Debris in bay

Della Barba, Joe

Sep 13, 2011, 2:58:31 PM9/13/11
to chesapeake-...@googlegroups.com

The Bay looks REALLY bad today. Half of Pennsylvania is floating south under the bridge L

Joe Della Barba

Steve Blakely

Sep 13, 2011, 3:18:11 PM9/13/11
to chesapeake-...@googlegroups.com
CBF Bay Daily has a very depressing sat photo of this -- this flood is probably second only to Hurricane Agnes in terms of the pollution load coming down from PA:

Only possible silver lining is that it's at the end of the season rather than the beginning, but either way it will be crushing on grass, crabs, oysters, oxygen...everything except snakeheads.

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 2:58 PM, Della Barba, Joe <Joe.Del...@ssa.gov> wrote:

The Bay looks REALLY bad today. Half of Pennsylvania is floating south under the bridge L

Joe Della Barba

-- sb
Steve Blakely
IP 26, Bearboat
Galesville, MD
blak...@gmail.com
Travel clips: https://bearboat.wordpress.com/
Photos: https://sblakelyphotos.wordpress.com/

Dave Muller

Sep 13, 2011, 4:48:43 PM9/13/11
to chesapeake-...@googlegroups.com

How does the Chester look?

Lee

Sep 13, 2011, 8:29:55 PM9/13/11
to chesapeake-...@googlegroups.com

We went to the boat today with inspirations of going sailing, but there was so much debris around the boat and visible in the water that we bailed out.  There were logs, grasses, buckets, branches and whatever else you can think of.  @ the mouth of the Magothy on Deep creek.

-Lee

  ~ ~  _/)  ~  ☼  -Lee

Kevin Rooney

Sep 13, 2011, 9:06:17 PM9/13/11
to chesapeake-...@googlegroups.com
I kayak regularly on the Potomac in and near DC. I was on the river yesterday and it was pretty nasty -- the worst I've seen it in years.

Della Barba, Joe

Sep 14, 2011, 8:19:17 AM9/14/11
to chesapeake-...@googlegroups.com

Not quite as bad, but I can’t see it from the air like the Bay. I’ll find out Friday – headed to Saint Mike’s for the weekend.

I wouldn’t run a powerboat on plane anyplace in the Bay right now.

Joe Della Barba

Steve Blakely

Sep 14, 2011, 10:51:10 AM9/14/11
to chesapeake-...@googlegroups.com

Auspicious

Sep 14, 2011, 8:49:15 PM9/14/11
to Chesapeake Bay Sailors
Leaving Back Creek Annapolis at first light in the morning bound for
Church Creek off South River. Will report back.

Auspicious

Sep 16, 2011, 8:07:25 AM9/16/11
to Chesapeake Bay Sailors
On Sep 14, 8:49 pm, Auspicious <dskoln...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Leaving Back Creek Annapolis at first light in the morning bound for
> Church Creek off South River. Will report back.

It was an interesting trip. Debris in Severn River included several
propane tanks, at least three picnic table benches, some good sized
logs, a lot of firewood, and a huge number of patches of grass and
similar vegetation. In the Bay itself there was mostly branches and
small logs. The South River was pretty clear.

Southbound current in the Bay was consistently 1-1/2 to 2 knots.

dave
S/V Auspicious

Steve Blakely

Sep 16, 2011, 9:20:45 AM9/16/11
to chesapeake-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for this report -- am planning to head out Sat. from West River, so it's useful to have an idea of what I should be looking for.

--sb

Della Barba, Joe

Dec 16, 2011, 10:18:28 AM12/16/11
to chesapeake-...@googlegroups.com