come to Toronto June 23-25 - CFP for History, Theory,, and Qualitative Inquiry in Psychology section of CPA

Alexandra Rutherford

Nov 15, 2022, 11:37:08 AM11/15/22
to Cheiron, Michael Pettit
See attached and below, and consider coming to Toronto next June - maybe after the Cheiron conference???

---

Call for Proposals – History, Theory, and Qualitative Inquiry (HTQ) Section of the Canadian Psychological Association

CPA Convention, 2023

June 23-25, Sheraton Centre, Toronto, ON

The History, Theory, and Qualitative Inquiry (HTQ) Section (formerly History & Philosophy section) is seeking proposals for symposia, individual oral paper presentations, as well as posters for the Canadian Psychological Association’s 83rd Annual Convention (Friday, June 23rd to Sunday, June 25, 2022) in Toronto, Ontario.

Reflecting a new and broader section name, we hope that the 2023 Convention will serve as an opportunity to renew old friendships and to start many new conversations. Importantly, we seek to expand upon the section’s traditional focus on historical and philosophical research in psychology to include critical psychological scholarship and qualitative research. To some extent the section has always been a home for critical and qualitative inquiry. Alternative approaches to psychology such as participatory approaches, discursive, and cultural psychology are also very welcome. We welcome all proposals that fall broadly within the newly expanded scope of the section. We especially welcome proposals from students.

The HTQ section is pleased to announce two travel scholarshipsworth $200 dollars each intended to support student delegates at all levels of study. To apply, submit the following:

  • Title and abstract submitted to CPA.
  • Name, program, and stage of studies (e.g. second year masters)
  • A short description of the relevance and potential for impact in domains linked to History and Philosophy of Psychology
  • Estimated costs for travel and registration for the conference.

Applications will be assessed based on scholarly promise and priority will be given to students travelling from out of province. Notice of awards will be sent to applicants by February 15, 2023. Applications should be submitted to the chair of the HTQ section (odoh...@uoguelph.ca) no later than December 15, 2022. Please include “HTQ Student Travel Award” in the subject line of the email.

An important change relevant to section members and anyone interested in joining us is that CPA has introduced a new Section Associate membership, which is significantly less expensive than full CPA membership.

There are several different types and lengths for individual spoken presentations (for our section we encourage either 25-minute conversation sessions or 25-minute review sessions) and group presentations (panel discussions and symposia). Details about these different formats can be found here: https://convention.cpa.ca/scientific-program/presentation-types/. The Call for Submissions is now open: https://events.decorporate.ca/CPA2023/abstract/login.php. The submission deadline is December 14.

If you have questions, please contact section chair Kieran O’Doherty (odoh...@uoguelph.ca) or program chair Michael Pettit (mpe...@yorku.ca).

We hope to see many of you in Toronto!

With best wishes,

Kieran O'Doherty and Michael Pettit

Alexandra Rutherford PhD CPsych.  (she/her pronouns)
Professor, Dept. of Psychology, York University
4700 Keele St., Toronto, ON M3J 1P3

Faculty members in the Historical, Theoretical, and Critical Studies of Psychology at York University are committed to examining and changing our own practices in light of psychology's historic and current role in perpetuating anti-black racism and racist science. We are working to ensure that the HTC program curriculum (course syllabi, reading lists, etc.), at both undergraduate and graduate levels, incorporates anti-racist and decolonial scholarship and critically interrogates the racist and colonial foundations on which institutional Psychology is based.

York University acknowledges its presence on the traditional territory of many Indigenous Nations. The area known as Tkaronto has been taken care of by the Anishinabek Nation, the Haudenosaunee Confederacy, the Wendat, and the Métis. It is now home to many Indigenous peoples. We acknowledge the current treaty holders and the Mississaugas of the New Credit First Nation. This territory is subject of the Dish With One Spoon Wampum Belt Covenant, an agreement to peaceably share and care for the Great Lakes region.

Call for Proposals-CPA 2023 Nov 14.docx