Archival Kismet online conference - call for proposals; due October 1st

Alexandra Rutherford

Sep 22, 2021, 12:03:02 PM9/22/21
to fhhs-a...@googlegroups.com, Cheiron, es...@googlegroups.com
Hello members of FHHS, Cheiron, and ESHHS  -

Courtney Thompson at Mississippi State University is hosting the second Archival Kismet conference, on-line, on Dec. 10th and 11th. The first one was a great success. The description of the conference is available here.

Proposals for this year's conference can be submitted here (and are due by October 1st):

The Fall 2021 meeting of Archival Kismet will be held virtually December 10-11, 2021. This will be a themed meeting, entitled “Silence or Screams? Archives of Race, Gender, & Sexuality.” We particularly encourage scholars working on aspects of identity and their intersections, including (but not limited to) race, gender, and sexuality in the history of science and medicine, to submit proposals. This non-traditional virtual conference is a forum for history researchers and those in allied disciplines to share early research findings, focusing on the objects, artifacts, and ephemera of the archive. All presentations should be informal and centered around a specific “cool thing” or archival “find” relating to the theme—a poster, a letter, an object, a film clip, a concept, etc., or a small set of related materials. Think of your presentation like history show-and-tell. You do not need to have conclusions or interventions staked out, and you should not present on material you have previously publish

I will be helping Courtney review proposals and participating in the conference, and we especially encourage participation by historians of the human sciences, psychiatry, health, medicine, etc.. I encourage you to submit if you have an interesting archival find you would like to discuss.

Please feel free to distribute the call widely!

Alexandra Rutherford PhD CPsych.  (she/her pronouns)
Professor, Dept. of Psychology, York University
4700 Keele St., Toronto, ON M3J 1P3

Faculty members in the Historical, Theoretical, and Critical Studies of Psychology at York University stand in solidarity with the current protests against anti-Blackness, systemic racism, and police brutality. We are committed to examining and changing our own practices in light of psychology's historic and current role in perpetuating anti-black racism and racist science. We are working to ensure that the HTC program curriculum (course syllabi, reading lists, etc.), at both undergraduate and graduate levels, incorporates anti-racist and decolonial scholarship and critically interrogates the racist and colonial foundations on which institutional Psychology is based. As a small start, we are building bibliographies of relevant history of psychology literature that can be drawn on to facilitate these goals. A draft of the first bibliography, on race and racism in the history of psychology, is available here. Work on these resources is ongoing. We welcome suggestions.

York University acknowledges its presence on the traditional territory of many Indigenous Nations. The area known as Tkaronto has been taken care of by the Anishinabek Nation, the Haudenosaunee Confederacy, the Wendat, and the Métis. It is now home to many Indigenous peoples. We acknowledge the current treaty holders and the Mississaugas of the New Credit First Nation. This territory is subject of the Dish With One Spoon Wampum Belt Covenant, an agreement to peaceably share and care for the Great Lakes region.