Jellyfish

Steve Blakely

Jun 6, 2011, 3:09:54 PM6/6/11
to chesapeake-...@googlegroups.com
Interesting NYT story today on jellyfish -- written by a guy who has never had the pleasure of meeting a swarm of ChesBay sea nettles in their own element:

-- sb
Steve Blakely
IP 26, Bearboat
Galesville, MD
blak...@gmail.com
Travel clips: https://bearboat.wordpress.com/
Photos: https://sblakelyphotos.wordpress.com/

Lee

Jun 6, 2011, 3:41:02 PM6/6/11
to chesapeake-...@googlegroups.com

Very interesting article. Some time ago while in St Mikes I made the mistake of tossing our steamed crab shell debris over the side thinking that it was natural to environment. The following day the boat was surrounded by 100’s of jelly fish and when I went to charge the batteries my engine intake strainer became clogged with jelly fish. Lesson learned and confirmed in the article that you just posted. The definitely like the salty water.

Thanks –SB

-Lee

  ~ ~  _/)  ~  ☼  -Lee

Steve

Jun 7, 2011, 10:44:40 AM6/7/11
to chesapeake-...@googlegroups.com
Here's another fascinating take on the effects of jellyfish mass upon our ecosystem:

Jellyfish blooms shunt food energy from fish to bacteria
http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-06-jellyfish-blooms-shunt-food-energy.html

Della Barba, Joe

Jun 7, 2011, 11:45:04 AM6/7/11
to chesapeake-...@googlegroups.com

Anyone run the Narrows yet?

I may be out in the next day or two to survey it. I need to go through on a falling tide Friday night L

Joe Della Barba  Coquina

Steve Blakely

Jun 7, 2011, 2:15:39 PM6/7/11
to chesapeake-...@googlegroups.com
This is in today's LNM (pg. 1)6. Note #C: An approach light is now a danger-shoal warning.

MD – UPPER CHESAPEAKE BAY – KENT ISLAND NARROWS NORTH – AIDS TO NAVIGATION CHANGE
Due to shoaling the following changes will take place in kent Island Narrows on or about 30 June, 2011:
A. Kent Island Narrows North Approach Lighted Buoy 3 (LLNR 26417) will be established in approximate position 38-59-02.021N, 076-14-35.164W,
FL G 4s.
B. Kent Island Narrows North Approach Light 3 (LLNR 26420) will be changed to Light 4, Fl R 4s.
C. Kent Island Narrows North Approach Light 4 (LLNR 26425) will be changed to Warning Daybeacon A worded “DANGER SHOAL”.
Chart : 12272

--sb

Brian Wheeler

Jun 10, 2011, 10:18:51 AM6/10/11
to chesapeake-...@googlegroups.com
My neighbor, another sailor, blames powerboaters leaving the channel too soon under speed  -- sez their props are pushing mud into the channel.  I wasn't sure what to think...

Brian Wheeler
wheelerwbrian at yahoo dot com
Magothy River
Chesapeake Bay