back injury

Britt

Dec 28, 2011, 12:21:39 PM12/28/11
to exercise - chest expander exercises
the lower two vertabrae of my back are pinching a nerve which controls
the upper right leg and lower back muscles, so i have started doing
more strands for my workouts. i did go to the chiropractor and now i
know which exercises i can and cannot do with weights. if anyone is
interested i will post which exercises are ok to do with a lower back
injury. i can post both free weight exercises and strand exercises. i
also ordered some 24 and 12 pound Sampson expander cables which will
arrive this week. my lighter cables had all broken and all i have now
are the 40 pounders.

Vegan Bodybuilding

Dec 28, 2011, 3:28:56 PM12/28/11
to chest-expand...@googlegroups.com
Hi Britt,
I'd be interested.  I hurt my back early in 2011, that & an internal rotator issue in my shoulder made it about my worst training year I've had.  In 2012 I'm looking towards hitting 2.5 x BW on the dead & squat as my major goals.  Although I've not really found a way to work the internal rotators with strands (I use minibands for direct work of those), I do use strands as a method of strengthening the external rotators (I've injured both doing static trapeze when I was a younger guy - yes doing STUPID trapeze stuff when I was younger & invincible).  For lower back I started off using variations of Stuart McGills stuff on core strenghtening (I hate that word 'core' by the way), so planks, side planks, shoulder bridges, then progressed to harder versions, once I was back to ok condition I started to include dynamic stability stuff like Turkish get-up (with a kettlebell, but you could use a dumbbell or even barbell if you fancied it) & a few other moves.  You can use strands or bands for stuff like good mornings the increased acceleration you have to overcome on the eccentric makes it a useful exercise, to make the movement harder without the extreme stress of weights until your back is ready.
Anyway, enough about my stuff, let's hear your training, it's great to have you onboard!

Pete

Britt

Jan 1, 2012, 2:32:41 AM1/1/12
to exercise - chest expander exercises
currently, I am not doing any exercises that compress the spine
because of the injury I have. I have switched to more reps and lighter
weights and have added strands back into the workouts. for the legs I
do DB lunges, single leg - leg curls with the chest expander, and
single leg DB calf raises. my chest workout is not really changed
except for adding some chest expander exercises at the end. no
deadlifts or squats. Actually you can follow it I'd you want at
www.homefitness101.com/forum/index under Britt's journal in the
workout journals if you want. for the shoulders I do front raises with
a staggered stance with DB's the chiropractor suggested this. there
are more details in the journal.

On Dec 28 2011, 2:28 pm, Vegan Bodybuilding
> Hi Britt,I
> I'd be interested.  I hurt my back early in 2011, that & an internal
> rotator issue in my shoulder made it about my worst training year I've
> had.  In 2012 I'm looking towards hitting 2.5 x BW on the dead & squat as
> my major goals.  Although I've not really found a way to work the internal
> rotators with strands (I use minibands for direct work of those), I do use
> strands as a method of strengthening the external rotators (I've injured
> both doing static trapeze when I was a younger guy - yes doing STUPID
> trapeze stuff when I was younger & invincible).  For lower back I started
> off using variations of Stuart McGills stuff on core strenghtening (I hate
> that word 'core' by the way), so planks, side planks, shoulder bridges,
> then progressed to harder versions, once I was back to ok condition I
> started to include dynamic stability stuff like Turkish get-up (with a
> kettlebell, but you could use a dumbbell or even barbell if you fancied it)
> & a few other moves.  You can use strands or bands for stuff like good
> mornings the increased acceleration you have to overcome on the eccentric
> makes it a useful exercise, to make the movement harder without the extreme
> stress of weights until your back is ready.
> Anyway, enough about my stuff, let's hear your training, it's great to have
> you onboard!
>
> Pete

Britt

Jan 1, 2012, 2:36:34 PM1/1/12
to exercise - chest expander exercises
I've added the chest expander front pull exercise to my routine for
the rear delts. instead of barbell bent over rows I do DB rows. chin
ups and expander overhead pull down knuckles in for the lats.