First Storm of the Season Headed Up

Steve Blakely

Aug 2, 2011, 7:11:30 AM8/2/11
to chesapeake-...@googlegroups.com

Steve

Aug 2, 2011, 11:49:02 AM8/2/11
to chesapeake-...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone have a Mast Mate system they would be willing to loan, or rent cheaply for a couple days?

If anyone does, I have the proper slides for my mast. I need to go up my mast and replace some things, along with securing a radar cable up the lower half. I'm too old to do the ascenders method. (Tried that and it was way too much effort. Last time I did it was 20 yrs ago). I'm located on the Maryland western shore.

Steve

Ralph Bibbus

Aug 2, 2011, 2:11:27 PM8/2/11
to chesapeake-...@googlegroups.com
Steve,
I have one you can borrow. Where are you located? I too am on the MD. western shore.
Ralph

Herrick Family

Aug 4, 2011, 1:07:17 PM8/4/11
to chesapeake-...@googlegroups.com

Hey Ralph, how do you like your MastMate? Can you reach the ends of your spreaders or at least the flag halyard blocks or are you too confined to the mast? How about reaching the steaming light on the front of the mast? Inquiring minds…

Tod

Ralph Bibbus

Aug 4, 2011, 3:51:52 PM8/4/11
to chesapeake-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tod,
I like the mast mate with one exception; mine has web steps unlike the later version that has steps covered with PVC tubing or something similar, the net effect of the latter being easier on the arches of my feet. I learned to overcome that by wearing shoes with a less flexible sole while going aloft; IE hiking boots. It isn't as comfortable as a bosun's chair but I can rig it and climb without assistance. I'd also recommend rigging a downhaul to keep it taught.
I can reach the spreader ends as well as the steaming lamp, albeit somewhat uncomfortably and it does take a bit of acrobatic skills and a jury rigged harness to reach to the spreader ends. Flag halyard blocks are no problem.
Ralph

Aug 4, 2011, 1:16:44 PM8/4/11
to chesapeake-...@googlegroups.com

There are a number of devices available for climbing the mast along with Mast Mate.  Some are:

http://www.mastmate.com/

http://www.topclimber.us/index.html

http://www.swisstech-america.com/index.html

Does anyone have recommendations having used some of these?

George H. Cummings

Pearson 34 “Quintan”

2610 Glebe Road

Mathews, Va. 23109

804-741-5000

image001.jpg

Brian Wheeler

Aug 8, 2011, 12:14:18 PM8/8/11
to chesapeake-...@googlegroups.com
I have a topclimber, used it a couple of times, especially when installing lazy jacks.  Bottom line I think, is that there is just not going to be an easy way to climb the mast unless you install an elevator.  The topclimber work getting you up there, and once you get there its comfortable - even though I'm afraid of heights -- and I was up there for awhile drilling and tapping screws...  The downside is that its alot of work inchworming up the line even though you're using just your legs, so you'll need to rest as you go up, so add that time in. You'll also hang backwards doing it since its impossible it get the line tight enough to keep it verticle at the pressure point where you are.

I recommend doing it on a cloudy cool day...

_________________
Brian Wheeler
wheelerwbrian at yahoo dot com
Magothy River
Chesapeake Bay
1988 Ericson 38-200
S/Y Palmetto Blues

image001.jpg

Steve

Aug 11, 2011, 1:14:05 AM8/11/11
to chesapeake-...@googlegroups.com
I have an unused (new in box) Navico Tillerpilot2500, an autopilot for tiller steered boats. It is in the original box, original packing, with the small parts & mounts still in their plastic bags.

This is the larger of two models, which has more thrust, longer throw, and faster lock-to-lock time. I bought this some years ago but never used it as I got a boat with a wheel before the next sailing season. Similar to the Raymarine (former Autohelm) 2000, except this is the design which has the sturdy mechanical controls (wheel) instead of the leaky electric keypad pushbuttons.

For sale at $250. I am regularly traveling between Annapolis, Baltimore, DC

(I have a remote for it and will provide if I locate it. But it is not specifically offered as part of the bundle)