Spring set shrug

Vegan Bodybuilding

Feb 24, 2007, 11:12:14 AM2/24/07
to chest-expander group
I've just got a custom-made shrug bar delivered yesterday & decided to dig
out my old Kelso shrug system & Kelso shrug book as they had sections
devoted to the trap bar (trap bars & shrug bars are pretty much the same
here's a picture if you don't know what one looks like
http://www.gymequipment.uk.com/store/item/15as7/Special_Bars/Standard_Shrug_
Bar.html ).
Anyway, flicking through the shrug book I stumbled across a form of 'shrug'
using strands. Put the strands behind your back, now push out so the arms
straighten out to the sides. Once the arms are fully spread, do a lat
spread, pushing your scapula outwards, then retract your scapula so they
come together in the middle of your back. Do this keeping your arms
straight. Repeat for the required number of reps.
You are doing a lat spread with positive & negative resistance.
You could do a set after you've completed your final rep using full range,
or separately it's up to you?
They are good for bench pressers wanting to improve their lateral arch in
contest, or just to increase overall scapula control, strength & stability
over the entire lateral range of scapula motion.
Anyway thought there might be some interest as I've not come across this in
any training guide to strand use.
All the best,

Pete www.veganbodybuilding.org

13:26