Official strand-pulling association

Gery

Mar 17, 2009, 2:50:42 PM3/17/09
to exercise - chest expander exercises
Hi,

Does anyone know about any official strand-pulling organization? Do
they still organize strand-pulling competitions?

Please let me know if you have any info on this.

Appreciate your reply,
Gergely

Vegan Bodybuilding

Mar 18, 2009, 5:46:21 AM3/18/09
to chest-expand...@googlegroups.com
This is the only one I know about

> International Steel Strandpulling Assoc.
> C/O Jim Bartlett
> 88 Schofield Street
> Hathershaw, Oldham OL8 1QT

they seem to hold only contest per year in the north of England.

Pete

Kevin Wikse

Mar 18, 2009, 11:57:17 PM3/18/09
to chest-expand...@googlegroups.com
Why not create an American version?

Vegan Bodybuilding

Mar 19, 2009, 6:45:56 AM3/19/09
to chest-expand...@googlegroups.com
Well,
I'm in the UK, but I don't see why there shouldn't be somewhere in the
US that does hold contests. Either another group or maybe a US
chapter of the same organisation? The main issue would be the name,
obviously ISSA is the 'International Sports Sciences Association' (I
should know as I'm one of their few UK trainers :-), so maybe it'd
have to be a new named group, or something like ISSA-US or similar?
I find it hard to believe that in the whole of the US there's not one
strand pulling organisation. Maybe contacting a few of the strand
manufacturers & seeing if they know of any groups?

Pete

Gergely Kéki

Mar 20, 2009, 4:51:04 PM3/20/09
to chest-expand...@googlegroups.com
Man, I gotta pull together a group in Hungary too and then we're going to run by the name of MHSA (Mighty Hungarian Strandpullers Association) :D
No, seriously this form of training seems to be flourishing again, so it would be a pretty good idea to extend ISSA to other countries.

By the way Pete, can you give a little insight on how a competition goes ? Have you ever participated in one?

Gery

Vegan Bodybuilding

Mar 20, 2009, 6:21:03 PM3/20/09
to chest-expand...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gery,
I've not gone to a strand pulling contest. Last year the main
contests I went to (that I wasn't running) were bodybuilding events as
I was assisting &/or supporting a guy I know who competes. To be
honest the strand pulling events look like pretty small & informal.
When I first joined I thought they'd be more formal & organised. I'd
say that the first people to put together a decent federation will
probably be able to export it worldwide as strand pulling is something
most strength trainees do, but have nothing to focus on. Getting
something as simple as a dedicated federation website, with youtube
videos of the pulls & written rules for each lift & a contest line-up,
also an easily copied template that people in other countries who want
to affiliate to can copy, so you can go for national contests to real
international contests pretty quickly would stimulate real contests.
Also getting standardised equipment from a set manufacturer (like, for
example ironmind) & using that as the official contest set. Also
learning how to set up a set of strands to balance different arm
'wingspans' , so longer armed competitors use longer handles & shorter
armed competitors use shorter handles, so everyone pulls to the same
tension would be something to consider for any federation or it'd be
the short armed guys who'd win every time (you would not need to use
this rule, but it's a thought). Something with the internet being so
fast these days is also, informal international events via the
internet. You can get people to put in videos of their pulls & have
judges give them white or red lights for the pull & the winner gets
something small like a t-shirt or a small trophy to start with (while
you start to dig up sponsorship). That'd generate some interest in
contests between nations, or stronger lads that otherwise couldn't
meet face to face.
1001 ways you could generate interest with little or no real cash
input, just time & effort. if I had the time I might even do it
myself :-)
Anyway I've gone on long enough I'm helping run a health fayre this
weekend so need to get some sleep as tomorrow is going to be madness!
Speak later,

Pete