Cheiron 2022 Book Prize - Call for Submissions

Larry Stern

Sep 9, 2022, 4:43:04 PM9/9/22
to cheiro...@googlegroups.com
Call for Submissions: 2023 Cheiron Book Prize

Cheiron welcomes – and encourages – authors and publishers to submit entries for Cheiron’s Book Prize for the year 2022. The deadline for submissions is October 31, 2022. Eligible works include original book-length historical studies, written in English, and published after October 15th 2021.

Subject matter should focus on either specific or more general aspects of the social and behavioral sciences including, but not limited to, histories of psychology, psychiatry, anthropology, sociology, and social statistics, as well as historical biographies of scholars in these areas.

Works that focus primarily on the history of medicine or history of education are not suitable entries, unless they are strongly tied to the history of the social/behavioral/human sciences. Edited collections or anthologies are not eligible, nor are conventional textbooks.

Submissions will be judged on the basis of their scholarly character, depth of research, and the importance of their contribution to their field of study.

As noted above, both authors and publishers can submit entries for the award. Members of Cheiron, too, can nominate titles, and this is encouraged as well. If you have come across a book that you believe merits consideration, please let me know and I will contact both the author and the publisher.

The author of the winning book will receive $500 plus up to $300 in travel expenses to attend the Annual Meeting of Cheiron in June 2023, where the prize will be awarded. If a winner is not able to attend the meeting, a remote-electronic (Zoom or its equivalent) presentation can be arranged. Announcements of the award will be widely circulated to relevant journals and organizations.

To enter the competition, authors or their publishers should mail two copies of the entry, clearly labeled "2023 Cheiron Book Prize, to:

Larry Stern
2703 Sylvan Way.
McKinney, TX 75072
USA

If you have any questions, please contact Larry Stern at lst...@collin.edu

Larry Stern

Executive Officer, Cheiron
Professor of Sociology
Collin College
2800 E. Spring Creek Pkwy
Plano, TX 75024
(972) 881-5608
http://faculty.collin.edu/lstern

"Man's mind stretched to a new idea never goes back to its original dimensions."
Oliver Wendell Holmes, American Author & Physician, 1809 – 1894

 "For every human problem, there is a neat, simple solution; and it is always wrong."
H. L. Mencken, Editor & Critic, 1880 - 1956

The views and opinions that I express in these emails, unless otherwise specifically stated, solely reflect my personal views and opinions as a scholar and citizen and should not be taken to reflect those of Collin College or its administrators. Put another way, unless specifically indicated, I am not speaking on behalf of the College in any way, shape, or form in emails that I send out.