SAD NEWS - Saulo Araujo

Rodrigo Miranda

May 2, 2024, 10:34:53 PMMay 2
to Cheiron Forum
Dear friends,

With a broken heart I'm sharing some bad news: our friend Saulo Araujo just passed away.

I don't have any further information, but considering that many of you were pretty close to him, I thought it will be important to communicate that.

As soon as we have some news, I let you know.

Rodrigo

Henderikus Stam

May 3, 2024, 6:25:05 AMMay 3
to 'Larry Stern' via Cheiron Forum
Dear Rodrigo,

This is terrible news.  Saulo was an excellent scholar and a good friend.  He will be missed.

Hank Stam

Rodrigo Miranda

May 3, 2024, 6:40:42 AMMay 3
to Cheiron Forum
Hello all,

Chris, he was 62 yo. Rumors say he felt sick ans went into a surgery, passing away in it. I'm still with no news about the situation.

I'm supposing there are some related to his previous heart condition.

Rodrigo

Christopher Green

May 3, 2024, 9:28:47 AMMay 3
to cheiro...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Rodrigo. I did know that he had a heart condition.
Best,
Chris
Christopher D Green
Department of Psychology
York University
Toronto, ON M3J 1P3
Canada

Weidman, Nadine Michele

May 3, 2024, 5:22:14 PMMay 3
to cheiro...@googlegroups.com
I am very sorry to hear this news, and I echo Hank’s tribute. Saulo was indeed an excellent scholar, as well as a kind person, generous with his expertise and his time. He will be very much missed.

Nadine Weidman

May 4, 2024, 4:38:14 PMMay 4
to cheiro...@googlegroups.com

My heart sinks. Thanks, Rodrigo, for letting us know.

  Saulo was indeed a wonderful scholar and colleague, with great intellectual curiosity and deep research in the founding figures of psychology.

  Consider his Wundt and the Philosophical Foundations of Psychology: A Reappraisal (Springer 2016) and, coauthored with Lisa Osbeck, Ever Not Quite, Pluralism(s) in William James and Contemporary Psychology (Cambridge University Press, June 2023). And you can get a taste of their insights in Saulo de Freitas Araujo and Lisa Osbeck, What does everyone mean by ‘pluralism’ and why should we care? https://www.cambridgeblog.org/2023/06/what-does-everyone-mean-by-pluralism-and-why-should-we-care/

  This year, I had been planning to work with Saulo on a collection of James’s early works, James Between Childhood and Fame, to explore the youthful seeds of his later ideas.

  The world has lost a sterling human being and scholarship has lost a bright light.

Paul Croce

May 5, 2024, 8:18:03 AMMay 5
to cheiro...@googlegroups.com
Dear Paul and everyone,
    Thanks for all the information about Saulo's recent work and the many lines of his influence. He distinguished himself early in Wundt scholarship, but he did so much more. He introduced me to Brazilian colleagues who have changed my life and my outlook. It will take us some time to understand what he has given us.
     Well done, dear Saulo, my great 'Leipzig friend'!
--David K Robinson

Rodrigo Miranda

May 6, 2024, 10:00:32 AMMay 6
to cheiro...@googlegroups.com
Dear colleagues,

I was just corrected about Saulo's age. He was born in 1971 and not in 1962. Sorry, my mistake.

Rodrigo

Paul Croce

May 9, 2024, 5:05:18 PMMay 9
to cheiro...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, David and Rodrigo.

  David, you describe a bridge builder—across Brazil, Germany, and the US. And his breadth was matched by his depth in understanding in the works of Wundt and James and in ongoing psychological debates.

  And Rodrigo, your fact check is a reminder that he was taken from his family, from scholarship, and from the world while still in his prime.

Paul