141ba2...@news.ftupet.com>,
HUey <hue...@gmail.com> wrote:

tyft!

Message has been deleted

spamtrap1888

Apr 27, 2010, 11:22:52 PM4/27/10
On Apr 27, 7:39 pm, barbie gee <boo...@nosespam.com> wrote:
> where the hell is Elmwood Park?

The place Chicagoans drive through on their way to Gene and Jude's.

There used to be a good gelato place on North near johnnie's.

kenji

Apr 27, 2010, 11:32:54 PM4/27/10
In article <Pine.LNX.4.64.10...@sghcrg.sghcrg.pbz>,
barbie gee <boo...@nosespam.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Apr 2010, HUey wrote:
>

> where the hell is Elmwood Park?

you've never spent much time with real chicago italians, I take it. Not
one greaseball old boyfriend?

sheesh.

Take diversey to past Harlem, look around at who's hanging around
there...go back the last 35 years and imagine the heritage.

did you only hang out with other polacks or other white trash and shit
that you don't know elmwood or melrose?

How many men with mullets in your history?
--
BTW, this was posted from my iPad, bitch.

From: Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com>

kenji

Apr 27, 2010, 11:36:49 PM4/27/10
In article
<c5c16875-788f-4187...@34g2000prs.googlegroups.com>,
spamtrap1888 <spamtr...@gmail.com> wrote:

I don't. I go thru Park Ridge, Rosemont and Schiller. Sometimes I go
harwood hieghts, then Norridge then Schiller Park to get htere

Elmwood Park is farther south.

Message has been deleted

HUey

Apr 28, 2010, 8:38:03 AM4/28/10
In article <Pine.LNX.4.64.10...@sghcrg.sghcrg.pbz>,
boo...@nosespam.com says...

> On Tue, 27 Apr 2010, HUey wrote:
>
> where the hell is Elmwood Park?

i didn't know you were so sheltered...google it

--
HUey

HUey

Apr 28, 2010, 8:37:32 AM4/28/10
In article <c5c16875-788f-4187-9492-28be4fca19c1@
34g2000prs.googlegroups.com>, spamtr...@gmail.com says...

i have never tried gene and jude's (which is off of Grand not North),
but Jimmy's on Grand and Pulaski is my favorite hotdog joint.

--
HUey

spamtrap1888

Apr 28, 2010, 10:39:03 AM4/28/10
On Apr 28, 5:37 am, HUey <hue...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In article <c5c16875-788f-4187-9492-28be4fca19c1@
> 34g2000prs.googlegroups.com>, spamtrap1...@gmail.com says...

> > > where the hell is Elmwood Park?
>
> > The place Chicagoans drive through on their way to Gene and Jude's.
>
> > There used to be a good gelato place on North near johnnie's.
>
> i have never tried gene and jude's (which is off of Grand not North),
> but Jimmy's on Grand and Pulaski is my favorite hotdog joint.

North is the southern border of EP.

spamtrap1888

Apr 28, 2010, 10:41:31 AM4/28/10
On Apr 27, 8:36 pm, kenji <ke...@ripco.com> wrote:
> In article
> <c5c16875-788f-4187-9492-28be4fca1...@34g2000prs.googlegroups.com>,

>  spamtrap1888 <spamtrap1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > where the hell is Elmwood Park?
>
> > The place Chicagoans drive through on their way to Gene and Jude's.
>
> > There used to be a good gelato place on North near johnnie's.
>
> I don't. I go thru Park Ridge, Rosemont and Schiller. Sometimes I go
> harwood hieghts, then Norridge then Schiller Park to get htere

So you're saying you live in Niles?

That's not Chicago.

> Elmwood Park is farther south.

I remember all the jewelry stores and bridal boutiques on Harlem.
Apparently italians like to get married a lot. Plus the jewelers
advertised 17 kt gold or 19 kt. gold or something like that: 14kt was
not good enough.

Message has been deleted

Cuthbert Thistlethwaite

Apr 28, 2010, 7:58:31 PM4/28/10

spamtrap1888 wrote:

> > where the hell is Elmwood Park?

> The place Chicagoans drive through on their way to Gene and Jude's.

I haven't been at G and J for so many years I can't remember. But FWIW,
my chef friend took his kids to Gene and Judes a few week ends ago. (My
friend is always looking for the next great business idea, involving
simpel good food, and I am with him on this. Plus he loves dogs and
sausages.) The kids hated it. "Eew," they said, "why did we come
here? We could have gone to the Wieners' Circle!"

Cuthbert Thistlethwaite

Apr 28, 2010, 8:00:52 PM4/28/10

HUey wrote:

> i have never tried gene and jude's (which is off of Grand not North),
> but Jimmy's on Grand and Pulaski is my favorite hotdog joint.

That place is OK too. A flock of sea gulls seems to have discovered it
and it's fun to feed them extra fries in the parking lot.

Cuthbert Thistlethwaite

Apr 28, 2010, 8:04:08 PM4/28/10

Great old place. I've loved it since the 50s.

HUey

Apr 28, 2010, 8:37:04 PM4/28/10
In article <4BD8CC34...@myface.net>, nosil...@myface.net says...

jimmy's has great dogs and fries...

--
HUey

Cuthbert Thistlethwaite

Apr 28, 2010, 9:19:23 PM4/28/10

HUey wrote:

> i have never tried gene and jude's (which is off of Grand not North),
> but Jimmy's on Grand and Pulaski is my favorite hotdog joint.

> jimmy's has great dogs and fries...

Check out Felony Frank's, at Jackson and Kedzie, too. Picnic tables
under trees, yet, by where you park.

Mike

Apr 29, 2010, 1:25:23 AM4/29/10
In article <4BD8CBA7...@myface.net>,
Cuthbert Thistlethwaite <nosil...@myface.net> wrote:

Parky's for Hot Dogs and Italian beef/sausage...

Geoff Gass

Apr 29, 2010, 8:10:19 AM4/29/10

HUey

Apr 29, 2010, 8:59:28 AM4/29/10
In article <mike-AA4CE4.0...@news.newsguy.com>,
mi...@nonnfaba.invalid says...

location?

--
HUey

Eric

Apr 29, 2010, 12:55:48 PM4/29/10
HUey <hue...@gmail.com> wrote in

Harlem, just north of Madison, in Forest Park.

I ate there last fall. The Hot Dogs are just awful. They're known for the
fries, fried in beef tallow. I picked up lunch and drove back to the
office, 20 minutes away. Everything was soaked from the grease. My car
seats, the paperwork sitting next to the bag... really greasy. The hot dogs
were oscar mayer, just blah.

--
BTW, this was posted from my PC, bitch.
Running Windows XP

HUey

Apr 29, 2010, 1:02:37 PM4/29/10
In article <Xns9D6979...@66.246.138.5>, eric...@gmail.com
says...

thanks for the heads up, eric.

--
HUey

John Rappe

Apr 29, 2010, 1:52:46 PM4/29/10

presentation unclicked

Cydrome Leader

Apr 29, 2010, 2:55:13 PM4/29/10

they must suck pretty hard if wieners circle is considered better.

spamtrap1888

Apr 29, 2010, 4:53:23 PM4/29/10
On Apr 29, 9:55 am, Eric <ericw2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> HUey <hue...@gmail.com> wrote innews:MPG.26433eaa3...@news.ftupet.com:
>

> > In article <mike-AA4CE4.00252329042...@news.newsguy.com>,
> > m...@nonnfaba.invalid says...

> >> Parky's for Hot Dogs and Italian beef/sausage...
>
> > location?
>
> Harlem, just north of Madison, in Forest Park.
>
> I ate there last fall. The Hot Dogs are just awful. They're known for the
> fries, fried in beef tallow. I picked up lunch and drove back to the
> office, 20 minutes away. Everything was soaked from the grease. My car
> seats, the paperwork sitting next to the bag... really greasy. The hot dogs
> were oscar mayer, just blah.

Obviously, taking them back was a tactical mistake. Try picking up
some real croissants some time. But it reminds me of when Wendy's
first opened in Downers Grave (Woodridge, whatever). We took our
burgers back to work. Some of the "juice" dripped on my desk, and
formed a little disc of congealed beef fat.

Eric

Apr 29, 2010, 5:19:34 PM4/29/10
spamtrap1888 <spamtr...@gmail.com> wrote in

Don't get me wrong, the fries were good. The grease was nothing short of
amazing, however. It wasn't just a little juice, it was a paper bag full
of greasy fries that soaked everything. I'd go back for the fries, but
nothing else.

Cuthbert Thistlethwaite

Apr 29, 2010, 7:19:09 PM4/29/10

Cydrome Leader wrote:

> > I haven't been at G and J for so many years I can't remember. But FWIW,
> > my chef friend took his kids to Gene and Judes a few week ends ago. (My
> > friend is always looking for the next great business idea, involving
> > simpel good food, and I am with him on this. Plus he loves dogs and
> > sausages.) The kids hated it. "Eew," they said, "why did we come
> > here? We could have gone to the Wieners' Circle!"

> they must suck pretty hard if wieners circle is considered better.

I can't explain how 11 and 12 year old sisters think, with any sort of
confidence.

Their chef father told me the line was out the door, and he is trying to
figure out why. I DO understand his thinking.

Cydrome Leader

Apr 29, 2010, 8:32:38 PM4/29/10
Cuthbert Thistlethwaite <nosil...@myface.net> wrote:

> Cydrome Leader wrote:
>
>> > I haven't been at G and J for so many years I can't remember. But FWIW,
>> > my chef friend took his kids to Gene and Judes a few week ends ago. (My
>> > friend is always looking for the next great business idea, involving
>> > simpel good food, and I am with him on this. Plus he loves dogs and
>> > sausages.) The kids hated it. "Eew," they said, "why did we come
>> > here? We could have gone to the Wieners' Circle!"
>
>> they must suck pretty hard if wieners circle is considered better.
>
> I can't explain how 11 and 12 year old sisters think, with any sort of
> confidence.

good point.

> Their chef father told me the line was out the door, and he is trying to
> figure out why. I DO understand his thinking.

At weiners circle you are in and out in minutes with those nasty unwashed
fries that taste just like the oily bag they come in.

the rest of the food though is ok though. It's really hard to screw up a
polish, at least in the city.

dye

Apr 30, 2010, 10:10:20 AM4/30/10
In article <MPG.264290a79...@news.ftupet.com>,

Fries cooked in lard....yum.

I threw a few LJS malt vinegar packets into the glovebox, and found
it adds quite a nice bite to gene and jude's fries.

--Ken
--
Ken R. Dye an optimist is a guy |
Chicago, Illinois that has never had |

HUey

Apr 30, 2010, 10:27:44 AM4/30/10
In article <hreocc$fls$1...@news.eternal-september.org>, dye@adsl-64-108-
194-98.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net says...

> In article <MPG.264290a79...@news.ftupet.com>,
> HUey <hue...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> That place is OK too. A flock of sea gulls seems to have discovered it
> >> and it's fun to feed them extra fries in the parking lot.
> >
> >jimmy's has great dogs and fries...
>
> Fries cooked in lard....yum.
>
> I threw a few LJS malt vinegar packets into the glovebox, and found
> it adds quite a nice bite to gene and jude's fries.

malt vinegar and fries are great together. i regret that nobody in my
family ever introduced me to that when i was young...

--
HUey

Message has been deleted

Ron T.

Apr 30, 2010, 10:58:15 AM4/30/10

"Eric" <eric...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Professinal tip, Eric.

If you let the grease soaked papers air out for a couple of days, it takes
on a "papyrus" look.

It impresses people. Just make sure the smell has aired out.

<Judge rubbing thumb and index finger across motion for continuance> "Nice,
Ron...your office win the big one? Getting new business cards with 18kt
engraved lettering like the fucking Prtizkers?"

<Ron....one eye closed, trying to focus> "You're top on the guest list, your
honor."

HUey

Apr 30, 2010, 11:06:01 AM4/30/10
In article <kenji-8D3C0F....@news.ripco.com>, ke...@ripco.com
says...

> In article <MPG.2644a4dc1...@news.ftupet.com>,
> HUey <hue...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > my
> > family
>
> JOE DIRT!

ha

--
HUey

Larry

Apr 30, 2010, 8:34:29 PM4/30/10
dye wrote:
> In article<MPG.264290a79...@news.ftupet.com>,
> HUey<hue...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> That place is OK too. A flock of sea gulls seems to have discovered it
>>> and it's fun to feed them extra fries in the parking lot.
>>>
>> jimmy's has great dogs and fries...
>>
> Fries cooked in lard....yum.
>
> I threw a few LJS malt vinegar packets into the glovebox, and found
> it adds quite a nice bite to gene and jude's fries.
>
> --Ken

Mmmmmm....Gene and Judes....

Larry - In FL (Now)

Mike

May 5, 2010, 2:19:06 AM5/5/10
In article <Xns9D6979...@66.246.138.5>,
Eric <eric...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hot dogs are from Vienna?

Mike

May 5, 2010, 2:20:10 AM5/5/10
In article <Xns9D69A6...@66.246.138.5>,
Eric <eric...@gmail.com> wrote:

Did you ever stop to think that the paper bag was there to get rid of
the grease?

Eric

May 6, 2010, 11:35:10 AM5/6/10
Mike <mi...@nonnfaba.invalid> wrote in

What's your point? The grease soaked through the bag and got everything
around it greasy. Should I be happy about that? If you ride in my car and
crap yourself, should I feel blessed?

Eric

May 6, 2010, 11:33:40 AM5/6/10
Mike <mi...@nonnfaba.invalid> wrote in

The hot dog I had was more Ballpark/Oscar Mayer than Vienna. Maybe they
ran out that day, but it wasn't very good. When I expressed my
disappointment here, lots of folks agreed.

I always heard Parky's was a legend. I was disappointed.

Lou Decruss

May 8, 2010, 11:35:53 AM5/8/10

There's lots of things I didn't know about until I left the nest.
Some I might not have liked anyway. I was well into my 30's before I
knew about malt vinegar and thought it smelled so bad I didn't even
want to be a table when someone was using it. I love it now.

Another food item I didn't know about was avocado. I discovered them
when I was about 20. My mother and both grandmothers had limited
menus and over cooked damn near everything. I didn't like chicken or
pork until I left the nest and learned they didn't have to be dried
out shoe leather.

Lou

JG Rove

Oct 2, 2023, 4:45:48 PM10/2/23
On Tuesday, April 27, 2010 at 7:47:57 PM UTC-5, HUey wrote:
> I forgot to mention that i had an italian beef there for the first time
> a couple of weeks ago. fucking outstanding! stopped in today for an
> italian ice. just as fucking outstanding. max and brabs, next time
> you're driving in/out from st. chucks/chicago i recommend you take the
> long route and stop in for a beef, sausage or combo and an italian ice.
> very tasty.
>
> --
> HUey

The beefs $7.13 now with tax. Still cash only. 10 blocks from mehtra.

none Ken

Jan 5, 2024, 11:27:05 AMJan 5
In article <e7a378c6-e516-465e...@googlegroups.com>,
I wonder what HUey paid in 2010! The cash was worth a bit more then, though!

--Ken