Fairlee Creek Fireworks

Donna

Jun 22, 2011, 2:17:21 PM6/22/11
to Chesapeake Bay Sailors
I'm considering sailing up to Fairlee Creek to see the fireworks on 2
July. Looking at the chart I think perhaps we'll anchor just north of
the tower. Going into the creek isn't an option due to our draft. The
barge will be at Shell Point according to LNM. Can anyone give me some
insight as to the conditions we might encounter anchoring that close
to the channel? We've only been at anchor in protected coves. I know
we'll be exposed if a storm comes through, but is that a busy area for
recreational boats?

Normally we head south from Rock Hall or over to Baltimore so this
will be our first experience sailing north.

Thanks,

Donna
Rock Hall, MD

Herrick Family

Jun 22, 2011, 7:52:25 PM6/22/11
to chesapeake-...@googlegroups.com
Donna:

Why not go into the little cove north of that point that forms the entrance to Fairlee. You can anchornorth and a bit east of the R2 dolphin. I'm sure you will get a good view of the fireworks and you will be farther away from any freighter or tug wake. You also won't be affected by any powerboat traffic as they usually head over to Middle River. That would be, in my book, preferable to anchoring in the Bay.

If the weather is planning on kicking up a bit, go north to Worton Creek for good protection.

Have a safe Fourth!

Tod

Sent from my iPhone

Donna R. Ferron

Jun 23, 2011, 5:52:04 AM6/23/11
to chesapeake-...@googlegroups.com
Tod,

We'll give your suggested area a try first. If it's too crowded maybe we'll head to Button Beach and then Worton Creek. One of those plans should work.

Thanks, Donna

Mike Vaccaro

Jun 23, 2011, 6:00:45 AM6/23/11
to chesapeake-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Donna,

With the fin keel on the 30 you don't have a draft problem getting into
Fairlee. We took Frisky there many times. It is a bit tricky getting in but
there is no problem finding a place to anchor unless it is super crowded.

Mike Vaccaro

"Resolve"
1995 Catalina 42 MKII WK2CP
Sailor's Wharf , Mill Creek
Annapolis, MD

Thanks,

Donna
Rock Hall, MD

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/chesapeake-bay-sailors?hl=en.

-----
No virus found in this message.
-----
No virus found in this message.

Donna R. Ferron

Jun 23, 2011, 6:22:30 AM6/23/11
to chesapeake-...@googlegroups.com
Mike,

Hey there! I'll take your word for it. I'm looking at my chart which says "shoaling reported" in the channel leading into Fairlee Creek and the surrounding depths are 5, 3 and 2 feet. Active Captain reports the channel depth at 6 feet but we recently plowed into the bottom at a charted 7-foot depth so we're a bit wary, especially at potentially blocking a channel on the busiest weekend of the year!

Donna

Mike Vaccaro

Jun 23, 2011, 6:29:41 AM6/23/11
to chesapeake-...@googlegroups.com
It would probably be best to make your first attempt at it when it is not so busy. Belly Button Beach and the anchorage just beyond toward the Warton Markers is a nice area also. I would think you will see the fireworks from there with no problem.

Herrick Family

Jun 23, 2011, 7:24:39 AM6/23/11
to chesapeake-...@googlegroups.com
Donna:

I think you mistook me, I wasn't suggesting that you go through the channel into Fairlee as you felt your draft was too deep. There has been shoaling in that channel.

If you look at the shoreline from just south of Fairlee going north towards Worton, you will see that north of the tower it comes to a point and it goes in, forming a slight cove. As you round that point you come to the R2 entrance mark for Fairlee Creek. The entrance channel goes SE. I was suggesting you anchor to the NNE of that R2 where the depths, according to my chart, were 11'. I was NOT suggesting you enter the channel for Fairlee.

What is the draft of your boat?

Tod

Sent from my iPhone

Donna R. Ferron

Jun 23, 2011, 11:21:16 AM6/23/11
to chesapeake-...@googlegroups.com
Tod,

No, I understood you and I'm leaning towards your suggestion. I responded to Mike saying that he entered the creek with no problems when he owned the same model boat that I have now. My draft is 5'3".

I think we'll check out the traffic and see how adventurous we feel when we get there. I made it in and out of Tilghman Creek to Claiborne Inlet last weekend so I'm feeling a bit proud of myself now and I'm not ready to lose the feeling. :)

Thanks for the input.

Donna

Herrick Family

Jun 23, 2011, 11:43:32 AM6/23/11
to chesapeake-...@googlegroups.com
Yea, I noticed that you responded to Mike after I pushed send. Chalk it up to being groggy when first waking up.

We draw 5' according to the builder and we go into Fairlee. I think we are a bit more than 5' though. Check out the tides when traversing that channel and avoid dead low tide. Keep close to the beach when going parallel except for when you are about 30 from the end of the spit as that is where the shoal forms. Go midchannel at that point. The cut between the spit and the shore is deep. Try to look for traffic coming out as they can force you to go where you didn't want to.

There is quite a strong current going through the slot. It makes a difference what you do depending upon whether you are going against the current or with it. You need to maintain steerage through the slot so goose the throttle as rounding the spit. I think it is easier to go in the creek rather than out. If you are leaving on a falling tide you tend to get pushed out of the channel if you don't turn left soon enough. The green marks (particularly that one closest to the end of the spit) was off station last year. I would suggest you look at your tide books and choose to traverse on a rising tide and you will do just fine. Your confidence will grow. It's not that difficult, just trying to give you pointers to help you shine.

Tod

Sent from my iPhone

Donna R. Ferron

Jun 23, 2011, 11:52:54 AM6/23/11
to chesapeake-...@googlegroups.com
Tod,

Pointers are what I want. Thanks!

Donna

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 11:43 AM, Herrick Family <glad...@comcast.net> wrote:
Yea, I noticed that you responded to Mike after I pushed send. Chalk it up to being groggy when first waking up.

John Jennings

Donna R. Ferron

Jun 23, 2011, 12:26:59 PM6/23/11
to chesapeake-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, John J. That seals my decision. :)

Donna

John Jennings

Jun 26, 2011, 6:06:40 PM6/26/11
to chesapeake-...@googlegroups.com

Donna

Update on Fairlee Creek.  I was there yesterday and this am.  Still an adventure!!  They now have a red marker at the entrance.  This relieves some of the guess work.  Entering yesterday I was confronted with an oncoming power boat at the entrance.  Once you commit yourself there is not much you can do if you meet oncoming traffic except to stay the course.   Due to draft, of course power boats have more choices but I do not think they see it that way.  Due to trees at the entrance it is difficult to determine if you will meet oncoming power boat traffic until you are at the entrance with little choice other than to proceed.  You can see the mast of oncoming sailing vessels.  My entrance was uneventfulI.  We had adequate clearance.  Two large vessels would have a problem.

John J.

Donna R. Ferron

Jun 26, 2011, 7:08:01 PM6/26/11
to chesapeake-...@googlegroups.com