Kent Narrows Bridge?

Steve Blakely

May 17, 2011, 10:31:23 AM5/17/11
to chesapeake-...@googlegroups.com
I may be going through there in a few weeks, and have not been able to find a reliable statement of the current opening times of the bascule bridge. It appears to be hourly and half-hourly, on demand. Does anyone know if that's still correct?

Also, per the earlier email, today's update (May 17) of the USCG LNM reports shoaling again at the north channel:

Ø  SUBJ: SAFETY BROADCAST NOTICE TO MARINERS

BAL BNM 228-11

MD-CHESAPEAKE BAY-CHESTER RIVER-KENT ISLAND NARROWS NORTH APPROACH-SHOALING

1. HAZARD TO NAVIGATION - THERE HAS BEEN A REPORT OF SHOALING AT THE KENT ISLAND NARROWS NORTH APPROACH, LOCATED IN THE CENTER OF THE CHANNEL IN THE VICINITY OF KENT ISLAND NARROWS NORTH APPROACH LT 3 (LLNR 26420). DEPTH OF WATER IS 3 FT OR LESS AT MLLW.

Our plan is to transit southward from Rock Hall on Sat. June, 11, but the LNM also reports there will be a poker run with ~60 ciggie boats heading north from Kent Island that morning and returning in the afternoon. This may be enough for us to change plans and stay the hell away from that area, as "Thunder on the Bay" is an apt description of those events. Not sure I understand the "fun" of burning $5 a gallon gas at -- what, 10 gals/hr? -- but I guess it keeps the oil companies flush.

-- sb
Steve Blakely
IP 26, Bearboat
Galesville, MD
blak...@gmail.com
Travel clips: https://bearboat.wordpress.com/
Photos: https://sblakelyphotos.wordpress.com/

Della Barba, Joe

May 17, 2011, 10:51:36 AM5/17/11
to chesapeake-...@googlegroups.com

10 gal/hr?

ROFLMAO!

Try 20 or 30 – PER ENGINE!

I used to run a Hatteras with twin Chrysler 440s and it was like dumping gas overboard with a bucket.

My old 120 HP powerboat ran through 5-6 gal/hr.

Joe Della Barba

Steve Blakely

May 17, 2011, 11:22:24 AM5/17/11
to chesapeake-...@googlegroups.com
Never had the pleasure, meself, so it was a WAG.

What about the bridge schedule?

Della Barba, Joe

May 17, 2011, 11:33:22 AM5/17/11
to chesapeake-...@googlegroups.com

I am not sure if they are on summer schedule yet. When they are, it is every 30 minutes. They stop around sunset, I have gotten trapped for the night on the wrong side L

If you are new to the Narrows, WATCH THE CURRENT. It can get pretty strong and boats headed down-current have right of way at the bridge.

I would stay away from the Poker Run myself. Those boats give me a headache. The guy next to me in my marina has one with twin 502s and I swear his gas bill has to be higher than my mortgage!

Joe Della Barba

Coquina

Steve Blakely

May 17, 2011, 11:54:30 AM5/17/11
to chesapeake-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks.

Guy next to me with a Carver was bitching about how a weekend trip to St. Michaels and back is $300+ just for gas. I made him fell better by saying I typically use ~15 gallons of diesel all season. The benefits of sail......

--sb

Brian Wheeler

May 26, 2011, 10:47:43 AM5/26/11
to chesapeake-...@googlegroups.com
We're headed to St. Mikes this weekend, and probably will take the Bloody Point route.  That is, unless someone has successfully gone through Kent Narrows this season...

Our design draw is 5'3", but last year, during our last sail in November we ran aground around G3 on the north side, and had to be pulled off.  The tide was falling and the wind was blowing the water away, but it was the first time this had happened to us (at this location anyway) and it certainly wouldn't get any better over the winter.  The only consolation was that there were three other boats in the same predicament, including one that was definitely going to have to spend some time waiting for high tide...he was listing, and showing bottom and rudder when we left.

_________________
Brian Wheeler
wheelerwbrian at yahoo dot com
Magothy River
Chesapeake Bay
1988 Ericson 38-200
S/Y Palmetto Blues

May 26, 2011, 11:26:43 AM5/26/11
to chesapeake-...@googlegroups.com
I haven't been through so no advice. On the other hand tides are above normal with all this south wind.

http://tidesonline.nos.noaa.gov/plotcomp.shtml?station_info=8573364+Tolchester+Beach,+MD

Have a great trip.

Mary Lou
Rhodes 22  Fretless